Anybody know what this is please? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi
I have just bought an 18 plate Hymer and have found this tool/ implement in a drawer.
Does anybody know what it's for. It seems to have some sort of key in the end.
IMG_0405.JPG
IMG_0406.JPG

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Lemon Juice Extractor?
Or a very Blunt Dart:D
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If is part of the cassette when you have the Thetford equivalent of a SOG, fits in the hole on the underside of the cassette and opens the valve when you slide the cassette in place. If you have a genuine SOG with the vent for it in the top of the cassette they don't fit it.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Landy Andy Does that mean I don't need it.
My problem is that the wrong instructions have been supplied with the van ?

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+

This is the type of thread I stay with Motorhome Fun the banter aside, someone has a problem that might be simple to those in the know but a Funster knows and here Landry Andy goes a little further seeks out the parts catalogue and directs the OP to a visual answer.

well done LA(y)

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Landy Andy Does that mean I don't need it.
My problem is that the wrong instructions have been supplied with the van ?
I can’t tell you for sure, but sounds like Lenny HB knows that it isn’t required. I don’t run SOG, I just use the Thetford version so I do need and use that part. If you are using SOG then it doesn’t make sense for it to vent, or take in air from another source, so part would be surplus.
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I can’t tell you for sure, but sounds like Lenny HB knows that it isn’t required. I don’t run SOG, I just use the Thetford version so I do need and use that part. If you are using SOG then it doesn’t make sense for it to vent, or take in air from another source, so part would be surplus.
Andy
Our last van a Hymer Exsis-i they connected the SOG pipework into the Thetford vent.
Current van the SOG vent is in the top of the cassette and the parts for the Thetford version came with the van in a bag of bits including the filter , as the Thetford version is now standard (didn't tell you that).
There must be a reason they have done it this way, I did look at converting it so it vents via the Thetford vent but it involves taking the whole toilet assembly out to access the underneath.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
attach it to a battery drill and it can be used to cure constipation
... of a coffee frother! (y)

You've actually given me an idea ... I have long wanted a battery operated whisk which I can use in the MH but the ones you can buy are awful with very low battery power and take an age to do anything except splatter the contents everywhere, but if I use the attachments from them and stick them in the end of my little rechargeable drill it will become a multi-tool! :D2

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Or it could be the plastic insert (Handle) for a cloths lint removing brush. Seriously though, its what Lenny HB and Landy Handy have said, part 33 of the Thetford cassette SOG system. I only know this has I saw the very same item in my cassette when I replaced the top seal last week, and being inquisitive removed the small oblong plastic cover which sits over the very part in question. See attached images.

Attachments

• Bottom of cassette showing SOG Plunger Thing.JPG
    Bottom of cassette showing SOG Plunger Thing.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Top of SOG valve after removing top cover on cassette .JPG
    Top of SOG valve after removing top cover on cassette .JPG
    66 KB · Views: 31
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
... of a coffee frother! (y)

You've actually given me an idea ... I have long wanted a battery operated whisk which I can use in the MH but the ones you can buy are awful with very low battery power and take an age to do anything except splatter the contents everywhere, but if I use the attachments from them and stick them in the end of my little rechargeable drill it will become a multi-tool! :D2

You might even be able to emulsify the contents of the Thetford with it......Result!! multi purpose tool. :D

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Not quite sure how a simple question on a obscure item found by "Boycott" in the drawer of his newly acquired MoHo has turned into a thread about toilets, nevertheless I for one are glad it has. There are various quotes reference "Top fitted SOG" what is a top fitted SOG does it vent via the top of the vehicle. Some of you may have seen from a previous thread of mine relating to this same subject. I have almost all the components that would make one think my Thetford cassette has a fan assisted SOG system, but there is no sign of a fan or for that matter no wires.
So I assume that with the vent valve always being in the open position whilst the cassette is in place the cassette is vented as the toilet is flushed.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Without SOG when the cassette is in place the vent is open, unless the internal water level is very very high, at which point a float valve inside the cassette closes. The fan only operates when button is pressed, but it is open to air all the time.

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Without SOG when the cassette is in place the vent is open, unless the internal water level is very very high, at which point a float valve inside the cassette closes. The fan only operates when button is pressed, but it is open to air all the time.
Thanks Andy I was thinking of retro fitting the fan, I think I might have to change the toilet flush panel inside the MoHo as well as the wiring element. a lot of work for very little benefit me thinks.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back