90 day rule (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Here
Yes. But this is just an unofficial website full of adverts and questionable accuracy. I've linked above to the official EU Europa website and the actual Schengen regulations. Surprisingly EU Regulations are still translated into straightforward everyday English (I guess for the Irish Republic). No requirement for a return ticket, or from what I can see travel insurance / GHIC either.

BigPaul

Free Member
Jan 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
hymer
We are planning our first post Brexit/pandemic trip to Europe via the tunnel. We wanted to keep our return open but within the 90 days. However I hear that we need evidence of our intended return to the UK (a ticket) before we can get started into France. I cannot find this written down so thoughts and experiences of enforcement would be welcome..
Wrong

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
We are planning our first post Brexit/pandemic trip to Europe via the tunnel. We wanted to keep our return open but within the 90 days. However I hear that we need evidence of our intended return to the UK (a ticket) before we can get started into France. I cannot find this written down so thoughts and experiences of enforcement would be welcome..
It is part of the requirement for third country nationals, but I have never been asked for it. Having said that, we now buy a flexible return ticket so that is is easy to change.

Reactions: DBK
Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
You may never be asked for one…unless you need to claim on your insurance!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We have never bought a return ticket till we have decided when we are travelling. I have always found booking a tunnel crossing in France cheaper than booking the return trip in the UK.
A flexible ticket is not an option on the tunnel as they cost a fortune.
Our multitrip travel insurance doesn't even ask to be informed when we are going, never mind when we are coming back, though each trip is limited to 65days

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Here
Taken from their website
We are an independent source of information and are not affiliated with the EU or any official agency.

Dickie English

Free Member
Mar 10, 2023
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Newbie….purchased Feb 2023
We have never bought a return ticket till we have decided when we are travelling. I have always found booking a tunnel crossing in France cheaper than booking the return trip in the UK.
A flexible ticket is not an option on the tunnel as they cost a fortune.
Our multitrip travel insurance doesn't even ask to be informed when we are going, never mind when we are coming back, though each trip is limited to 65days
Morning Reallyretired,
Interested in your multitrip insurance....got a 60 day trip to France & Italy coming up & am 70 whilst I'm away, so the old RBS bank insurance is no longer valid....who do you use, if you don't mind sharing?
thanks

Peppadog

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 11, 2018
Nr Bath
Funster No
MH
Sunlight C600 pvc
Exp
Since the late 70's
We lost our HSBC premium cover when we got to 70. We are with Staysure now. Untested so far, and hope it stays that way.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Well, the "proof is in the pudding" as they say. Crossed over the channel onto the continent this morning. As usual, no interest at all in a return ticket, or means of support, or health insurance. A valid passport is all the French authorities are interested in to get you into Schengen. 👍🇲🇫☀️
PXL_20230810_091635877.jpg

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Morning Reallyretired,
Interested in your multitrip insurance....got a 60 day trip to France & Italy coming up & am 70 whilst I'm away, so the old RBS bank insurance is no longer valid....who do you use, if you don't mind sharing?
thanks
Until you get an answer from Reallyretired it may well be the Nationwide FlexiPlus Account which we have. £13 per month for the account plus anything for medical cover. It also includes cruise cover which costs much more with many companies. In our case we paid £215 with National Travel, their Insurance arm, for a couple of minor medical conditions including £40 for an optional extra on the cruise we were about to take. Even with the £168 pa for the account it was hundreds of pounds cheaper than quotes from Staysure, Avanti, Good2Go and many others.

Edit: I see you have the answer while I was looking up my records.

Dickie English

Free Member
Mar 10, 2023
Northampton, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B578
Exp
Newbie….purchased Feb 2023
Until you get an answer from Reallyretired it may well be the Nationwide FlexiPlus Account which we have. £13 per month for the account plus anything for medical cover. It also includes cruise cover which costs much more with many companies. In our case we paid £215 with National Travel, their Insurance arm, for a couple of minor medical conditions including £40 for an optional extra on the cruise we were about to take. Even with the £168 pa for the account it was hundreds of pounds cheaper than quotes from Staysure, Avanti, Good2Go and many others.
Many thanks for your help, I will investigate further!!

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Surprisingly EU Regulations are still translated into straightforward everyday English

They say that all 24 official languages of the EU are accepted as working languages. (they're not really) In reality and a big annoyance to the French it's English that is the most common, followed by French, and German. (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Get someone to make a fake one or make a booking with easyJet or similar and cancel within 24 hours for free
I'd love to see how you'd get the MH on the plane! 😄

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
May 15, 2022
Bavaria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P969D
Exp
Since 2012
My mum and dad took their car to the continent in one of these in the early 1960s for their honeymoon!

Cool, really interesting, thanks for that 👍

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
My mum and dad took their car to the continent in one of these in the early 1960s for their honeymoon!

Thanks for that link. As a result I could not resist posting this comment on their website -:

"I flew as a First Officer on those aircraft 1967-69 from both Southampton till the base closed in 1967 and then Lydd. By then Silver City and Channel Air Bridge had been absorbed into British United Airways as BU Air Ferries. I was trained on a BUA sponsored course at Airwork Services Training at Scone in Scotland, also owned by the BUA Group. Through a quirk in the contract my Commercial Pilot’s Licence cost me £50 – don’t tell the young lads who are spending £100k plus today.

At Lydd I flew many times with Captain George Livingstone who had been the First Officer on the first car ferry flight from Lympne mentioned in that article.

The original Bristol 170 carrying two cars was the Mk31. By the time I joined in 1967 we only had the Bristol 170 Mk32 (with stretched nose) carrying 3 cars – or 6 horses, ? sheep or about 25 pigs. Pigs are nervous flyers and sweat a lot which made the climb up the ladder to the cockpit very slimy. Flying livestock we were paid an extra 19p an hour, not a lot on a 20 min. flight. I was paid £1,390 p.a. Fortunately I ended my flying career in 1990 as a Boeing 737 Captain on £40,000, so all’s well that ends well."

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
👍 ….and because French, German and Italian are the three languages spoken in Switzerland, depending on the region

Don't forget the Swiss 4th language Romanche, based on Latin. I think that it is only mandatory to use it in certain Cantons.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back