Am I an Old Age Pensioner

• Thread starter Thread starter 42208
  • Start date Start date

Deleted User
When do you become an Old Age Pensioner? I retired 6 years ago at 59 and draw a pension, does that make me an OAP? I am 65 in a couple of weeks time, the traditional age for a pensioner so will I become an OAP then?, however, because we all live longer the government will not start paying my pension until I am 65 3/4 ie next February, so is that when I become an OAP? And an even bigger question why don't I feel like one and it still all seems like something that is going to happen in the distant future not imminently?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I retired 8 years ago, i have another 6 years before i am in receipt of state pension, but more importantly a bus pass !!!

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
If you're a woman of a certain age then every time you near the pension age they bloody well raise it again! My state pensionable age went from 60 to 66 in a very short space of time.

On the pensions gov website they say 'The State Pension age is currently 65 for men. It’s gradually increasing for women from 60 to 65'. Absolute lies... there's nothing 'gradual' about it nor is it increasing to 65!

As you might be able to tell... I'm not happy about it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
If you're a woman of a certain age then every time you near the pension age they bloody well raise it again! My state pensionable age went from 60 to 66 in a very short space of time.

On the pensions gov website they say 'The State Pension age is currently 65 for men. It’s gradually increasing for women from 60 to 65'. Absolute lies... there's nothing 'gradual' about it nor is it increasing to 65!

Nor is my wife, same position as yourself, £30 - £40k I'm guessing

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I am 65 in a couple of weeks time, the traditional age for a pensioner so will I become an OAP then?, however, because we all live longer the government will not start paying my pension until I am 65 3/4 ie next February,
If you r birtday is in next few weeks then I thought you would have your pension paid as from september this year?
They were increasing it in 4 month periods.i,e mine was in january & pension starts from may 6th. after may 6th birthdays in next 4 months shoukld be paid in september . Then september to year end paid as from January 2020,
It is classed as from when pension date starts. Not that you'll get any money then as paid in arrears:rolleyes:

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Yep affected my wife also B*******s that's how we feel
Check out who was or more importantly was not present when passed and who it affected then
We have let them get away with all this shite

SuperMike

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I’m 72yrs. Retired at 62yrs. Now get two company pension. Got my state pension since 65. Got my bus pass. Got a disabled badge. Am I an OAP ? I think so. :crying:

What gets my goat is watching No.2 son play a game of basketball. As he comes off drenched in sweat with a heat haze around him I struggle to ever remember ever being that fit. :coolest:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

Nor is my wife, same position as yourself, £30 - £40k I'm guessing

Me too - as are lots of other girls on here. We’ve worked it out that we’ve all been robbed of £42k and I’m not happy about it either - but don’t shout too loud or we’ll be bombarded by the ‘You wanted Equality’ brigade .... :rolleyes:

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Even though I retired 2 years ago and receiving a pension, I won’t consider myself to be an OAP until I’m in receipt of my state pension...... aged 67 :D

That’s only 10 more years of being a ‘Young Aged Pensioner’ :LOL:

Korgrocker

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
The thing that really upsets me is that I paid taxes and NIC for all the 40-odd years I worked but instead of successive governments putting away money in my pensions pot, that spent it! And they have the nerve to moralise over Philip Green. And now my children and grandchildren are burdened with having to pay for my pension. I don't wonder they're upset! That's today's rant over :)

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Equality is fine, but my husband has received his state pension at age 65.

I think the way it was carried out so quickly with no opportunity to make alternative pension arrangements was outrageous. I expect they thought that a bunch of old women wouldn't notice or if they did they wouldn't raise objections. It should have been a much more gradual tapering - it has hit a number of women very hard and resulted in financial difficulties and even suicide.

All power to WASPI !!!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Me too - as are lots of other girls on here. We’ve worked it out that we’ve all been robbed of £42k and I’m not happy about it either - but don’t shout too loud or we’ll be bombarded by the ‘You wanted Equality’ brigade .... :rolleyes:
( yes I burnt my then skimpy bra in the 70s for equality Grrr! Now I’m wearing massive -over -shoulder -boulder -holders and no pension ! Oh the Exuberance of youth!
I honestly think we never really thought that 60 would come that quick and we would ever be that old!!

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The thing that really upsets me is that I paid taxes and NIC for all the 40-odd years I worked but instead of successive governments putting away money in my pensions pot, that spent it! And they have the nerve to moralise over Philip Green. And now my children and grandchildren are burdened with having to pay for my pension. I don't wonder they're upset! That's today's rant over :)

Doesn't each generation pay for the previous generation's pension? There's not an individual 'pension pot' as such.

Korgrocker

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore 285 - 2018
Exp
Since 2013
Doesn't each generation pay for the previous generation's pension? There's not an individual 'pension pot' as such.
They do but that's not the way it should be imo. I put money away for my company pension - the colleagues I left behind would get quite upset if they had to pay for it. Why should it be any different for the politicians?

OP
OP

Deleted User
If you r birtday is in next few weeks then I thought you would have your pension paid as from september this year?
They were increasing it in 4 month periods.i,e mine was in january & pension starts from may 6th. after may 6th birthdays in next 4 months shoukld be paid in september . Then september to year end paid as from January 2020,
It is classed as from when pension date starts. Not that you'll get any money then as paid in arrears:rolleyes:
Afraid not anymore. You can check your pension age on this site
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I think the way it was carried out so quickly with no opportunity to make alternative pension arrangements was outrageous.

The government recognised the problem back in the 80's, they reckoned 2005 would be the crunch year. I was a (somewhat junior) bank manager at the time and we all were sent on courses to improve our knowledge to try and encourage private pensions. Yes of course, it was a good earner for the bank too!

Unfortunately it seems to have been a bit of a political hot potato and successive governments did very little except pay lip service and of course we, the public, were as usual not all that interested in putting away for the future.

But we were warned.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My wife just scaped in getting her pension at 60 as her birthday is the end of March a few days later and she would have had to wait a year, that was 9 years ago. Her sister 4 years younger was not so lucky. At 58 she was looking forward to retiring in 2 years. Bang they bumped it up to 64 and when she got to 60 they put it up to 66½.
Seems so unfair the way they just banged the age up rather than gradually phasing it in like they did with bus passes.
Was it Belgium were they brought men & women's pensions in line as well. But there the bought the men's retirement age down.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
Retired from full time work at age 55 and then went back part time until 63. Now 65 but don't get state pension until September. Never considered myself as an oap but I might in September.

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
The government recognised the problem back in the 80's, they reckoned 2005 would be the crunch year. I was a (somewhat junior) bank manager at the time and we all were sent on courses to improve our knowledge to try and encourage private pensions. Yes of course, it was a good earner for the bank too!

Unfortunately it seems to have been a bit of a political hot potato and successive governments did very little except pay lip service and of course we, the public, were as usual not all that interested in putting away for the future.

But we were warned.

We weren't given enough warning - perhaps in your position as a bank manager you were more aware than most as it was in the bank's financial interest to keep abreast of such things.

It's a relatively small number of women that it affects - those unfortunate enough to fall into that category have been hit really hard.

Southdowners

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
They do but that's not the way it should be imo. I put money away for my company pension - the colleagues I left behind would get quite upset if they had to pay for it. Why should it be any different for the politicians?

I don't understand... what is different for the politicians?

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
I think I’m right in saying that 65 was originally chosen as the retirement age as that was the average life expectancy for a man? Anything more than that was borrowed time so the government never intended the payments to go on for as long as they do now.

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I’m not happy about it either - but don’t shout too loud or we’ll be bombarded by the ‘You wanted Equality’ brigade .... :rolleyes:
Shout it as loud as you want.
It should have been equalised by reducing the men's age not increasing the women's. All that shows is how profligate & uninterested the scum politicians had been over the last 50+ years . :mad:If like the Norwegians they had ring fenced the oil money for pensions & healthcare only with successive governments unable to p*ss it all away the Uk would be up there with the Norwegians in having nothing to concern itself anytime the roof falls in on the financial markets.

Afraid not anymore. You can check your pension age on this site
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-age
I just have & they must have altered it yet again. It is all wrong how they can keep fiddling with it having told people one thing & even in writing sometimes ,& yet they then tinker again.

they reckoned 2005 would be the crunch year.
If so then why did they reduce men's contribution years from 44 required to 30 & women's from 39 down to 30 in that year?
When my daughter pointed it out to me at the time I said then that they must be mad. They couldn't balance the books with what they were already getting so to reduce it made no sense whatsoever. A point confirmed when they had to then raise it to 35 years required for all whilst introducing the increased one size state pension from 2016.

Was it Belgium were they brought men & women's pensions in line as well. But there the bought the men's retirement age down.
Not sure but that is how it should have been done & could have if all politicians weren't in power only for there own good.

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
It should have been equalised by reducing the men's age not increasing the women's. All that shows is how profligate & uninterested the scum politicians had been over the last 50+ years . :mad:........

That sums them up perfectly. Even if they’d equalised by meeting in the middle, reducing the men’s part way and increasing the women’s, but no ! (n)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Pension age will be going up again I warrant, they want you to die before collecting anything, huge saving if everybody (except the special ones) drop dead on the last day at work at age 75. Think how the private pension annuities work , they hav a big bucket of cash, give you a bit at a time, then you die and they keep the rest of it. They moan like hell if you out live the cash sum but not many can do the. My pension pot was going to be paid to me at £1000 per year for a period od 60 years.. I did not accept that one but only managed to increase it to £3000 per year, so I must last at least 20 years to break even, managed 5 so far.

Stagecoach

LIFE MEMBER
Likes collected
Funster No
Exp
Because of the changes,
Me : 75 wks @ £168.5 = £12,637.
SWMBO : 338 wks @ £168.5 = £56,953
Total stolen from us = £69,590.
We might not be OAP’s yet, but if we’re lucky we might be able to draw some state pension however they are considering raising it again before 2030 to 72 years of age.

PeteH

Free Member
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Firstly, the pension age "adjustment" came about as the result of a case taken by a lady who wanted to retire Later, but her employers statuary retirement was 60 (for ladies). She won her case, on grounds "equality":rolleyes:, but opened to floodgates for the government who where already scratching their heads on how to stuff it to the ageing population, especially the women, who statistically live longer than men!. (inmates of any Retirement home 80%+ Female). I am now into my 21st year of retirement, 11th year of state pension, so am one of the "fortunate" who made it before the deadlines.

Raging "ageism" is endemic in UK society, Higher Insurance rates, Compulsory driving licence renewals removal of entitlement (C1/C1E) Higher rates for Travel Insurance. A whole plethora of negative stuff which if applied to "minority" would be illegal.

Welcome to the "Golden Years":D2

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back