Mar 26, 2015
lincoln
Funster No
MH
peugeot wayfarer
Exp
I`m a newbie
Nah then.
I am hoping to get to Spain just after the xmas turkey gets thrown out, will I need winter tyres on the mh. To me a tyre is a tyre which I have.....5 in fact and in pretty good nik and would I need snow chains, I'm traveling down the east side of France toward the med side so hopefully not many hills to climb. and heading back around the end of Jan. Sorry if there's an old post somewhere.:)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
AFAIK------you are only required to carry chains if going to mountains --like the Alps---I don't think winter tyres are required in France/Spain or Portugal----------someone will, no doubt confirm this (or say it's totally wrong)--------I can't understand why, with winter tyres being required in many Countries why more people don't fit 'all season tyres'--then you don't have the worry of having correct tyres fitted ???
You probably won't see too much snow BUT there is the possibility !!!!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
No you don't need winter tyres I always take chains just in case but not needed them in last three years.Tyrepal do a good set at around £47

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We met a Swedish guy who always carries a set of 'snow socks' (for his van)------he reckons they are all you need in snow/ice----and they are easier to fit (he said)---and much lighter. His were Norwegian but I imagine you can get them from China !!!!! --------I was going to get some but our present van came with a set of chains

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
As far as I know, you would only require chains or snow shoes in France if the weather is really bad and they broadcast the need for them. In reality the main trunk roads are normally kept clear but some mountainous areas would be unwise to consider driving on without special equipment.
I do not own snow tyres, shoes or chains and have crossed France into Spain close to Irun (in the North) during bad weather and all main roads were fine, the minor roads were not. This only caused us problems when seeking Aires. Please note that in mid-winter you may have problems getting water as taps are usually isolated and unless you have a winterised waste tank, you could find difficulty emptying it, as it can freeze up. Alan

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back