Free Member
Oct 30, 2016
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
1 year
I appreciate that motorhome windows are easy to break open and have been watching the YouTube video of the wohnmobil-sicherheit.de system where a steel plate is fitted to the bottom of the plastic window which can then be screwed tight to the base frame.

Has anybody either fitted or had fitted this system in the UK? I've not been able to find any links yet.

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
I've not googled any of it, but if you're attaching steel to plastic, won't the plastic just break when forced with a jemmy?

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Oh I don't know. How far do you go with security?

I have always thought they will get in if they really want to and the more secure the more damage they are going to create.
I have always worked on the principle that - it is insured and there nothing left in there worth much anyway.
We do have a discreet safe for cash ---- and passports mainly because of the faff if they are stolen abroad.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Good points, but rather selfishly I'm hoping that an obvious display of security might make the opportunistic thief move on to an easier target.

There always that chance. You pays your money and take your chances. :cheers:

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Good points, but rather selfishly I'm hoping that an obvious display of security might make the opportunistic thief move on to an easier target.

In which case would a Crooklock type thing on your steering wheel not be an obvious display of security ? And a lot easier to fit !

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
visible and very effective deterrent is a disklok, trust me, no driving away with your pride and joy with that fitted, as for stopping em getting in, a good alarm maybe, but as several peeps have said, if they want in, theyll get in. failing that, a massive dog, see left or a gun:cautious:!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
I've fitted a very basic securing system so that the window handles cannot be pushed up from outside - ten minutes with a 1/8th drill and some short masonry nails. If the scrotes want to get in they'll have to make some noise. I've also fitted some of those window alarms as a bit of a visible deterrent but in the end you won't stop a determined thief.

A decent alarm for when the van is left unattended and our own "Growler"!

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
In which case would a Crooklock type thing on your steering wheel not be an obvious display of security ? And a lot easier to fit !

a crooklock, ie, a bar type thing on wheel is useless, so easy to circumvent (go me, big word) get a disklok.............

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've fitted a very basic securing system so that the window handles cannot be pushed up from outside - ten minutes with a 1/8th drill and some short masonry nails. If the scrotes want to get in they'll have to make some noise. I've also fitted some of those window alarms as a bit of a visible deterrent but in the end you won't stop a determined thief.

A decent alarm for when the van is left unattended and our own "Growler"!
Yup, you can fiddle around and make it tricky for the thief to get in, but ultimately they WILL get in! So make it deeply unpleasant for them WHEN they get in.

I tested our Growler, and deliberately set it off. I managed to stay in the van for about 20 seconds before admitting defeat and I hit the disarm button, any longer and I'm sure my ears would have started to bleed! :D

There is of course the fact that even if they do get in, and manage to withstand the truly deafening internal sirens, the van is totally immobilised so it isn't going anywhere even if they happen to have the keys!

So in summary +1 for the Growler :D

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
A friend bought a 7.5 tonner from the Police up north used to transport Scrotes around to court and to Gaol, it had lockable doors and bar on the windows, also had a large Police sign on both sides, they would not have gone near that and his racing bikes and living gear, was safe inside, even after the signs went.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
On our old van
the previous owner had made some 1 1/4" wide flat bar that he had plastic coated
these went top to bottom
and on the larger windows side to side as well. They screwed into the frames
A bit like a window a kid would draw. if someone wanted to get in they could
but visually they gave the impression of increased security.

Duck Truck

Free Member
Feb 27, 2015
UP North
Funster No
MH
Hobby 725
Exp
since 2012
We have a disclock as well be careful it bites fingers when folding

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
I've fitted 'Lock M Out's to all my windows. They will certainly provide a bit more security even when the window is on the first 'notch but if the thieves really want to get in they will.
The Lock M Out's are a visible and physical deterrent so hopefully they will go after easier pray.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
. . . so hopefully they will go after easier pray.

Good idea. I'll give it a go. If it works, then nun will get in to my van. :roflmto:
IMG_0722.JPG

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
visible and very effective deterrent is a disklok, trust me, no driving away with your pride and joy with that fitted, as for stopping em getting in, a good alarm maybe, but as several peeps have said, if they want in, theyll get in. failing that, a massive dog, see left or a gun:cautious:!

How about a dog with a gun??
IMG_0103.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm experimenting with something at the moment which will provide a visual deterrent, prevent anyone getting in easily even if they got the window open (so hopefully won't even bother trying) and also stop our dogs being able to jump/fall out if we have the window open (and also stop anyone reaching in too far). I just need to get hold of some clips first then I'll let you see it! :D

In the meantime feel free to guess what it is!!! :D2

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I'm experimenting with something at the moment which will provide a visual deterrent, prevent anyone getting in easily even if they got the window open (so hopefully won't even bother trying) and also stop our dogs being able to jump/fall out if we have the window open (and also stop anyone reaching in too far). I just need to get hold of some clips first then I'll let you see it! :D

In the meantime feel free to guess what it is!!! :D2

Secondary double glazing? :)

teknik155

Free Member
Apr 9, 2012
irthlingborough
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2002
In portugal 2 years ago we met a group of French motorhomers and one of them had been a blacksmith and he had made some wrought iron panels with fleur-de-lis etc that he fitted and secured inside the window frames so each van had a different design and were totally secure. They looked very good and unique. Forgot to take photo

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
I appreciate that motorhome windows are easy to break open and have been watching the YouTube video of the wohnmobil-sicherheit.de system where a steel plate is fitted to the bottom of the plastic window which can then be screwed tight to the base frame.

Has anybody either fitted or had fitted this system in the UK? I've not been able to find any links yet.

Robert cardiff

Free Member
Oct 8, 2017
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
Hymer 640 starline
Exp
4months
I have a hymer what i have done is i turn the drivers pilot seat right around and drilled a hole in the frame then fit a shutter padlock
This prevents the seat from being turned around so they cannot drive it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just realised I never put on here what I did! I used some folding window airers and put them on the inside of the windows between the inner wall and the blinds, works a treat, can be seen from outside so act as a deterrent, they also have the bonus of us being able to leave the windows open without the worry of people getting in if we're sat on the other side of the van, and also of course stops one of the dogs 'knocking' another out of the window (yes it has happened!).

window bars 2.JPG

rack.jpg

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Just realised I never put on here what I did! I used some folding window airers and put them on the inside of the windows between the inner wall and the blinds, works a treat, can be seen from outside so act as a deterrent, they also have the bonus of us being able to leave the windows open without the worry of people getting in if we're sat on the other side of the van, and also of course stops one of the dogs 'knocking' another out of the window (yes it has happened!).

View attachment 194127

View attachment 194126

Like your style, tho I did imagine from your earlier post that it might be some form of lattice work made up of old bra's and suspender belts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back