mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
As I posted elsewhere we put a deposit down on our new van yesterday. Private sale from a lovely couple who have really looked after the van and spent hours yesterday going over everything for us.

We came away with a picture of the v5 so I can sort tax and insurance ready to pick up and I have just notices it is tax class PLG rather than PHG I expected

Looking further, the revenue weight is showing as 3250 rather than the 3850 shown on the alko plate under the bonnet.

I've read a lot about replating but this isn't replating.. I presume it is a mistake on the v5... Looking at DVLA I still need to present a plating certificate to get this changed. Would this be something that is in the huge pack of paperwork the seller wen through yesterday? I wonder if I can get them to send me a picture of it so I can confirm before I buy (don't want to buy the van and then have to pay for replating)

Thanks in advance.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I suspect like you that it was a DVLA cock up on day one, personally I probably wouldn't bother doing anything, you would save a bit on tax each year, but that would take a few years to recover if there are any costs associated with the change now

Although thinking that through, if it really has never been altered, even after all these years it might just be a paper exercise for the DVLA and done as part of the registering to your name

I wouldn't worry about it either way though :)(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Probably a mistake but DVLA won't believe you.
The plate under the bonnet is not relevant if it is the base vehicle plate (Fiat/Ford/Merc) as the final plate takes priority you need to look at the converters plate, it can be under the bonnet near the base vehicle or drivers footwell or on the side of the van.

Edit::-
Just read again and see you said Al-Ko plate so there should be a 3rd converter's plate that is the one to go by but I can't imagine any van at 3250 being on an Al-Ko chassis pretty certain it is a mistake but you will need at the very least a photo of the converters plate for DVLA even if they don't request a engineers report.

Also I suspect it would be impossible to run at 3250 so could cost you heavy (no pun intended:)) if you got stopped for a weight check.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Probably a mistake but DVLA won't believe you.
The plate under the bonnet is not relevant if it is the base vehicle plate (Fiat/Ford/Merc) as the final plate takes priority you need to look at the converters plate, it can be under the bonnet near the base vehicle or drivers footwell or on the side of the van.
No, he says the plate under the bonnet is alko, so that would be later than the vehicle plate.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Anyone think a previous owner may have Downrated it some time:rolleyes:

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Just a thought. Wait until you own the van then complain to DVLA that you have been overpaying your VEL for the past X years and request a refund !

They wont give it to you but worth a go

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
The cynic in me and to cover all possibilities..... please make sure it's the right reg for the van as when I bought a stolen one there were small discrepancies like this and I lost 18k... please check...

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
OK so I'm thinking this should be almost zero cost (but lots of faffing) to sort out and I'm OK with that. Do you think (eventually) I will be able to get Dvla to change the v5 based just on pictures of the plates or will I need other paperwork? If I need other stuff will it be stuff that was issued by the converter originally or will I need to engage someone like svtech?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
OK so I'm thinking this should be almost zero cost (but lots of faffing) to sort out and I'm OK with that. Do you think (eventually) I will be able to get Dvla to change the v5 based just on pictures of the plates or will I need other paperwork? If I need other stuff will it be stuff that was issued by the converter originally or will I need to engage someone like svtech?
I would start by sending them a photo of the converters plate and politely point out they may have made a typo when entering the details. Make sure they are aware that it is their mistake rather than you wanting to change the weight.
Also check line F.1 on the V5 Max permissable weight and get that corrected as well.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Ignore the request for a plating certificate, that's for commercial goods vehicles not private heavy goods vehicles.
As said, look for the van converters plate...hymer, swift etc...and take a clear photo plus a photo of the van to clearly show the number plates.
Fiat and Alko plates are irrelevant unless they show the correct revenue weight.

Change the V5 to the correct weight where instructed on the V5, post to DVSA along with a cover letter explaining the problem and the plate and van photo's.
You will need some form of payment (£165) to cover new tax rate so maybe ring DVSA to ask about that.
No payment....no changes to V5.
Or...you could send a SORN declaration but then you can't drive it home.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
In your " huge stack of paper work" is there a manual to the base van, useually in the back it has a page or two about weights, is there actually a van that weighs 3250, if not it's got to be a mistake ,

Deleted User
Ignore the request for a plating certificate, that's for commercial goods vehicles not private heavy goods vehicles.
As said, look for the van converters plate...hymer, swift etc...and take a clear photo plus a photo of the van to clearly show the number plates.
Fiat and Alko plates are irrelevant unless they show the correct revenue weight.

Change the V5 to the correct weight where instructed on the V5, post to DVSA along with a cover letter explaining the problem and the plate and van photo's.
You will need some form of payment (£165) to cover new tax rate so maybe ring DVSA to ask about that.
No payment....no changes to V5.
Or...you could send a SORN declaration but then you can't drive it home.

Are you sure that should not be DVLA

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
The cynic in me and to cover all possibilities..... please make sure it's the right reg for the van as when I bought a stolen one there were small discrepancies like this and I lost 18k... please check...
Just for your peace of mind, as you're buying privately, might be worth taking the time to double check all of the identification [VIN] etc of the van.
Discrepancies can be the first heads up warning of a wrong 'un.
90% sure it will be a clerical error, but just in case :unsure:?

Dec 10, 2013
South Staffs
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
Since 2013
I would do as a few have suggested on here and double check everything as you don't want to buy a wrong un.
I had a similar thing when buying our motorhome when I found out the vin no on the v5 didn't tally with the one on the plates on the motorhome, only one number out (never stopped a cheque so quick in my life)
Turned out it was a mistake when first registered and the two previous owners had never noticed.

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
There should be another plate/sticker somewhere,but if it's a sticker it may well have come off.AT also put stickers with a build number on in one of the inside lockers/cupboards,they should be able to tell you what weight it left the factory at if you can provide them with enough info!

image.jpeg

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No, he says the plate under the bonnet is alko, so that would be later than the vehicle plate.

Later than the vehicle plate but earlier than the converters plate.

I've got three (plus a fourth from my uprate) on mine. 1st from Fiat, 2nd from Alko and 3rd from Rapido.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
@mjltigger I'd probably be inclined to phone and speak to DVLA initially rather than just sending information in randomly.

They are usually pretty good to deal with on the phone and although you will almost certainly still have to send the information to them if you're lucky you might get a department or reference number to put on the envelope to expedite the process instead of your letter disappearing for ever into their general enquiry system.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
I've just checked my V5C and to my dismay, there's no weights listed at all! They must know that I'm below 3.500kg because they've just had my tax renewal of £240.

Pete

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've just checked my V5C and to my dismay, there's no weights listed at all! They must know that I'm below 3.500kg because they've just had my tax renewal of £240.

Pete

They are rubbish... I'm so taken with this van it won't put me off but I'm not looking forward to the battle...

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just because I am thick and do such things, I would just send it in when you get it and put he right weight in and see what happens, you never know, might work and if it doesn't they will just send it back then you can start arguing about it.

Apr 10, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Sept 2003
When I bought my van second hand the V5 had the wrong number of travel seats and the wrong number of axles :eek:. DVLA were pretty good about fixing it once I'd sent in pictures of the van exterior and the seat belts in the back. It was obviously a clerical error or two originally that none of the previous owners had noticed (or bothered with).

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
:D
Just because I am thick and do such things, I would just send it in when you get it and put he right weight in and see what happens, you never know, might work and if it doesn't they will just send it back then you can start arguing about it.

Funnily enough that's exactly what I would do

I've just bought a bike that's had a colour change but not on v5 so just changed it :D

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Thanks all. Some great advice. I will call DVLA on Tuesday and get some advice...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Pete
My old (1982) suzuki sj410 jeep had, according to the V5, a gross weight of 3500kg.
The unladen was just 997kg and a 1ltr petrol engine so its extremely unlikely it could even carry an extra 2500kg, let alone pull it
Never did anyth8ng about it.

OP
OP
mjltigger

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I stand corrected but DVSA came into existance in 2014
Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency is the old VOSA and DSA conbined.
My mistake and noted. (y)

I always mix them up...

In your " huge stack of paper work" is there a manual to the base van, useually in the back it has a page or two about weights, is there actually a van that weighs 3250, if not it's got to be a mistake ,

Yes but.. The model was obviously very new and the dealer / salesman has hand written a reference to a different model.. )Can't remember what because I've left the paperwork with the current van ) and a note to say new model for 2002

Just for your peace of mind, as you're buying privately, might be worth taking the time to double check all of the identification [VIN] etc of the van.
Discrepancies can be the first heads up warning of a wrong 'un.
90% sure it will be a clerical error, but just in case :unsure:?

I'm going to do an HPI check to be on the safe side although we spent hours with the owners yesterday and fully trust them... But who's to say they weren't conned when they bought it

There should be another plate/sticker somewhere,but if it's a sticker it may well have come off.AT also put stickers with a build number on in one of the inside lockers/cupboards,they should be able to tell you what weight it left the factory at if you can provide them with enough info!

View attachment 160406

Thanks for that. I will have a look when I pick it up..

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Just a thought. Wait until you own the van then complain to DVLA that you have been overpaying your VEL for the past X years and request a refund !

They wont give it to you but worth a go
That only works for the number of years the new owner has paid excessive RFL fees. In this case, one year/six months. It is down to the previous owner to claim his/her excessive RFL fees, during their years of ownership. Been there and done that. ;)

When I bought my van second hand the V5 had the wrong number of travel seats and the wrong number of axles :eek:. DVLA were pretty good about fixing it once I'd sent in pictures of the van exterior and the seat belts in the back. It was obviously a clerical error or two originally that none of the previous owners had noticed (or bothered with).
I was in a similar situation, when we bought our MH secondhand. A letter on the chassis number on the V5 was wrong, the number of axles was wrong, and the RFL classification was wrong. The HPI check also showed up the minor mistakes. I didn't find DVLA Swansea helpful at all, and although they wouldn't give me the number of the local office, by hook and by crook, I managed to find it. Their representative came to the house to view the MH, (had tea and biccies) and it was all sorted out from there, as was a refund for excessive RFL fees paid by Moi. (y) Sadly the local office is no more. :(

Since uplating the MH recently, they have once again got the V5 details wrong, by deleting an axle from the chassis. Gordon Bennett. I'm now on my fourth V5 for the same vehicle. :doh:

@mjltigger. Although I am sure that everything will be genuine, our HPI check was money well spent, for that extra piece of mind, and like you say, maybe the sellers were unwittingly conned.

Good luck with it all. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back