Wood filler

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by MikeandCarolyn, Nov 22, 2014.

1. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Recently had all our internal doors changed,so now need to fill the holes left by the old striker plates.
    Carpenter suggested Ronseal white wood filler,but neglected to mention that it was a 2 part thing where you have to mix hardener with the filler and then you have 20 mins to use it :LOL:
    I mixed the smallest amount they suggested,which should have done 2 door frames,but by time I'd done one it had gone off !!
    What would you use ??.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ronseal two part - it's fantastic.

Use a bit less hardener and work quicker.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Popeye

Popeye Funster

I use Ronseal white-wood filler and hard-wood filler and just yesterday I noticed that my decorator uses it too.

He makes up a small amount and whacks it on, then when it has gone off he quickly sands it and makes up some more for the final fill, which doesn't need sanding. The job is done in minutes and I can't see where he has filled afterwards, brilliant.

I used to make up too much and then attempt the finished job in one hit which is where most people go wrong he tells me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikeandCarolyn

I have to say,I have just sanded the one I did complete and it is the best I've ever done (y) It's just that with 10 more to do I don't relish doing it 'mix by mix' as it were.
    Was kinda hoping someone would say that product X is just as good and doesn't need mixing :LOL:

5. icantremember

icantremember Funster

If you are painting over the filler then I would use a ready mixed light filler like THIS

• Like Like x 1
  6. Frentchy

Frentchy Funster

An old carpenters solution. In glue an dust we place our trust, if that don't work, f**king putty must!:)

• Like Like x 4
  7. MikeandCarolyn

I was going to 'bin it' but,as a result of your replies,I went back to it and have now finished 5 door frames,leaving 5 to do tomorrow-thx for giving me the incentive (y)

• Like Like x 1