Wildax Elara - innovative layout? (1 Viewer)

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Really interesting to see details of the new model on the Mercedes Sprinter, fixed island bed at the rear, well equipped kitchen, usable bathroom, maybe just the small lounge might be an issue?
But really well equipped and on a well speccd base vehicle, all for under £70k, looking forward to seeing it at the show next week, could be ideal for all those thinking of downsizing?
Also good to see the results of the Rapido investment coming through.

Bill

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
I applaud them for trying something different ...but with a fixed rear bed, I'd be worried at the lack of load carrying space for bikes etc. And the first one seems to be a strict 2 seater, 2 berth so a narrower potential market

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I applaud them for trying something different ...but with a fixed rear bed, I'd be worried at the lack of load carrying space for bikes etc. And the first one seems to be a strict 2 seater, 2 berth so a narrower potential market
Probably aimed at the empty nesters - makes so much more sense than having a six berth with only four belted seats, or a 2+1 berth with four belted seats...
My WildAx has three belted seats & can sleep 3.

I wouldn't surprised if this model is a success, if they didn't come up with a winding mechanism to increase/vary the underbed storage capacity.

Side access to each side of the bed looks very tight, but it is there, so no toilet break clambering required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I like the look of it but you could not use the space either side of the bed because the overhead lockers would mean you could not stand up and the tv and cupboard under prevent access one side and the washroom prevents access the other.
You cannot see the TV from the “luxurious lounge” and sitting up in bed tricky as the Reims blinds form the headrests.
There is nowhere to put your cup of tea, your spectacles or phone/iPad by the bed. I also like to keep the van keys and alarm fob by my bed.
We have a narrow shelf running the full length of the rear beds and it’s perfect for all these things.
1BBE5574-0896-4752-9998-B46D77AF2AB8.png
D7C7AC64-8D8B-48C7-A1D0-7790356775D1.png

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Taking all that back now as I’ve had a closer look at the 360 view and I think that there is a narrow shelf built in each side so it’s not a walkway.
Handy charging points too.
:)
Like it.
But I still prefer to have rear u lounge, really cosy and comfy even if have to make up the beds

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
@Riverbankannie, I was just wondering what an Ian Hartley design might look like on a VW XL crafter, thinks it’s just a bit over 7m?
A fixed rear panel, raised bed, large “sealed” garage with all of Ian’s user friendly details would be great!
Would also allow slightly larger lounge, slide our per SL model anyone, door module giving room for a second tv?
Oh, I can feel myself reaching for my wallet already ........

Bill

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
@Riverbankannie, I was just wondering what an Ian Hartley design might look like on a VW XL crafter, thinks it’s just a bit over 7m?
A fixed rear panel, raised bed, large “sealed” garage with all of Ian’s user friendly details would be great!
Would also allow slightly larger lounge, slide our per SL model anyone, door module giving room for a second tv?

Bill
I’m not sure about the fixed rear panel, I’ve read about quite a few problems with it.
I was going to say that all I really need extra to the 630RL is space for a couple of folding outside chairs (the sort that fold flat rather than umbrella shaped).
Then I realised that I could probably put them under rear of bed if only we hadn’t put 2 Bromptons in there :whistle::whistle:

We’ve just come back from a short trip and glad I had fleeces to cover the leather edges of the cushions. I really don’t see the attraction of the all leather upholstery that the Wildax is showing, it’s just cold to the touch even if van is warm

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

Bill
I think he's planning on doing it this year in fact.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.

Bill
I have looked at his first model and didn’t like it . The Crafter May be longer(6.8)metres but is narrower. The extra length is in the front cabin so does not add much to the habitation side. Because of its narrow with there are double doors fitted to get into the bathroom. Hope that helps a bit.
Paul

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
“all for less than £70000”
are they ‘avin a giraffe?
Buy one a year later for £55k

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I don
Someone has to buy the new one - for it to be available a year later "used"...
I don’t mean to be rude,but isn’t that a statement of the blindingly obvious?

And of course it’s the same with cars etc.

But to get the value out of it,you would have to keep it for a very long time......fine if that’s the plan.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
So what was your point :confused:?
“all for less than £70000”
are they ‘avin a giraffe?
Buy one a year later for £55k

Some folk like to buy new, some folk don't.
Some folk will spend 100k on new, some folk 50k on new.
Some folk think a Mercedes badge is worth a premium, some don't.

I thought this was obvious too. Perhaps I've missed something?

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
So what was your point :confused:?

Some folk like to buy new, some folk don't.
Some folk will spend 100k on new, some folk 50k on new.
Some folk think a Mercedes badge is worth a premium, some don't.

I thought this was obvious too. Perhaps I've missed something?

To answer your two questions:

My point was that it is obvious that ,in order for someone else to buy second hand,some other person would have had to buy it previously.

No,you probably haven’t missed anything. Some folk think Autotrails are value for money,some don’t. But for most people,buying a depreciating asset,brand new and with vat,is seldom a good deal. If they keep it for a long time,that doesn’t matter so much.

Oh,yes,and I’m also a believer in the “each to his own” philosophy.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I’m not sure about the fixed rear panel, I’ve read about quite a few problems with it.
I was going to say that all I really need extra to the 630RL is space for a couple of folding outside chairs (the sort that fold flat rather than umbrella shaped).
Then I realised that I could probably put them under rear of bed if only we hadn’t put 2 Bromptons in there :whistle::whistle:

We’ve just come back from a short trip and glad I had fleeces to cover the leather edges of the cushions. I really don’t see the attraction of the all leather upholstery that the Wildax is showing, it’s just cold to the touch even if van is warm

Never heard about problems with the fixed rear panel, what are they please.

Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
Why not buy new if you can nothing like being the first owner
Not sure if my grammar is ok but someone may comment

OP
OP
BillandHelen

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
Anyway, back roughly on topic! @CazPaul the only fault that I know of on the rear panel is bubbling or flaking paintwork in the area where the hinges were originally. Either needs respayed or the low tech route of covering with reflective pads!!

@Podney , if you think £70k is expensive you obviously haven’t priced up a new merc van conversion!! Agree, like all things in life second hand is always cheaper than new, great to have choice.

My real point here is that it’s grest to see another Uk designed and built (if no longer owned) builder doing something new and innovative, I for one hope they are a success!

Bill

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Anyway, back roughly on topic! @CazPaul the only fault that I know of on the rear panel is bubbling or flaking paintwork in the area where the hinges were originally. Either needs respayed or the low tech route of covering with reflective pads!!

@Podney , if you think £70k is expensive you obviously haven’t priced up a new merc van conversion!! Agree, like all things in life second hand is always cheaper than new, great to have choice.

My real point here is that it’s grest to see another Uk designed and built (if no longer owned) builder doing something new and innovative, I for one hope they are a success!

Bill

And the thing about buying a new IH van is that you can specify it nicely winterised and do tweaks here and there to suit you.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Never heard about problems with the fixed rear panel, what are they please.
I believe that some owners are having problems with the wood rotting inside the rear panel, possibly caused by leaks from rear window or just roaring around the screw holes. The wood is in there to attach the hinges and struts of the boot lid?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
And the thing about buying a new IH van is that you can specify it nicely winterised and do tweaks here and there to suit you.

Why on earth would a manufacturer produce a van that wasn’t winterised?

I certainly wouldn’t buy one that wasn’t.

But I guess that some manufacturers do and some folks must buy them.

Ian

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Why on earth would a manufacturer produce a van that wasn’t winterised?

I certainly wouldn’t buy one that wasn’t.

But I guess that some manufacturers do and some folks must buy them

Ian

No i wouldn't but one either but a lot of people do.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back