Allegro 83; Is there wood in my roof? (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
I know some makes and models have wood-free contruction but haven't a clue whether mine does. I wonder if anyone knows the answer?
I have had some issues with roof leaks, mainly around the Heiki skylight. It's been on and off for a while and after a lot of effort (and cost) I'm hoping it's been fixed. I can't tell at the moment as it's got it's winter cover on but it's nice and dry inside right now.
However, I'm concerned that the leaks might have left a lasting issue if the roof structure includes wood.
Anyone know? Or if not who i could ask?

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi, I don’t know if this helps but, I have an Allegro 97 my roof doesn’t have wood in it. I did have a very small intermittent leak and really struggled to track it down. It was in the joint sealer between the front and rear roof panels. A hairline split in the sealer. I could only find it by working along the sealer and trying to pull it apart. Found it, resealed it and so far stayed dry.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi, I don’t know if this helps but, I have an Allegro 97 my roof doesn’t have wood in it. I did have a very small intermittent leak and really struggled to track it down. It was in the joint sealer between the front and rear roof panels. A hairline split in the sealer. I could only find it by working along the sealer and trying to pull it apart. Found it, resealed it and so far stayed dry.
Yes people often don't realise they even 'have' a large joint on the roof but it is one thing that can cause issues when the sealant 'shrinks' over time and lets water in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yes people often don't realise they even 'have' a large joint on the roof but it is one thing that can cause issues when the sealant 'shrinks' over time and lets water in.
Aye that were the bugger. It hadn’t shrunk, which is why it took me a while to find it.
My plan when the weather improves is to clean out and replace the lot.

OP
OP
Bucket
Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
Mine has that joint just above the driving cab; I have had it properly resealed even though the leak appeared to be from further back around the rooflight. The roof isn't the easiest to survey as there's various additions such as the TV arial, solar etc. There's also a strange oblong patch that suggests something like a flat solar panel was once fitted and later removed? I have found and filled a few small areas where there's small crazing. the main latest works were to refit and reseal the Heiki and replace the main rubber sealant as at one point the leak only came in when driving into heavy rain. That's not been tested in anger yet of course.
As said, I mainly want to know if I should start tearing down the inside of my ceiling to repair or replace potentially rotten timber; so Glenn2926's onservation is welcome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Aye that were the bugger. It hadn’t shrunk, which is why it took me a while to find it.
My plan when the weather improves is to clean out and replace the lot.
We had a Rapido with the joint and when I was up there (I think I was changing the smoked skylights for clear) I had a shuftie and noticed a 'cut' in it and some shrinking so sorted it promptly before it could become an issue, it was about 2 years old at that point.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back