It’s the morning of the SORNing (1 Viewer)

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Profoundly depressed by the coming end of the lockdown and the placement of tiers after.
I had , perhaps too hopefully and naively , thought I might do some motorhoming after December the 2nd but this is not now to be.
So it’s time to SORN for at least December and January.
Mine has to have its MOT in February so I will have to tax it then unless I do an MOT run then straight back off road.

Half the fun of having a motorhome is the ability to camp comfortably in the winter for me as well as when it’s warm

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I SORNed mine on 29th October and saved £20ish during November, as I could see that I wouldn't use it on the only day it was allowed: 1st Nov!

However, I SHALL be taxing it from Monday as all the family are taking their vans to the coast to celebrate our youngest daughter's birthday next weekend. We shall also use it to deliver Xmas presents round the extended family without having to go into their houses. The joys of not being in Tier 3!

Your time will come - Gordon

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I SORNed for November but will be taxing in December. We have bookings for a few days around Glastonbury followed by Ludlow, both of which are still opening on the 2nd, so we will travel. Think we need it for our sanity. Lots of walking and may even fit in a substantial meal somewhere.

Meal.jpg

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Profoundly depressed by the coming end of the lockdown and the placement of tiers after.
I had , perhaps too hopefully and naively , thought I might do some motorhoming after December the 2nd but this is not now to be.
So it’s time to SORN for at least December and January.
Mine has to have its MOT in February so I will have to tax it then unless I do an MOT run then straight back off road.

Half the fun of having a motorhome is the ability to camp comfortably in the winter for me as well as when it’s warm
I know the feeling - I sorned mine end of October :(

My MOT is due in January but I will probably leave it until February or even March. I can drive to the test station and home again legally without tax or MOT.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Having had our van serviced & 1st MOT done, I returned home and sorned the van in late October, I then spoke to Comfort Insurance, downgraded the cover to the min 1500 miles a year, removed the EU/UK breakdown cover also. I made this decision having had so many fixtures cancelled over Xmas, and New Year, plus the impending continued lockdowns at various levels across the UK and on the continent.
Even the girl at Comfort, suggested it would probably be best to reappraise my insurance cover from April next year, a month on, I now think she made an informed suggestion there.

I know its depressing, but we wont be taking any further risks than we have to, just for the sake of getting away, especially when everything is closed down, with empty streets, closed places of interest etc.
We are lucky at present, even living in a newly upgraded tier 2 area, at least we can go out in the car should we wish to, but even that doesn't inspire us at the moment.

Be patient folks, once the R rate decreases, we can then re-appraise things, but we have xmas to get through first, no bets on what will happen then.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jake Royd
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
I'm in tier 3 so have to be careful.
CAMC (correctly but frustratingly) won't take a booking from a tier 3 resident an email informed me.
The snidy side of me wondered if I could book onto a CL without incriminating my self but I won't be doing it.
This current lockdown and the following tier 3 "lockdown light" lay heavily on me psychologically.

On the positive side my motorhome has a large solar panel so the batteries are just fine laid up. :giggle:

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
I never Sorn'd mine...last out in deployment in September .....I have driven it since and to its November MOT( I got extension one to December so decided to move the date to mid November as we rarely travel at the time usually)... And it's now ready to head out in December... hurrah

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
I SORNed mine on 29th October and saved £20ish during November, as I could see that I wouldn't use it on the only day it was allowed: 1st Nov!

However, I SHALL be taxing it from Monday as all the family are taking their vans to the coast to celebrate our youngest daughter's birthday next weekend. We shall also use it to deliver Xmas presents round the extended family without having to go into their houses. The joys of not being in Tier 3!

Your time will come - Gordon
Did not understand that first paragraph about SORN on 29th Oct then using it on 1st Nov

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
“This current lockdown and the following tier 3 "lockdown light" lay heavily on me psychologically.”

So sorry.You are doing the right thing at the moment. Keep safe.

Jan 18, 2016
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670SLS
Exp
A long time
Doing the sorn today. Just taken it out for a run to get the tyres round and warm the engine. Putting it to bed today with an 80W tube heater 😢😢😢

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Did not understand that first paragraph about SORN on 29th Oct then using it on 1st Nov
I think he's saying that the ONLY day he could legitimately have used due to restrictions during the whole of November was one day, ie 1st, so that would have been an expensive day.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours has been SORNed most of the time since we got back from Spain in February, we taxed it for August then SORNed it again, but we've decided to tax it for December despite our being in Tier 3 as it really needs to have a run out to get the rust off the brakes, give the engine a good blast etc.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Just SORNed ours a few minutes ago. Not been used in normal mode since returning from France in September 2019, other than sleeping in it for 3 weeks when we moved (initially no heating in bungalow) but still using it for showering in (no bathroom in bungalow). Only time it has been on road is when we moved (16 miles) and to have it MOT’d (1mile). I always SORN it for the winter. I know the Government can do with as much revenue as possible, but us pensioners need to save when we can. Let’s hope 2021 brings us some normality.

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
We are using ours as a mobile facilities venue for visiting such as NT places where open, etc as at our age the facilities are much needed. We hope after December 2nd to be able to meet some our family in the open air at a convenient place so we (the two off us) will have the facilities available. Thus no SORN

Poodlepower

Free Member
Mar 17, 2018
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
since 1983
My motorhome hasn't moved since Jan 2nd when I got back from the New Year Meet at Shrewsbury. I SORNED it in March and feel sad every day when I see it as it is on my drive. I have the engine and leisure batteries on permanent trickle charge. I am high risk, have a chronic neurological condition, but am usually away from Easter to October every fortnight at least so am suffering mentally. But I am still alive so that is one plus.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
At least putting the van on SORN helps to pay the tv license. What am I saying I’m not gonna pay mine until they show me which cell I will be in😂

Mar 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
My motorhome hasn't moved since Jan 2nd when I got back from the New Year Meet at Shrewsbury. I SORNED it in March and feel sad every day when I see it as it is on my drive. I have the engine and leisure batteries on permanent trickle charge. I am high risk, have a chronic neurological condition, but am usually away from Easter to October every fortnight at least so am suffering mentally. But I am still alive so that is one plus.
Many like yourself are suffering both [hysically and mentally. We in this neck of the woods at Sutton Coldfield have kept well and keep on the go when and where we can so we remember you in our thoughts for your disability.

Nov 4, 2015
Waterlooville
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I must have kept it well hidden , Ray
Hello from the tier 3 hell hole.:giggle:
Never mind John. Maybe come 16th December you will slip down a Tier. Mind you, Tier 2 isn't a barrel of laughs either to be honest; but at least we can get away for a few days in the van later in December.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
On SORN at the moment, but hoping to use over Christmas, to visit family up North and then a couple of days away for new year if lockdown rules allow.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I sorned our van at the end of November and was expecting 6 months tax refunded. Just got my latest bank statement and they have refunded only one months tax :Eeek: It's looking like they're going to refund it month by month.
Is this normal? When it was due I paid it in full. If I had paid it in instalments it would have cost extra, I don't suppose they will pay me more!:swear2:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
I sorned our van at the end of November and was expecting 6 months tax refunded. Just got my latest bank statement and they have refunded only one months tax :Eeek: It's looking like they're going to refund it month by month.
Is this normal? When it was due I paid it in full. If I had paid it in instalments it would have cost extra, I don't suppose they will pay me more!:swear2:

When paid in full they normally refund the remaining total by cheque. Don’t know how they do it if you were paying by instalments or by DD, but you say that you are not, so should have got it all back

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back