Another trip to the vets ... Tazzy this time (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Apart from our elderly Romy (she's 16 and has Cushings disease) needing to have her rabies jab done and a prescription for her meds and therefore is going to the vets on Monday, our little Tazzy needs to go too!

Tazzy has always had issues with her teeth being dirty and had to have her top front centre ones and a large side one taken out previously along with a clean, as she's got a small mouth and hasn't the strength of Romy (staffy/greyhound) and Lily (Patterdale) she can't eat tough stuff like they can but the lack of teeth hasn't made any difference at all. Although she has yet another large side one that's going bad which has refused to drop out despite being extremely loose and her remaining front bottom teeth are a little bit loose they've been like that for a long time but haven't got any worse and don't seem to bother her so we've just cleaned them every now and then to keep them as good as we can.

However she's also got a small lump on her tummy which she's had for a while but it's got a bit bigger so as we've been thinking about her having a dental again I took her to the vets about 2 weeks ago and the vet thinks it's just a harmless fatty lump which is good news but the bad news is he wants to take out not only her large loose tooth but her bottom front ones too! I said we don't really want her to lose these but he said he will need to ... hmmmm...... ?

At the time we were expecting to go away sooner so as they weren't bothering her and the lump didn't appear to be anything nasty we didn't want to risk her being poorly before we went and/or not being able to enjoy her holiday so we decided we'd get them sorted when we got back from holiday. As we now have a booking for 8th December on Eurotunnel and have an approximate return date we rang the vet today to book Tazzy in for when we get back but they said they've got a slot tomorrow to do both if we want to! Obviously we were a bit concerned if she'll be okay to go on holiday but as we have already delayed our departure date they said she should be fine by then and as she'll be with us all the time we can ensure she's okay.

So ... my Tazzy (aka 'Mademoiselle of the Fart') is going in tomorrow morning ... we haven't told her though as she does NOT like going to the vets* and will give me one of her massive sulky looks if she knows! :think:

*When I took her to the vets I saw a tall strapping chap and told him she might snap as she doesn't like going and especially not if they need to look in her mouth, so he kept well away with his folded arms rested on the side of the table whilst I showed him her teeth. When I'd showed him the teeth I must have tickled her nose so she had an almighty sneeze ... well I'd never seen a vet move so fast! He fair shot across the room then realised it was just a sneeze and started laughing! :LOL:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Hope all goes well at the vets and you get off for your trip okay.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
When ours have had dentals they recover quickly and much sweeter breath too. I would think 2 weeks to recover will be plenty of time. they recover much quicker than us old farts.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well Tazzy has been in to the vets and was done last due to the amount of work they were carrying out on her so I didn't get to pick her up until nearly 5.00 pm, that's from hubby taking her in at 8.30 am. She was a bit zoned out as you'd expect but other than that seemed okay and has been snuggled on the couch next to me, just going out for a pee. The vet said she's had a big dose of antibiotics and painkillers, including morphine, but this hasn't stopped her appetite so she's had a little bit of 'light' dog food (supplied by the vet) and a slurp of water which should keep her going, she can't have more as it might upset her due to the anaesthetic.

So, what did they do to my baby ....

The tummy lump as expected it was just a fatty deposit and came out completely being 'well encased' so no nasty bits left behind; she's got a big curved scar though. ? They've used dissolving stitches so she won't need them removing thank goodness.

As for the dental work ... she's had 13 ... yes THIRTEEN teeth ... taken out! ? She'd previously had 5 taken out when other dentals were done so from starting off with 42 she's now down to 24!!! ? I haven't had a close look at exactly which teeth have been taken out as I don't want to disturb or upset her.

She's back at the vets for a check-up on Friday afternoon then again next week if needs but they don't anticipate any issues so should be well enough to go away.

She keeps having little naps which is the best thing for her and occasionally the head will come up and she'll look at me as if to say ... "Don't leave me Mummy.". Oh how I wish I could go through it for her.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hope Tazzy recovers quickly!
But after all those teeth out she will be on softer food until her gums heal .hope you get way as planned.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Further update ... even though she only really missed a couple of meals she's eating as if she's been starved ... I don't know what they gave her during the op but she's scoffing everything she can ... she's a right little piggy now!

She had a check-up today and the vet is happy with her recovery but has given her 5 more anti-inflammatory tablets as her tummy is quite bruised from the op (£2.40 each!) and wants to see her again next Thursday, fortunately they don't charge extra for post-op appointments.

Although we haven't seen her licking her wound the vet wanted her wear a 'cone of shame' to make sure she doesn't but I suggested instead that I put a baby vest on her (one of Lily's who has her own personal wardrobe!) so she won't be tempted to 'worry' it, here she is sporting one of Lily's 'convict' outfits!

Tazzy op.jpg

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I am being 'honked' at ... hubby has taken Romy and Lily out for walkies but of course Tazzy can't go and whilst yesterday she was content to stay on the couch with me, today she's stood by the lounge door 'honking' in disgust at being left at home! :giggle:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
No more honking! Tazzy went out for a short potter with hubby yesterday, with her 'prison uniform' on ... she thoroughly enjoyed it so I might get some peace and quiet now whilst he's out with them! :xgrin:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back