Help please (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
My car Owners Handbook is generic to the range with many items endorsed 'When fitted'. Trouble is, that with all the intelligent/autonomous software (evidently sniggering at having a higher IQ than mine) and multi-function switches and the interactive LCD display there are some items I still can't find or the switch to determine whether or not I have the bloomin' item to which the manual refers. It took me nearly an hour (o.k. I was distracted) to find out how to disable the alarm motion sensors when I needed to lock the car with the dog inside. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Despite not having a manual most things electrical in and on my Pilote seemed to have worked very well without having to consult a manual.

I did change all bulbs to LED soon after I bought it and I've had to replace one bulb in six years but nothing else has gone wrong.

If it ain't broke ............

:france::france::france::france:
But when it does break ........ :D. It isn't that much has broken just that I can't install additions without spending time first tracing the circuit I need, then re-doing all the sh*t workmanship I find as I do it. A one hour job invariably turns into two days. I can't unsee poor workmanship so I have to sort it.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
But when it does break ........ :D. It isn't that much has broken just that I can't install additions without spending time first tracing the circuit I need, then re-doing all the sh*t workmanship I find as I do it. A one hour job invariably turns into two days. I can't unsee poor workmanship so I have to sort it.
I had to take my m/h to a main dealer because it kept showing 'Low battery', the 12v lights were dim and flickering occasionally and the pump was lazy even though the leisure battery was fully charged at 13.2v. I received a bill for 3 hours labour. The engineer said that he just couldn't find the fault due to wiring being pre-installed in inaccessible places and the colours disagreeing with his wiring diagram and changing colour along what appeared to be the run (where he could see it). In the end he sorted it by just running a new wire from the leisure battery to the hab control panel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Despite not having a manual most things electrical in and on my Pilote seemed to have worked very well without having to consult a manual.

I did change all bulbs to LED soon after I bought it and I've had to replace one bulb in six years but nothing else has gone wrong.

If it ain't broke ............

I was just emphasising the quality of my Pilote rather than doing a general consensus of all other Motorhomes.

I had a guy fit an electrical extra a few years ago and it took him five minutes, no comment good or bad on the wiring, and cost me a beer.

It's not what you know - it's often who you know ......

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I was just emphasising the quality of my Pilote rather than doing a general consensus of all other Motorhomes.

I had a guy fit an electrical extra a few years ago and it took him five minutes, no comment good or bad on the wiring, and cost me a beer.

It's not what you know - it's often who you know ......

Your Pilote is the poor mans version of my Le Voyageur. Allegedly :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry Geoff, but this really doesn't happen for MHs, there are so many spec variations, changes each year, altered to suit the original buyer, changes by buyers over the years, that there's no way on earth a manual could be kept up to date. The vast majority of pieces of equipment installed in MHs do come with their own manuals (cooker, toilet, fridge etc) and the basic manual should have details of the electric charger etc installed, but other than that its pretty much pot-luck.

We have a manual of sorts for our camper but it hasn't been 'updated' since before they started putting in different fridges to the one we have.

If someone buys a second hand MH do you really believe that they won't go ahead with buying it if it doesn't have a manual? o_O

Well it happened for our N&B Arto 69GL (2003) and a very well written one it is.

Geoff

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well it happened for our N&B Arto 69GL (2003) and a very well written one it is.

Geoff
... with the price they cost when new I'd expect it to have a butler provided so you didn't need the manual in the first place. :)

Obviously cost cutting by N&B to just provide a manual instead of a 'Manuel'.:D2

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I got one with my 27 year old Auto Sleeper ! :drinks:

So there! :tounge: :* :dance2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I must say that the manuals supplied with motorhomes tend to be little more than a vague 'quick start guide'. Most of the equipment installed is from generic manufacturers such as Thetford, Dometic etc. If you look up the model on their sites their manuals tend to be much more informative. Most motorhomes come supplied with these manufacturers' booklets anyway.

Wyn

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back