Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
We are away in our motorhome for a few days ,there is a bus stop outside the site,it's a nice well laid out site between Shrewsbury and Oswestry.
The owners have recently taken on this site,all facilities are good,clean,and we'll maintained.
I just can't understand why the site is nearly empty they have loads of pitches available and the owners are really friendly and accommodating.
The charges per night are grass only £27 per night,hardstanding with electric £32 per night.Having seen how hard they work I am asking not for any bitchy opinions but a constructive opinions as the owners are so lovely I would like to see them make a go of it,they must have paid a fortune for this site and as it stands as I see it they need to make a reasonable return on their investment.

Solution2
Well I certainly did not expect the amount of comments I got , thanks to you all for your feed back ,good or bad,that's what's it about ,the site is CRANBERRY MOSS BETWEEN OSWESTRY AND SHREWSBURY,just off the A5,about 60pitches grass non electric,grass with, hardstanding with electric, toilets, showers,laundry,washing up facilities, bus stop outside,no service on Sundays.
Small amount of goods sold in reception, no play area for kids,no shops nearby,or pubs.
But I have to say it suited our needs.
Then I for one will try it. Looks good👍

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
As with any commodity or service, when the price is appropriate to location and service offered it will sell, if demand is sufficient.
Dare I say far to expensive for the area or facilities, thus poor take up.
One big challenge is as new owners did they purchase at the appropriate price? That will have a bearing on expectations.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We are away in our motorhome for a few days ,there is a bus stop outside the site,it's a nice well laid out site between Shrewsbury and Oswestry.
The owners have recently taken on this site,all facilities are good,clean,and we'll maintained.
I just can't understand why the site is nearly empty they have loads of pitches available and the owners are really friendly and accommodating.
The charges per night are grass only £27 per night,hardstanding with electric £32 per night.Having seen how hard they work I am asking not for any bitchy opinions but a constructive opinions as the owners are so lovely I would like to see them make a go of it,they must have paid a fortune for this site and as it stands as I see it they need to make a reasonable return on their investment.

Those sort of prices should cool the MH sales market.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
How are they marketing the site? It needs to be seen by potential customers. Is it on PitchUp, UKcampsite etc? Does it have a good website with attractive photography? Then it's down to facilities, attractions in the area etc and of course cost.

Reactions: hja
Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Too expensive.
I remember our P.E. teacher stopping our football match and making us look at a passing train. He asked us how many people we saw on the train. In 4 carriages there were literally 3 or 4 people in total. He was South African and said they halved the train prices when he still lived there and then the trains were full. I learn't more from that interruption than kicking a ball around.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
My opinion?
Firstly,there are quite a lot of folk with motorhomes costing up to £100k who won’t pay £5 over the odds on a site. Quite odd!
Secondly,that part of the world is very underrated so will never attract the volume market. For me,that is an attraction as it means less people!! I recall many years ago,when chatting at work about going to Shropshire on holiday,it was obvious quite a few folk didn’t reallyeven know where it was!

As for the price,I don’t mind paying over the odds if the site has what I’m looking for. There are no pockets in a shroud,and I’m trying to spend it,but not everybody is in that situation.

They need to be sure what their best selling points are,and advertise accordingly.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
If you named the lovely site it might help to attract visitors. I keep a note of good sites when they are recommended by Funsters.
;)
I always choose a site by location and don't look at the cost which is immaterial if it suits my area of interest although I never want to stay on large sites with all the bells and whistles.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
In my opinion it's too expensive for the location.

Another reason for the low occupancy may be because it's on the way to Wales and folks just don't want to stay half way to their destination.

However being a person brought up in North Shropshire I know that there is some wonderful countryside and attractions to visit

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Those thinking these prices are expensive are living in a time warp. Less than £225 for a weeks holiday in the peak summer weeks. There's loads to see and do along that stretch of the A5 corridor.

Are we talking Cranberry Moss? If so it's an excellent site with all of the expected and desired facilities built to a high standard.

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Don't see the relevance?
Different product altogether
Is it that different though? Ok at Love2stay you get a serviced pitch and the option to sit in one of two hot tubs that were crammed full of kids the whole time I was there. Oh, and an extremely overpriced coffee shop.

Upvote 0

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
I suppose we all have different ways of choosing sites and what floats our boat ... a bus stop is certainly not a selling point for me. Local attractions, a pub, shop, restaurant ... good phone signal, as you can probably guess we're not the back of beyond types ;)

Upvote 0

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Way too expensive for me.

For a couple £25 is £12.50 each for a night's holiday. For a solo it's £25 a night to sleep in a field.

Must be wonderful NOT to have to consider price but there are lots of us that do consider it as the main factor.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am afraid hard work doesn't hold much sway when people are spending their money, there are sites around there at £12 upwards, and a load of pubstops for free, what makes this camp stand out from the others?

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We stayed on an ex-CCC site which fits this description. The bus stop was "outside" BUT the bus took a long time and a convoluted route to get anywhere. I don't think that we would go back.

Gordon

Upvote 0
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Whilst not particularly expensive I wouldn't pay that.

We recently spent three nights at C&CC site at Normans Bay, Pevensey.

Grass pitch no EHU £18.50 a night, all facilities including laundry, bus and trains a short walk away... Two minutes walk to the beach.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
IMHO, £27 for grass pitch only, £32 with electric is pretty expensive, especially for an independent looking to build a regular client base.
I always appreciate the sites which have a website showing prices for low, medium & high periods, with or without EHU, its easier to make a more informed choice for us, as we dont need an EHU.(hence why we ditched The CMC, not that ,many sites have non electric pitch offerings)

We know of a beautiful farm site with 14/15 pitches, some hardstanding, some grass, all of which have electric, if desired, priced accordingly, but not a fiver a night, especially in summer.
They have been in business long enough to know that if they send out regular updates of what is going on locally, plus offering deals like 5nights for 4 in the low to medium periods to guests that have stayed before, they can keep the place pretty busy,100% full at this time of year or at least 30/50% pitch take up even through the coldest, inclement months.
PS: They also offer very large undercover/outside caravan storage, and are a Cassoa Gold Site, with £3 quid a night pitch discount if you store with them, however they do charge a small fee for towing in/out your van and placing it on a pitch.
Rally Fields are another good earner for campsite owners, if they have the space.(y)
Time will tell, however if I had empty pitches at this time of year, I would be asking myself some questions.
LES

Upvote 1
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just a couple of questions, is there a pub or shop within easy walking distance, is there anything to keep kids interested, is it quiet away from a main road, any wildlife, all things that people want, electric hookup and stuff is not a big attraction if you have to keep going out in your van, bus stop, ok but not for everyone.
No I'd say it's a one nighter at best for folks heading for the Welsh hills and coast but plenty pubs for that free.
Did they find out why the other owner sold up?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back