Adding An Extra TV (1 Viewer)

Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
We have an Oyster satellite dish and an Avtex Tv and would like to buy an extra Avtex tv to put in the bedroom. Is there a splitter I can buy to be able to run both tvs although we will be only watching one tv at a time ?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Probably
Which signal path/cable type are you spiltting?

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I have two tv’s operating off my Oyster Caro which is a single LNB.
What I have done is used the AV on both TVs (with the yellow, red,white 3x jack cables) and have a Coax aerial splitter plugged into the Oyster box. This allows us to have both TVs on (one in bedroom and other in lounge) albeit, watching the same channel, or one watching TV whilst other watching a dvd.
If you have a satellite with a twin LNB, you could watch different tv channels on each tv.
I am (when I get round to it) look to change the AV leads to HDMI as I want to have less cables on show.
Your best bet is to have a look at your Oyster box and see what connections it has (AV/Scart/HDMI) and then plan from there.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Probably
Which signal path/cable type are you spiltting?
I was thinking of splitting the lead that screws onto the back of the tv from the box on the wall, it’s a thin beige coloured cable

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
image.jpg
This is what I have in the cupboard

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
OK, I'm not 100% sure what the two boxes do as the image doesn't zoom in with enough quality but others here might see enough to know better.

But it looks like the larger silver box is the main satellite receiver. With: -
1. the white F-type cable coming from the dish.
2. the mini coax going to the "receiver" but ending up at a little black box.

The little black box appears to have 1 input & 2 outputs.
Could that be where you can add a second mini coax?

Is it a signal amplifier or just a 1 to 2 splitter? Odd place to amplify so expect the latter.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I could be totally wrong (as usual!!!) but I think the white box is the "control box" for the sat dish with the black box being a "splitter".
White cable into white box being the feed from the sat dish, wire out to the black box being the feed to the splitter and the other wire being the feed to your existing TV. The spare "F" socket on the black box being an outlet for for a second TV.
If the wire out of the black box does go to your TV can this be moved to the "spare" socket and see if you get a picture on existing TV?

ps just as kevenh says!:doh:

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
I must admit now I’m looking at the little black box it has A and B on it which makes me think it’s a splitter. I will change the cable over to see if it works. Fingers crossed it’s that easy

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I must admit now I’m looking at the little black box it has A and B on it which makes me think it’s a splitter. I will change the cable over to see if it works. Fingers crossed it’s that easy
C'mon put us out our misery! How long does it take to change a cable over!:rolleyes:;):giggle:

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Woohoo ! it is a change over switch ( splitter ) so I can just take another satellite coax from it to the other tv :hi5:

OP
OP
Rockcrawler
Apr 17, 2017
Ferring
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840
Exp
Since 2017
Now I’ve just got to buy another Avtex ;)( just hope my wife doesn’t spot it ) :whistle2:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back