Adria Matrix 2018 Habitation Door Lock Problem - help please (1 Viewer)

Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
We have a problem with the Hab door locking/unlocking.
The door can be locked and unlocked( sometimes with great difficulty ) using the habitation key but wont lock or unlock using electronic means.
If I use the integrated sigma alarm fob it activates the alarm and locks/unlocks the cab doors but does not move the inside handle on the hab door to the lock or unlock position although it make the right 'loud clunk' noises of the electrical actuator mechanism inside the door operating.
If I open the door and activate the locking latches at top and bottom of the door (to simulate the door having been closed), then use the Fiat key fob to lock and unlock the motorhome doors the hab inside door locking handle sometimes 'twitches' as if trying to unlock but does not move enough to actually unlock it.
If the door inside locking handle is placed in the unlocked position and the Fiat key fob used to lock it the locking handle does not move but as above the loud clunk of the lock actuator can be heard.

The MH went in for its habitation check at Geoff Cox yesterday and after mentioning the door problem they tried lubricating the door lock, checked electrical connection/crimps to the door and tried adjusting the door position and were of the opinion that the actuating unit is maybe ok as they usually stop working completely when they fail.
They could not diagnose the problem further and suggested it could be a problem with the alarm system ?.

I am unable to find an Adria dealer who can accept a booking to look at it until later this year or 2022 at the earliest as they are all so busy.

It was explained to be that the door can be dismantled but its a sod of a job and held together with double-sided tape !

When I first noticed the issue it explains why we were setting the alarm off occasionally and thought we had not locked up properly when the hab door was found to be unlocked with the alarm activated.
Initially the locking handle gave a good twitch but failed to move far enough but now it does not move at all, just the loud clunk as if its operating the mechanism.
Because I have problems locking and unlocking with the hab key I think there is a mechanical problem with the mechanism, maybe the operating rods or actuating lever somewhere inside the door.

I would like to take a look at the mechanism but cannot find a way to get the door apart ....there are no visible screws holding the back panels of the door to the front of it, I can only see the 2 screws that hold the main closing handle to the door ?

Does anyone have an idea how to get the door inner skin apart or have an idea what could be wrong ?
Also who is the manufacturer of this door to maybe obtain a diagram of its construction ?

Any help appreciated

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
The hab door on my Matrix locks with the key. I've got the strikeback alarm system but that does not lock the hab door.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Mine is the same as Parrot Face, albeit a different alarm system. The alarm fob doesn't lock the hab door. Until reading this thread I did think mine was faulty, but I could live with it. Perhaps it's because it's so difficult to access the door lock that the after market alarms aren't connected to the hab door lock mechanism??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 8, 2018
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670 SL
Exp
The key fob on our Matrix locks all the doors and sets the Phantom alarm.

Not taken the door apart so unfortunately can’t help the OP.

Apr 27, 2018
Funster No
The door can be locked and unlocked( sometimes with great difficulty ) using the habitation key but wont lock or unlock using electronic means.
If I use the integrated sigma alarm fob it activates the alarm and locks/unlocks the cab doors but does not move the inside handle on the hab door to the lock or unlock position although it make the right 'loud clunk' noises of the electrical actuator mechanism inside the door operating.
If I open the door and activate the locking latches at top and bottom of the door (to simulate the door having been closed), then use the Fiat key fob to lock and unlock the motorhome doors the hab inside door locking handle sometimes 'twitches' as if trying to unlock but does not move enough to actually unlock it.
If the door inside locking handle is placed in the unlocked position and the Fiat key fob used to lock it the locking handle does not move but as above the loud clunk of the lock actuator can be heard.

The MH went in for its habitation check at Geoff Cox yesterday and after mentioning the door problem they tried lubricating the door lock, checked electrical connection/crimps to the door and tried adjusting the door position and were of the opinion that the actuating unit is maybe ok as they usually stop working completely when they fail.
They could not diagnose the problem further and suggested it could be a problem with the alarm system ?.

I am unable to find an Adria dealer who can accept a booking to look at it until later this year or 2022 at the earliest as they are all so busy.

It was explained to be that the door can be dismantled but its a sod of a job and held together with double-sided tape !

When I first noticed the issue it explains why we were setting the alarm off occasionally and thought we had not locked up properly when the hab door was found to be unlocked with the alarm activated.
Initially the locking handle gave a good twitch but failed to move far enough but now it does not move at all, just the loud clunk as if its operating the mechanism.
Because I have problems locking and unlocking with the hab key I think there is a mechanical problem with the mechanism, maybe the operating rods or actuating lever somewhere inside the door.

I would like to take a look at the mechanism but cannot find a way to get the door apart ....there are no visible screws holding the back panels of the door to the front of it, I can only see the 2 screws that hold the main closing handle to the door ?

Does anyone have an idea how to get the door inner skin apart or have an idea what could be wrong ?
Also who is the manufacturer of this door to maybe obtain a diagram of its construction ?

Any help appreciated
I had the same or a similar problem on my Mateix 670SC. If you tease back the flexible conduit carrying the wires between the door mechanism and the chassis you will find bodge wire connection joints. In my case one wire had broken away. The wires are fortunately long enough to pully through so spliced and soldered the broken joint. It's been fine ever since. Be aware that there is one wire which isn't connected.

Cliff

Attachments

• 20210415_143440.jpg
    20210415_143440.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 20210415_153425.jpg
    20210415_153425.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 117
OP
OP
Adriaadventure
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Took the MH into Camper UK who took the door apart and found that the operating bar(s) had come off the door lock/handle mechanism. They apparently just had the clip it back on.
A couple of hours labour for this repair.

Jul 22, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral SC

Any help appreciated
You may have resolved it by now but in case you haven't I am adding some comments. The habitation door on my 2019 Adria Coral SC won't lock with the electronic or manual key. It clonks as if secure but if I check the habitation door, it hasn't locked. After inspection I discovered that the lower locking hook on the actual door has retreated too far back into the door so it won't engage on the hook on the door frame. I can overcome this by teasing it back out by hand just a few mm before I close the door each time. This way it engages with the hook on the door frame and when I use the electronic key everything clonks and really locks. It's a faff and I need to do this manual operation each time I lock up, but hopefully it will get me through the summer until I find someone who can repair it permanently. I have given up on Marquis Durham......

OP
OP
Adriaadventure
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
Mine is awaiting parts ( new handle mechanism ) as the repair by Camper UK did not last long and had to go in for another attempt. It appears the locking mechanism is 'worn'.
I believe the problem all along was due the door being adjusted incorrectly so it needed to be slammed quite hard to close it properly. This also made it much harder for the electrically operated mechanism to open it, hence straining the drive mechanism.
As I understand it the top locking catch has to close completely ( operating a microswitch inside the latch ) before you can electrically lock the door with the fob or set the alarm ( if you have a sigma/cobra type alarm ).
The door should lock with the fob irrespective of whether the bottom catch is fully closed or not as there is no signal from it to indicate its opened or closed.
You can test this with the door open and manually turning each latch to the locked position and use the fob to try and lock/unlock it.
Have you tried to adjust the 'U' shaped latching bar in the door frame ( the part that engages with the latch on the door ) moving it in or out ?
You need a cranked 10mm spanner to get at the adjusting nuts on the hook parts. a real fiddly task as they are difficult to jet at with a spanner.

paulus123

Free Member
May 7, 2023
Funster No
MH
adria matrix
Mine is awaiting parts ( new handle mechanism ) as the repair by Camper UK did not last long and had to go in for another attempt. It appears the locking mechanism is 'worn'.
I believe the problem all along was due the door being adjusted incorrectly so it needed to be slammed quite hard to close it properly. This also made it much harder for the electrically operated mechanism to open it, hence straining the drive mechanism.
As I understand it the top locking catch has to close completely ( operating a microswitch inside the latch ) before you can electrically lock the door with the fob or set the alarm ( if you have a sigma/cobra type alarm ).
The door should lock with the fob irrespective of whether the bottom catch is fully closed or not as there is no signal from it to indicate its opened or closed.
You can test this with the door open and manually turning each latch to the locked position and use the fob to try and lock/unlock it.
Have you tried to adjust the 'U' shaped latching bar in the door frame ( the part that engages with the latch on the door ) moving it in or out ?
You need a cranked 10mm spanner to get at the adjusting nuts on the hook parts. a real fiddly task as they are difficult to jet at with a spanner.
Did you solve this issue in the meantime with the spare part? If so, do you have a spare part number for me or could you tell me how to disassemble the door? I have exact the same issue as yours in my 2019 Matrix…

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
In case anyone should think this fault is common, to date my habitation door has always locked using either the Sigma key or the Renault Master key, I imagine it is the same unit as the Duccato lock as it is fitted by Adria.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Did you solve this issue in the meantime with the spare part? If so, do you have a spare part number for me or could you tell me how to disassemble the door? I have exact the same issue as yours in my 2019 Matrix…
Check the orientation of the key slot in the hab door, if you've had a key in it and removed it in the horizontal position you can't lock it with the keys or button etc.

OP
OP
Adriaadventure
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix
Exp
13 years
It’s a Hartal door and Hartal will not sell to public,only their dealers. Even camper uk had to order the lock mechanism from an Adria dealer to ensure they got the correct lock. It’s a complete lock unit and costs £500 ! Plus fitting labour but worked great after being changed.
I have not taken the door inner skin off so cannot help with that, sorry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back