Adding an exra hub motor to an electric tricycle (1 Viewer)

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Can anyone suggest alternatives?? I am hoping to convert this 3 wheeled scooter from a single powered 250w front hub to two 250w hubs to give extra torque when required up steep slopes. I understand to do this I will need 2 motor controllers attached to one throttle etc. So the only way to do this is to power the back wheels, but can I get away with 2 x 250w standard hub motors or will I need differential motors :( obviously complicating everything & putting on weight. I like the idea of having a motor for a back up & only switched on when required. Or should I just put a 350w motor on the front ???? Any opinions ?? I am going to make my own battery for this using the lego kit

20201022_174900.jpg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Check out the legal position first to ensure once you've done it you can actually use it.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Although the rear wheels are only a small distance apart, as you go round corners they will rotate at fractionally different rates. Somehow your motors would need to be able to recognise those differential rates.

As stated by Minxy what you are trying to do would probably always make the scooter illegal for use on UK roads, unless you can somehow get it registered as a motorised vehicle, a whole new ball game. Even e-bikes are limited to a single 250W motor, and restricted to electric assistance up to 15mph. If electric scooters are legalised I'd expect the 250W motor to be a hard limit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back