Windows 10 forced update, no way to back out now.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Gromett, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

A couple of weeks ago Microsoft changed their windows 10 nagware so that it now schedules the update. If you didn't cancel it you would find yourself upgraded.

They have now removed the way to back out of it apparently.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/01/windows_10_nagware_no_way_out/

Looks like unless you take positive action to remove the nagware you will be forced to upgrade.

I can't currently confirm this as my windows laptop is currently being re-installed with Linux and I haven't got round to setting up dual boot.

I just thought I would provide a warning. I previously posted a link to this site which has a little tool to stop the update nags.

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

If you don't mind using regedit, You can try this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/01/08/windows_10_upgrade_blocker/

2. Billy23

Billy23 Funster

Great!! Love it:)(y):whistle:

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Thanks for the Never10 Link Karl
    If my Garage system self upgrades im out of business till i buy new equipment that is required for MoT /Diagnostics and printing/scanning
    It would cost me a good few beer tokens
    My equipment has been tried on W10 and it simply wont work, drivers are not being supplied by the Manf for W10. Im even using alternative drivers to get some kit working in W7 as its all basicly XP based stuff that dont like running in emulator modes either
    Geo(y)

4. Ambilkate

Ambilkate Funster Life Member

Left my laptop on Yesterday whilst we were out for the day :( when we got back windows 10 had installed :( had no choice had to continue . First impression ok but I havnt checked out all files ect . Hope all my pics are still on . We are away over the weekend at soul meet so will check it all out when We are back .
    Kind regards Kate x

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You could go back to running XP

I use XP an old Dell to run viewing software that won't run on W7

.. you can get updates until 2019 using this hack ...

Create a text file with the following (you can copy & paste), use Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\PosReady]
    "Installed"=dword:00000001

Now save the file as a .reg file, e.g. xp.reg, do make sure it is a .reg file and not a .reg.txt file.

Now navigate to the file you just created, double click on it and it will install in the registry, you should get a warning message if you have done it correctly.

Go to Security Centre in Control Panel and make sure Windows updates are turned on.

Re-boot your PC.

Now one last thing, the first update you need to do manually, click the start button then click "Windows update" or you can do it via IE.

IE should open with the update page which will run a check on your machine and download & install necessary files for the auto updates to work.

You will now receive updates until April 9th 2019.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

My last machine with xp on it Jim has long gone I would not actively seek it having got it all running on W7 But maybe someone will make use of that Tip

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Lot lover

Lot lover Funster

just because it's free does not mean that it is any good.

8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You should be fine. Two upgrades here, well 3 because I cancelled one, and everything intact. I think it's giving much more protection because it asks permission before many changes to are stored on the drive.

The start up time, when it's not doing an upgrade, is blindingly quick. When first installed it did do a lot of upgrading which took time but now it's only occasionally.

I now think this big push is to match Apple and try and get you to keep buying from the Microsoft store, which is optional.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

@Gromett. Karl, does this mean that whilst we've been abroad for several weeks, there is every chance MS has turned on our home PC, and installed Win 10, even though I have been rejecting their constant reminders to install? :eek:

If so, it's a bl##dy liberty. :mad:

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Not sure if you are serious lol..

When you get back after the first update has run it is likely from what I understand that MS will automatically schedule the update for you :eek:o_O

• Like Like x 1
  11. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

I'm not as IT savvy as yourself Karl ;) so yes, I am serious. My home PC has turned on during the night, and Windows updates have been installed, so what's to stop Win 10 being installed whilst I am absent? :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

12. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I used the Never 10 thingy which seems to have worked. SWMBO had the w10 installation happen which she didn't request, however its OK on her PC as she only uses it for email and Internet purchases.

Mine has some software that won't work with w10, and in fact I have some that will only work with XP, which I have on a laptop.

13. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Unplug it, even Microsoft can't do anything then.:)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Windows itself can't turn your computer on. If it is turning on un-requested then it is likely either a hardware or a firmware issue. It is Definately either a motherboard or PSU issue and nothing that windows itself is doing.

If you have left your PC plugged in while you are away, and you have this problem, then yes it may upgrade while you are away. However providing you are back within 30 days of it upgrading you can reverse it.

15. Delboyarapaho

Delboyarapaho Funster

both my desktop and laptops have upgraded themselves while I was overseas. both seem to run ok but while the email folder structure exists on both, the emails in the folders themselves are only available on the desk top. the laptop shows the folders but even after sync ing they are not available on the laptop. any ideas?