Window Insulation

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Stewart J, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

We bought 2 of those camping rolls (for sleeping on) the thermal ones with foil on one side. We cut them to fit our side windows what was left over taped together made one for the Heiki. The idea being to help with insulation during this cold weather and to keep down the condensation, were off to SW Scotland tomorrow.

Wifey and I disagree on should the foil side be inside or out?

What do my learned peers think, ie foil in keeps heat in, foil out reflects the cold? :Doh:

2. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

Hi
    sounds like a good idea
    Can you try one each way----see if you notice any difference
    I would think you may get condensation on foil if it's on the 'cold' side ???
    We did the same sort of thing --with foil either side of bubble wrap--in Alaska------------to keep out the light at night----not much dark in the summer !!!!!!!!!
    Nigel

3. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I made a set to fit my 5th wheel (Single Glazed)..

Roll of that thin bubble wrap coated in silver both sides,, Cut to fit each side and tidy up the edges with Silver Gaffer Tape..

Got a roll of sticky backed (Self Adhesive) Velcro one bit in each corner of window and obviousley corresponding side on silver screen`s..

Marked on each one where they went (12 windows in all )in felt pen so saves trying to do a jigsaw as to which goes where..

All laid flat when not in use under the bed..

Cut the condensation down to almost nothing accept in extreme cold, but even then stopped a hell of a lot...

Total cost, If I remember rightly was about £50.. and all the stuff sourced from B&Q.. :thumb:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

foil side will reflect heat so it goes inside.
    reverse them in summer.

think summer silver screens...foil side out to reflect suns rays.

very good idea as well.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi internal screens have the foil facing out - but still get condensation :Doh: Try both ways and report back please :thumb: The external screens stop all condensation :thumb:
    terry

6. pappajohn

see above post terry.:thumb:

7. Terry

Terry Funster

Posts crossed - I often write half a post get called away then finish off and post only to find someone else said what I was saying :Rofl1: This little bit is my 3rd attempt :Rofl1::Rofl1::BigGrin: note to self check no one else has posted in the meantime :Rofl1:
    terry

8. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Many Thanks

My argument precisely OH is not convinced so will test this next week and revert.

Stewart :thumb:

9. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

We use squares of a really expensive carpet underlay that friends had excess of. Only use it in the rooflights now, silver side down. When we used to use it in the Swift, side windows, silver inwards, worked a treat and we used it for long periods with no problems. Jane

10. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Can I ask a rather silly question?

How are you securing the items in question to the side windows and rooflight?
    I am very interested in doing something similar, but a Transit conversion offers up some rather different problems.
    I'm thinking the strong version of Velcro as a starter for ten.............:Eek!:

11. pappajohn

you can buy the little plastic 'suckers' similar to those used by the makers of silverscreens etc.

these are £1.10 for 10 or £7 for 100 :thumb:

button sucker.

12. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

:thumb::thumb:

13. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Re: securing. With the roof ones as they are those beige rooflights with the mesh inner cover and sliding screen we just poke them up there (good fit) and reclose. With the ones we used to use in the sides we just slide between the windows and sliding screens / mesh. Edged with wide silver tape. Jane

14. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Screens are cut reasonably precisely so they are a snug fit in window cavity popping in behind blind guides, as can be seen from pictures cut outs go around window clamps.

We've been using them for last 5 nights and they really work helping keep heat loss down and virtually no condensation. Below freezing here tonight with Lochs frozen over, we are virtually on the shore of one such Loch as I write and all is snug and warm with heating turned down to a minimum (convector on EHU)

Pic 1, Screen with silver side facing
    Pic 2 Screen in position
    Pic 3 Blind half up

Hope this assists

Stewart

Attached Files:

15. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

That looks really good Stewart, Im off to get some for the RV to try and keep some heat in, I was going to use foam in the roof vents or do you think the foil will be as good.:thumb:

16. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Can recommend their use combined with external silver screens they kept us very snug with only the electric convector on as heating. Condensation eleminated.

We bought the material at Millets, see link (several funsters have pm'd me requesting where to buy)

http://www.millets.co.uk/product/096334/mm-trekker-mat-silver.html?attribute=3608678