Wind turbine for motorhome (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
I'm at Portishead Marina and there's a small yacht with a wind turbine. Why do people not have these on motorhomes (or do they?). It could fold down against the roof when not in use with a similar mechanism to a satellite dish. Would be useful for keeping batteries topped up in winter and at night.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I did come across a self conversion a good many years back that had one. It was noisy, seemed to vibrate the whole van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think the vibration through the MH 'box' could resound more than boat, where the water could have some deadening effect and boat owners complain about th see noise.

Of course one could put a brake on when in residence and just let it do its thing when away or sitting outside.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I looked at them years ago they looked like a good idea until you look at the specs in detail. In practice they give sod all output unless it's blowing gale force winds.

You can get a bit of output from them providing you mount them on a very long pole so they are in free air then all you need to do is park on top of the cliffs away from any shelter with a least a force 8 blowing.:xsmile:

Another argument for them is you get output at night when there is nothing from your solar, in real life 8/10 nights the wind drops at night.

IMO a total waste of time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I thought about a wind turbine some time ago but space to store something like the size of a Rutland Windcharger when not in use was a problem for us, so I bought and tried a new-to-market compact wind turbine a little over 3 years ago and it was a complete waste of time.

Here's a link to the thread for you to peruse. My wind turbine adventures start from post #10 of the thread.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...rbine-for-your-motorhome.193017/#post-3243880

I have just had a look at the GiGa turbine's current website and it looks like they decided to give it up as a bad job. (y)

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
OK for a boat out on the water whre breeze/wind is more constant but still
too noisy
too little output for MHs