Anyone imported a second hand European Van in 2021? VAT payable or not? (1 Viewer)

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, I have imported second hand vans from Europe before without being charged VAT when I declared for NOVA.
I read a few threads saying that things had changed in January 2021 and that VAT would be payable....even on secondhand vans.

I am currently looking at buying another one in France. 2021 registered. Clearly, a 20% added cost would alter my thinking!

Has anyone got actual experience of importing one in 2021? Thanks, great forum, by the way.

sonar

Free Member
Dec 3, 2021
Funster No
MH

below is. The import letter sent to importers now and in the past.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
No direct experance but if you are buying from a dealer he should be able to sell it ex vat which would offset some of the UK vat if not all.
I don't know how vat is apied on s/h vehicles in France but in Germany they appear to charge on the full sale price.
The vat only on the profit is optional under EU rules so it depends on local laws.

Upvote 0
Nov 14, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
Just sold
Exp
since 1996
I imported mine (LHD, secondhand, PVC) at the end of 2018, from Germany. I know this doesn't help much but over the years it has got increasingly more complicated to import. Ours is the 5th we have imported and whereas it used to be a relatively simple process, not so now. The closure of local DVLA offices did not help and the complexity of the process is, I think, designed to put people off doing personal imports. Incidentally we paid VAT (MWST) on the van in Germany, therfore did not need to pay VAT on import. I'm not sure what the price differences are these days, but with our PVC it was the European layout that appealed to us, with the fixed rear bed.

There is another thread (link below) which seems to deal with current issues around importing that may be of more help.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back