Wok cooking

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Flyingscotsman2, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Does anybody use a wok cooking in the van wat recipes do u do. Info would be great.

2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Hi,

We have given up with trying to stir fry things in the van. I don't think it works very well unless you have a really powerful gas ring to get everything really sizzling. At home it is probably worse as we have an electric hob - even with a halogen ring it doesn't get as hot as we would like and things end up a bit soggy...... Hope that helps

3. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

We have 3 gas hobs and a electric hob and it does get hot enough I think. Want to start eating more healthily. I also have an out side gas for the BBQ as well. So I wonder who cooks with it

4. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

We find that cooking anything at high temperature inside the van makes it smell for days afterwards so we use a calor gas stove or electric frying pan outside.

As for recipes - anything to hand goes in. Onions, peppers, aubergine, courgettes, garlic with left-over chicken and a packet of microwave rice chucked in at the end. Season with soy sauce or chilli jam.

• Like Like x 7
  5. DuxDeluxe

Hi Hugh, we have the same arrangement and inside just not the searing heat needed for a non soggy stir fry and as Dawn and Mike B will testify, the Cadac didn't get too hot either....... That was due mainly to operator error, though :blush:

+1 for what Janine said. Simple and fast. With chicken

• Like Like x 2
  6. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

I find the Cadac gets plenty hot enough for a small wok.
    Get a carbon steel one and season it, non stick are a waste of money.
    Cook strong smelling dishes outside for the reasons Janine outlined.
    Recipe for stir fry?
    Already said, what ever comes to hand, just don't overcook.
    In this country we tend to overcook most things.
    Cook meat, take it out, cook veg, return meat, add sauce if required.
    Done.
    Stir fried veggies should be cooked but crisp.
    Texture is as important as taste.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DuxDeluxe

Exactly, John - I did say that the Cadac experience was operator error; compounded by two of the world's best mickey takers as observers..........

As you say, it is about texture as well as taste - soggy stir fry is not very nice. You can get away without the precooking if it is sliced thinly enough, especially steak. Chicken we always precook.

• Like Like x 1
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

woks do definately come into their own when cooking outside on a real fire .
    you can use them but they dont really work unless buried in a nice red ash fire .
    then they do beat every other type of cooking .
    i like using an oven or pressure cooker .
    but when in the right place a fire and a wok work great. ..

• Like Like x 2
  9. johnp10

johnp10 Funster

Of course they do, Alan.
    Any sufficient heat source will do the job nicely.

I thought I'd be flash one time and use chopsticks to eat my meal.
    Mrs served soup.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

This won't help but when my dear departed father in law used to do stir fry he would fill the wok with frozen vegetables and it would become 'stir boil' .........truly disgusting:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I use the wok in the van all the time.
    It's a great pan - use it for everything not just stir fry. Did breakfast in it this morning! Also did a chilli in it last week. Very versatile.
    The Chinese don't really use much else!

• Like Like x 1
  12. DLT

DLT Funster

I cook chips in mine out side on cadac

13. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Hi Hugh. Agree with Brewery Dave. Use my wok all the time in the van ... in fact very seldom would I make a main meal NOT in it.....

Re ideas ... there are so very many different cook in sauces now that you can do whatever you want. I am vegetarian but if you want meat just cook your meat (in the wok) first... then put it to one side.

I put small amount of virgin olive oil in the pan with a splash of either Worcester sauce, or Soy sauce ... depending on which cook in sauce I am going to use ... plus LOADS OF BLACK PEPPER.... Add whatever you want ............... chopped onions, peppers, garlic, any in season vegetable.. then add your meat and pour in your cook in sauce OR A TIN OF PLUM TOMATOES .... Leave to simmer for about ten minutes on low heat. Again depending on what sauce/tin you use I then add a small amount of sweet corn from a tin.

The whole thing takes maximum of fifteen minutes ... and don't forget you can chop all your vegetable before you leave home and put them in plastic containers in the fridge.

If using chicken breasts you can use Green Thai curry sauce or something like that with very little else .. and serve with rice. There is a box of rice now which takes only ten minutes to cook so it can be cooking in another pan whilst doing your wok food. If hungry, can put garlic bread in over for ten minutes at same time.... so everything still done in fifteen minutes total.

In other words I LOVE MY WOK... Had it years and now Dave Busman is going to borrow it at Southport having shared a meal with me in my van.

Oh, and re your rice ... for a change now and then ... you can buy tins of coconut milk at supermarkets but go to the foreign aisle as it is about sixty pence as opposed to two pounds in usual aisles.... and use that to cook your rice in as opposed to water.

Also, don't forget you can add chopped onions or sweet corn or peas to the rice at the last minute of cooking just for a change. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We have a Wok. The mother in law irons her blouse on it........:)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  15. DuxDeluxe

I still struggle with getting the thing hot enough, though. Love stir fried food but hate it when soggy...... As before - operator error. Oh well, back to wok tomorrow..........

• Like Like x 2
  16. movan

LOL Oh dear, David..... your reputation as a chef has already preceded you I am afraid. ;)

17. Clive

Clive Funster Life Member

I always used my wok outside for stir fry normally on my Cadac. The reason, well wait till the oil is smoking, then give it another few minutes, the secret to hot crispy veg. One of mine and the boys favourites....
    200g chicken, 300g of noodles, straight to wok are the easiest, a large bag of stir fry veg, a piece of ginger, 2 cloves of garlic and a red chilli. First cook chicken then remove. Then reheat wok, add veg, garlic and chilli, about 8-10 minutes. Put chicken back in with cooked noodles, 4 tbsp soy sauce, I normally use dark as not as salty, 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar, some fresh chopped coriander. Stir and coat everything then serve. :D

• Like Like x 5
  18. DuxDeluxe

I know who grassed me up as well........... I was really not having a good day (excuse no 34 from the I-Spy book of pathetic excuses) and knowing that the pee was going to be mercilessly taken, really should not have said "oh by the way, bring yer own food......"

• Like Like x 1
  19. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

I was in our local Chinese the other day, whilst talking to the owner I noticed the Wok in the background had caught fire, i pointed and said Wok, Wok.

He said whoose there !!
    :imoutahere:

Sorry :)

• Like Like x 7
  20. movan

:groan::groan::groan::groan::groan::lips:

• Like Like x 1