1996 Hymer B class - a bit of help please . (1 Viewer)

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
Morning. As yet another motorhome newbie, I have one or two issues re the good old learning curve. Firstly, leisure batteries. Is it possible that they can lose all ability to charge in one night. I went to bed on Thursday night and had power, woke up Friday morning and nothing. Drove for ten hours, no charge from either battery or anything showing from the solar panel. Battery warning light flashes, nothing showing in the dial of the solar power system. Have lost water pump, lights, electric step etc.... Everything appears to be off, ue fridge, so suggestions as to what is going on would be appreciated. The motorhome has been sitting with the previous owner for the last two or three years.

Secondly and it might be linked. The control panel attached. I know what one or two switches do, but not all. Could someone shed some light on this please. Thank you all. ❤️

Attachments

• DSC_1600.JPG
    DSC_1600.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 131
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Usually a battery fails by gradually losing storage capacity until you can't stand it any more. But sometimes it fails with a shorted cell. In that case the voltage suddenly drops to 5/6 of its normal value, since there are six cells in a 12V battery. So for example it drops from 12.6 to 10.5V. If you charge the battery for a long time until it should be fully charged, but the voltage drops to 10.5 as soon as the charger is disconnected, then that's what's happened.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hymerbrittany

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
Usually a battery fails by gradually losing storage capacity until you can't stand it any more. But sometimes it fails with a shorted cell. In that case the voltage suddenly drops to 5/6 of its normal value, since there are six cells in a 12V battery. So for example it drops from 12.6 to 10.5V.
Having the two leisure batteries hydrometer tested.... That will confirm cell damage if any... Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Just as an aside comment in case it helps someone else later: my storage place had to jump start the engine once. That blew the fuse next to the leisure battery.
That confused me for a bit, because the symptoms seemed to be: not working on 12V, working on engine, working on hookup.
I only solved it when I realised that the real symptom was: there is no 12V.
BTW I strongly second the suggestions to get a multimeter. I would add that one with a "beep" sound for continuity testing is a useful convenience. And if you can get a couple of those dinky crocodile clips, they may be a push-fit on the probes, also a convenience sometimes.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hymerbrittany

Hymerbrittany

Free Member
Aug 23, 2020
France
Funster No
MH
A class b694
Exp
Update update update....

After all the brilliant advice given, which isn't wasted believe me, it eventually came down to battery conections... The negative leisure battery connection was obviously removed whilst standing for the time it was, then just slotted back on the stub with no tightening. Quick and easy fix with a ten mill....batteries seem to be working now but I'll have to wait and see what happens when I leave the system overnight...

The Reserve button is connected and seems to be linked to the usage. In the Aus (off) positon, the battery alarm light comes on and battery 2 drops into the red zone, battery 1 shows 13 and upwards. When Reserve is selected it goes out and both batteries rest at 13 plus... The plot thickens...

Thank you one and all for the guidance and support. Be back soon with questions on Yruma heating system and hot water and how to use.... ❤️

Attachments

• DSC_1605.JPG
    DSC_1605.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC_1606.JPG
    DSC_1606.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!