Anyone got a Webasto Dualtop RHA102/Evo 8? (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a Webasto Dualtop RHA100. The boiler has sprung a leak and, since it is £600 for a new one, I am considering an upgrade.
I have in mind an Evo8 with the 2000w electric element and programmable controller.
Whilst the unit is phenomenally good running on diesel, has anyone got any experience of running such a unit on EHU and is it any good on the electric only setting?

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Hi john, try full timer where he works they fit diesil heaters he might have spares etc or an old one that can be cannibalised.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Hi john, try full timer where he works they fit diesil heaters he might have spares etc or an old one that can be cannibalised.

HI Colyn
Not really interested in repairing the old one. We are going to be full timing ourselves on EHU. No point in burning diesel if we are paying for leccy!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Our dual top has a 1 and 2 KW setting and we have found in the UK even the lowest setting adequate at night.

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Not had mine serviced since new, 5 years ago. Still whisper quite and faultless.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Our dual top has a 1 and 2 KW setting and we have found in the UK even the lowest setting adequate at night.

Thanks for the heads up DBK.
Is it possible to heat water effectively on leccy or does it take forever?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I forgot to add the programmable controller is correctly described in that you can program it, but it is a long-winded procedure and once done you won't want to alter it! We just turn the temperature up and down as required. :)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks for the heads up DBK.
Is it possible to heat water effectively on leccy or does it take forever?
No, it's quite quick. We've never timed it but if you were in a hurry giving it a blast with the diesel would be the answer. It is equivalent to something like 8Kw. I could do a trial tomorrow if you want - the van is on the drive filled with water for our now cancelled trip to France.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
No, it's quite quick. We've never timed it but if you were in a hurry giving it a blast with the diesel would be the answer. It is equivalent to something like 8Kw. I could do a trial tomorrow if you want - the van is on the drive filled with water for our now cancelled trip to France.

No that's OK. Thanks for the offer though!
I was concerned that the heat transfer from the element to the boiler would be slow, given that it is simply inserted into the burner unit vanes!
I will be on the phone tomorrow to a couple of suppliers to get the best price.
It will be an easy install. The new one will bolt straight in, the hole in the furniture is the same for our manual control and the programmable one and all that needs changing is the wiring harness and adding a 240v supply.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well, this won't be cheap.
Apparently, Webasto don't allow supply only of the Dualtop because it's too complicated.
Complicated, my arse! It's a bloody heater and boiler, not rocket science!
I am awaiting a price from my local dealer. In the meantime, I have isolated the water supply from the unit and it's cold showers only......

Reactions: DBK

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Presumed you've tried Heatso for supply? They do a lot of that sort of thing and might be able to source for you.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Van Bitz were until recently Webasto service agents and we have installed dozens of Dual Top systems

They work exceptionally well on Diesel, and very well on mains

We only gave up the servicing as whilst Webasto are a great company to deal with, and their products well engineered, but some of the companies that install their products want shooting.

This of course leaves the service agents to deal with the customer, and explain that "yes, their trip is cancelled, and no it is not covered under Webasto warranty"

The biggest fault was the failure to clean out the clear swarf from the water tanks when the pipes were fitted, leaving wormlike spirals of translucent polypropylene to work their way around the system and end up converging in the capillaries and valves within the Dualtop

Which then has to be removed and rebuilt.

So excellent kit, when fitted properly

We have loads of spares in stock if you ever need anything

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Well, this won't be cheap.
Apparently, Webasto don't allow supply only of the Dualtop because it's too complicated.
Complicated, my arse! It's a bloody heater and boiler, not rocket science!
I am awaiting a price from my local dealer. In the meantime, I have isolated the water supply from the unit and it's cold showers only......
The control system is quite complicated. Ours started playing up one night so I got the local Webasto agent to look at it. He plugged it in to his laptop and was able to view it's entire life, including error messages etc. But as long as it doesn't require any sort of commissioning I don't see why you can't fit one yourself and if it does you should be able get someone out to do it who has the computer.

Ours has three 12v supplies, one fused at 5 amps the others 10. If replacing the fuses the smallest goes in first.

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Agreed.
Chausson made a pigs ear of the installation of ours.
Wiring too thin, air intakes in the firing line of spray from the nearside front wheel, etc.
I have addressed all the issues on ours so a replacement unit is going to be an easy job.
We will see what that 2 hours is going to cost me!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as the electric element is 2kw and the deisel burner 8kw its not going to be as powerfull on electric but i doubt it runs at 8kw much anyway. One thing deisel heaters seem to do well is modulate down to the required load

OP
OP
jonandshell

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Well, it is now all on and commissioned, courtesy of M A Autocool of Norwich.
Good efficient service and a very knowledgeable engineer, which is essential for these units.
Leccy performance seems OK and it is nice to know that we aren't using our diesel when we are paying for EHU.
The new control is fairly straightforward too. Although it is a shame the timer can't be used for water heating only in summer mode. We aim to try it on winter mode but setting the cabin temperature really low to see if that works.

We'll see how it goes.

Urs4_2008

Free Member
Aug 12, 2016
Vestskogen, Norway
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-I
Exp
Since 2009
Not had mine serviced since new, 5 years ago. Still whisper quite and faultless.
So did mine until about 6000 hours and more. Then one fan after another needed replacing, then overheating issues. But until then it was, after modifiing the electricals to make it start even If the batteries weren’t fully charged, an excellent unit. The problems with the original wiring design was not Webastos fault but the Dethleffs factory installers / designers. Clever unit

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Van Bitz were until recently Webasto service agents and we have installed dozens of Dual Top systems

We only gave up the servicing as whilst Webasto are a great company to deal with, and their products well engineered, but some of the companies that install their products want shooting.

This of course leaves the service agents to deal with the customer, and explain that "yes, their trip is cancelled, and no it is not covered under Webasto warranty"

The biggest fault was the failure to clean out the clear swarf from the water tanks when the pipes were fitted, leaving wormlike spirals of translucent polypropylene to work their way around the system and end up converging in the capillaries and valves within the Dualtop

But you could still install one?

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
what would your cost and availability be to fit an external one be Eddie?
This thread is quite old now,

So wouldn’t want to quote, sorry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back