Window stolen in storage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by plunky, Jan 18, 2014.

1. plunky

plunky Funster

So yesterday my husband went to get the van to have a hinge replaced on the habitation door and the washroom window was completely missing - no other damage. We keep it in storage at a camping club site. Always assumed it was pretty secure. The wardens have been really helpful about it but wondered if this was a common occurrence? I guess whoever took it must have climbed the fence but it's not exactly an opportunist theft! Luckily it was the washroom because there is a lot of wet in there but at least it's built for it. (I have seen a couple of other threads on here about stolen windows but not in storage.) Any advice - would an alarm be of any use?:Angry:

2. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

That bad.

If I was a thief I wouldn't scale a fence and take a risk just for a window.

I reckon it's either someone ' on the inside' or someone on the ' outside' was disturbed before they could nick anything.

Complain in writing and security might improve - I am sure they charge enough!

• Like Like x 4
  3. plunky

plunky Funster

If they were trying to break into the van, I can't imagine why they would have taken the window away. Seems they wanted the window. I guess a lot of people come and go on these sites but the storage is always locked up when we arrive to take our van out. In fact it's always annoyed us a bit that they have to come down and unlock and then hang around while we get ready to leave!

4. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I had a rear window stolen from my old Autosleeper Symphony, and decided that some traveller had noticed the van outside my house while scrap metal collecting and just needed a Peugeot Boxer rear window. Seals were neatly cut and window maneuvered from behind the bike rack. The police wouldn't let me replace it until SOCO had been, which took 2 days and since it was raining all that time they got nothing, but my interior got wet!

There is a traveller site a mile away, but apparently the police don't (daren't) go there!:thumbdown:

Catherine

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

Sorry to hear about your theft. A few years ago I replaced my old vans bathroom window, it cost £500 I couldn't find a second hand one. My gut feeling it was a fellow storer, which for me makes the theft worse. Shame on them!
    Hope you get it all sorted, smoothly & quickly . Good luck .

• Like Like x 1
  6. enery8

enery8 Funster

We had an awning light lense stolen off our van in 'secure' storage :Angry:. It was key card entrance and exit with cctv on the gate, the only way in. We reckoned it was one of the other owners who nicked ours rather than spend a couple of quid to buy one:Angry:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. plunky

plunky Funster

Ours is an Elddis Autoquest so a common enough van and window. We reckon it might have been travellers - horrible to think that someone else in storage might nick it. It's better to feel that they wanted the window than to think they were trying to break in I guess. There's nothing on there worth stealing especially at this time of year. We've been told it's £340 just for the window itself, but need to get it done quickly. Thanks for sympathy!

8. UK Pete

UK Pete Read Only Funster

Thiefs will steal anything to order, definetly sounds like a fellow motorhomer has been involved in this given the price of new windows for motohomes, shame on these people, it also makes me worry about the fitting of expensive items on the roof, ie satelite systems , aerials, solar panels etc, they are all just sitting there for the picking by some scum bag thief
    pete

• Like Like x 1
  9. enery8

enery8 Funster

You could try Graham Chambers on 01202 622195 or 07976 256514 for a secondhand one. He does do mail order and he wont rip you off. good luck:Smile:

10. Caztur

Caztur Funster

Years ago we had a caravan in storage; we picked it up and brought it home to get ready for our holidays - luckily it was only a couple of miles away and it was summer so not dark but the indicators weren't working. Husband checked all the exterior lights and none were working - all the bulbs had been nicked. So had one of the gas bottles from the front locker and the steady winder!

Another time, different storage, all but two of the bed "cushions" and one sleeping bag disappeared.

I don't use storage places any more.

11. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Friends of our went to pick up their Transit based RWD MH from store, started OK into gear but would not move, the young son who was outside pointed out that there was something on the floor going round.

It was the end of the prop shaft as the rest had been nicked.

Martin

12. enery8

enery8 Funster

No, nor do we, we are lucky enough to be able get our van into the back garden :BigGrin:

13. plunky

plunky Funster

yes just seen the van myself and it's clearly a professional job! Very horrible! So here's another question - with a £200 excess and the repair likely to be £450 - 500 should we make a claim? We have two vehicles including the motorhome insured in my husband's name without protected no claims. The insurers first reaction was don't claim but I guess they would say that. With the competitive insurance market does 'no claims' make that much difference?

14. enery8

enery8 Funster

Depends on what other damage was done to remove it. If there is no damage to the body of the MH it might be just a nut and bolt job. If it is just a case of fitting a new/replacement window it could be a DIY job, if however, there is further damage it might be worth considering a professional repairer. Depending on your location there might be a trader-member of the forum in reasonable distance. Maybe worth asking on the forum if there is such member close enough.:Wink:

15. StitchUp

StitchUp Read Only Funster

The manager of a local storage site a few miles from me did just this sort of thing!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Terry

Terry Funster

Sorry to hear of this but on the bright side although expensive to buy they are very easy to fit
    terry

17. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Must have been a Spuds Fan they'll nick anything

Spanish for Spurs Supporters

[​IMG]

• Cada gallo canta en su muladar
    Literal translation
    : Each rooster sings on its dung-heap
    Your Shi*: Get over It

18. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

sorry to hear about the theft xxxx hope the motorhome is fully sorted soon for you.

Make sure you get plenty of compensation from the storage people xxxx

19. Kevinthecat

Kevinthecat Funster

When I replaced my £500 bathroom window , I claimed . I wish I hadn't and just paid it out the money myself . Every time you renew your insurance you have to declare the theft and they get their money back by increasing your premiums.

20. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We claimed for a cracked/ broken window last year. This year, of coarse, the quote had shot up, so we phoned around. Found a firm, told them about the claim, their response was 'that's OK, we wont take your prior claim into consideration.....' Got the cover for even less then what we paid before the window claim! It does pay to shop around.