Winter holiday in the UK ... where?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Minxy Girl, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

We've decided we'd like to have a few weeks away after Christmas but staying in the UK, so we'll need somewhere with things to do, ideally with a bit better weather than going up to the North of Scotland!

I might be able to persuade hubby to go for a break before Christmas too (I'm going stir-crazy having the new van and not using it!!!!).

Anyone got any suggestions?

Due to the cost of travelling (fuel/Eurotunnel, and dogs) etc going abroad is gonna prove too expensive me-thinks.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Mel why not think about Snowbirds trip to Morocco, think its brilliant, once you are there so reasonable you will save money, deisel 48p and sites buttons, and certainly will be just as good as a guided tour but with Snowbird helping without the fancy price tag, I'm still torn, but we do every other year UK & Abroad.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Errrr Bermuda or Gibraltar perhaps ?

4. sedge

sedge Funster

Well - towns LOL

Bath, is one that springs to my mind. Cos you can 'do' the Roman Baths, Jane Austen and all that. Then head out into rural Zummerzet and there's the Haynes Museum and an RAF one.

Think there's a fair bit to see in Harrogate isn't there?

Ironbridge Gorge, buy a passport because there are about 8 different things you can go and see and even if you dashed from one to another and didn't look properly, it's still take you longer than a day.

The Black Country Museum is also v interesting if you're into ye olden days, then into B'ham on the train, into the Jewellery Quarter and see the 'Back to Backs' (Nat Trust) and B'ham Museum & Art Gallery to see the Staffordshire Hoard and loads of Wm Morris, Burne Jones etc and plenty of other paintings. Could spend whole a day in there. There's a Science Museum in Brum too, but don't think it's called that now LOL

Depends what you are 'into' really!

• Like Like x 1
  5. marrod23

marrod23 Funster

winter in england

Hi you might like cornwall in winter down Penzance, St ives way usually warmer & much easier to get around happy travels Rod

• Like Like x 2
  6. yorkieman

yorkieman Funster

I think Jenny's suggestions of Bath and Harrogate are excellent. Of course, anywhere in Yorkshire (well pretty much anywhere) always makes for a pleasant time :Smile:

• Like Like x 3
  7. JJ

JJ Funster

A few days in Bath and all your money will be gone!

Have you seen what they charge at the Marina Campsite?

And the best reason to go to Bath (to see the Bizarre Bath Comedy Walk) is not on during the winter.

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  8. aden

aden Read Only Funster

Hi Corel, Morocco is not a bad idea but I think Costa Rica also a good choise. It is a quick developing Main Area places that will be developed absolutely to a tourist, experiencing the near ideal environment and offering all the hands on functions and support needed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Canterbury Camping Club site is open all year and you can get the bus from outside into Canterbury or Sandwich, also Dover Castle open all year, Howletts wild animal park not too far from the site either. :BigGrin:

10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Keep the suggestions coming! Morocco - a bit far and not sure of the situation regarding dogs either! To go abroad with them will cost us £150 minimum (ferry and return vets) so not a 'cheap' option.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

We usually spend a bit of winter time in the New Forest. Brilliant for the dogs and very beautiful if it gets really cold and frosty. Setthorns site (now run by the C&CC) is open all year with EHU and no toilets/showers and right in the Forest a mile or so from Brockenhurst. We also like Yorkshire but I don't suppose that really appeals as thats where you're going from.

12. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

A number of folk have mentioned Yorkshire, I'm obviously biased but the suggestion of Harrogate is a good un & with Knaresborough & York nearby I can see a mini tour emerging.
    Wetherby is a nice little town & you can go off into the Yorkshire Dales or head to the Yorkshire Coast (Whitby, Robin Hoods Bay etc)via the North Yorks Moors. Its all breathtaking scenery & you'll always get a friendly welcome.
    If you need retail therapy Leeds is also on your doorstep. Lastly although we are up North we are east of the Pennines so can have pretty decent dry sunny weather in the winter but along with that it can be quite cold.:thumb:
    oh yes post script its good value for money!!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

Oooops, sorry Minx didn't realise you are from East Yorks ! what a Clot I am:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  14. novawight

novawight Read Only Funster

Hibernation seems a good idea, but can,t find it n the map............Del

• Like Like x 2
  15. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

You could give Shropshire a look at. We have scenery to die for and the Ironbridge Gorge museums will give you plenty to do for at least a couple of days, possibly up to a week. South of the county there is Ludlow which is a cracking little town with plenty to see and do, especially of you like food as it has more Michelin star restaurants than the city of London. South Shropshire hills (Long Mynd, Clee hills etc are a lovely place to visit if the weather is in your favour but could be a bit bleak in mid winter if the weather is rough. Shrewsbury is a pleasant town and while the centre is not motorhome friendly they do have a good park n ride service. There's plenty of other small towns in the county worth a look at, Bridgnorth, Cleobury Mortimer, Bishops Castle even Oswestry.

D.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rangitira

rangitira Funster

CC Site at Hillhead, Bus at gate to Dartmouth, Paignton and Torquay, there is a restaurant, pub, shop on site, you have to book early tho as it's very popular

• Like Like x 1
  17. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

18. Drew

Drew Funster

Can I suggest that you don't plan but check out the weather a couple of days before travelling. The met office site will give you an accurate forecast for 2 days in advance and a good indication for what is coming for the week ahead. Then choose which direction you go depending on where the best weather is most likely to be. You should be able to find a site or a CL quite easily in January. The added bonus is that you might go somewhere that you would never have thought of. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  19. stcyr

stcyr Funster

... bognor ..... :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  20. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Cornwall would be my bet as it is likely to be milder.

Camping Caradon at Polperro and Padstow Touring Park are open all year.

Lunarman

• Like Like x 1