Winter tyres.uk & abroad

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by stringa, Nov 4, 2015.

1. stringa

stringa Funster

Nah then.
    I am hoping to get to Spain just after the xmas turkey gets thrown out, will I need winter tyres on the mh. To me a tyre is a tyre which I have.....5 in fact and in pretty good nik and would I need snow chains, I'm traveling down the east side of France toward the med side so hopefully not many hills to climb. and heading back around the end of Jan. Sorry if there's an old post somewhere.:)

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

AFAIK------you are only required to carry chains if going to mountains --like the Alps---I don't think winter tyres are required in France/Spain or Portugal----------someone will, no doubt confirm this (or say it's totally wrong)--------I can't understand why, with winter tyres being required in many Countries why more people don't fit 'all season tyres'--then you don't have the worry of having correct tyres fitted ???
    You probably won't see too much snow BUT there is the possibility !!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Speve

Speve Funster

No you don't need winter tyres I always take chains just in case but not needed them in last three years.Tyrepal do a good set at around £47

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

We met a Swedish guy who always carries a set of 'snow socks' (for his van)------he reckons they are all you need in snow/ice----and they are easier to fit (he said)---and much lighter. His were Norwegian but I imagine you can get them from China !!!!! --------I was going to get some but our present van came with a set of chains

• Like Like x 1
  5. rosalan

rosalan Funster

As far as I know, you would only require chains or snow shoes in France if the weather is really bad and they broadcast the need for them. In reality the main trunk roads are normally kept clear but some mountainous areas would be unwise to consider driving on without special equipment.
    I do not own snow tyres, shoes or chains and have crossed France into Spain close to Irun (in the North) during bad weather and all main roads were fine, the minor roads were not. This only caused us problems when seeking Aires. Please note that in mid-winter you may have problems getting water as taps are usually isolated and unless you have a winterised waste tank, you could find difficulty emptying it, as it can freeze up. Alan

• Like Like x 1