Will we (our van) be allowed back into Schengen. (1 Viewer)

May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Can anyone offer advice from there experience/knowledge. We have just spent our first night in Romania, having crossed from Hungary last night at the Satu Mare crossing. We had no problems getting through customs (albeit the 'brexit' queue took at least two hours) but we were advised by the Romanian customs control officer (at the booth) that Hungary will not accept our photocopy V5 document on our return. We are not intending to return to Schengen Zone via Hungary, but intend to return to Greece (via a combination of Bulgaria and/or North Macedonia). The helpful Romanian Customs officer admitted he did not know the stance Greece would take but assured me that Hungary will accept nothing short of original V5 (which I do not have on me). From further questioning, he appeared to be unsure whether this was a Schengen thing or a Hungary thing.

So my question is, does anyone have experience/knowledge crossing from Bulgaria to Greece (or N. Macedonia to Greece) and whether or not, they require evidence of the V5 document ond if so does this have to be an original. I know its my mistake, I should have brought the original, but up until now, travelling within Schengen, we have never been asked for the V5. I did not think to swap the copy version for the original before leaving home.

We shall probably spend about 3 weeks in Romania so I do have time to get the original posted out but unfortunately, Romania does not offer a 'Poste Restante' service. Greece does but ideally we need the document prior to entering Greece, unless one of us crosses prematurely without the van. So, if anyone knows of a way to have the V5 sent to somewhere in Romania that we can collect from, that would be appreciated too. One option is a campsite but this may not be easy to arrange in advance given language barrier etc.

Any help with this conundrum would be appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Jenn

May 15, 2020
Ingleton, Carnforth, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7099F
Exp
Since 2020
Sorry I can't help as we always travel with an original V5.
I am interested in your route though, do you have a FB page or blog?
Good luck!

Oct 20, 2014
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 680 SL
Exp
Since 2014
Police station; travel agent; hotel - the latter two may speak English?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with 68c its simpler to get it posted to you.
I had to have the old EH11 posted to Bulgaria.

Original v5 is required in the EU by the police and most officials

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have always understood that the Schengen Agreement only pertains to the movement of people. While Bulgaria is not yet a Member of Schengen, but Greece is, you will probably be subject to a passport check, but as long as you are within the 90/180 day rule entry to Greece on UK passports should be no problem.

Since Bulgaria and Greece are EU countries there should be no restriction on the MH crossing, so acceptance of V5c or a copy should not arise.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Can anyone offer advice from there experience/knowledge. We have just spent our first night in Romania, having crossed from Hungary last night at the Satu Mare crossing. We had no problems getting through customs (albeit the 'brexit' queue took at least two hours) but we were advised by the Romanian customs control officer (at the booth) that Hungary will not accept our photocopy V5 document on our return. We are not intending to return to Schengen Zone via Hungary, but intend to return to Greece (via a combination of Bulgaria and/or North Macedonia). The helpful Romanian Customs officer admitted he did not know the stance Greece would take but assured me that Hungary will accept nothing short of original V5 (which I do not have on me). From further questioning, he appeared to be unsure whether this was a Schengen thing or a Hungary thing.

So my question is, does anyone have experience/knowledge crossing from Bulgaria to Greece (or N. Macedonia to Greece) and whether or not, they require evidence of the V5 document ond if so does this have to be an original. I know its my mistake, I should have brought the original, but up until now, travelling within Schengen, we have never been asked for the V5. I did not think to swap the copy version for the original before leaving home.

We shall probably spend about 3 weeks in Romania so I do have time to get the original posted out but unfortunately, Romania does not offer a 'Poste Restante' service. Greece does but ideally we need the document prior to entering Greece, unless one of us crosses prematurely without the van. So, if anyone knows of a way to have the V5 sent to somewhere in Romania that we can collect from, that would be appreciated too. One option is a campsite but this may not be easy to arrange in advance given language barrier etc.

Any help with this conundrum would be appreciated, many thanks in advance.

Jenn
I suggest you get it sent to a hotel or campsite
If its a hotel I suggest you book a night around the time it's due to arrive also make sure it's a hotel you can trust .they will when it arrives have your booking to match it to
I have often had items sent to hotels
But never a legally required document
I'd suggest FedEx or similar as they MAY be more reliable
Good luck (I'm struggling not to ask why didn't take it with you )

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I suspect it's nothing to do with Schengen but just a customs thing and was required before Schengen was formed. The reason is to show the vehicle is yours and isn't stolen and possibly going to be sold. A photocopy is too easy to fake.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Forget “post” and use a courier like fedex, UPS etc, not worth the risk

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Hungary/Roumania/Bulgaria/Greece borders all had a good long look at our documents.
We were surprised!
Roumania/Bulgaria had horrendous queues of hgvs
Difficult to get past on a normal road.
Lots of Roumanians we came across spoke very good English.

OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Sorry I can't help as we always travel with an original V5.
I am interested in your route though, do you have a FB page or blog?
Good luck!
Hi, sorry no FB or blog. Our route is Dunkerque, Kempen area in Belgium, short trip across Holland into Germany, Harz Mountains, Leipzig, Dresden (worth a visit), Czech Republic (Prague, very busy, various sandstone pinnacles national parks, again crowded), a few days in Poland, mainly to visit Krakow (very nice), into Slovakia, mainly for the High and Low Tatras (again quite busy), into Hungary, we only visited the far east (Zempleni area) as have been to the west/Budapest a few times previously. Now into Romania (for about three weeks, generally within Transyvania and the hilly bits. From there, we may go east and visit Moldova, then Bulgaria (western part), Serbia/n. Macedonia, into Greece for 3-4 weeks (mainly Pelonpenese). We have a ferry booked from Greece to Ancona in Italy (able to camp on board, and saves about 1000 miles, we paid ÂŁ254). Then across Italy through Tuscany and Piedmont area into France (Grenoble area) and head north from there, either back to Dieppe or Rotterdam. Just under 4 months, projected 7000 miles (including back to North of England). Only a brief outline but hope this helps.

OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
I suggest you get it sent to a hotel or campsite
If its a hotel I suggest you book a night around the time it's due to arrive also make sure it's a hotel you can trust .they will when it arrives have your booking to match it to
I have often had items sent to hotels
But never a legally required document
I'd suggest FedEx or similar as they MAY be more reliable
Good luck (I'm struggling not to ask why didn't take it with you )
Yes, an obvious question. I am generally very thorough and I keep the documents in the van with a front tick sheet, itemising which ones need to be refreshed each year. Before leaving home as I said in the post, I looked at the tick sheet, realised the V5 was packed (or a copy of it!) and did not think to put the original in the documents pack. My mistake, very silly and all that but I guess we all make mistakes, well most of us!

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Hi, sorry no FB or blog. Our route is Dunkerque, Kempen area in Belgium, short trip across Holland into Germany, Harz Mountains, Leipzig, Dresden (worth a visit), Czech Republic (Prague, very busy, various sandstone pinnacles national parks, again crowded), a few days in Poland, mainly to visit Krakow (very nice), into Slovakia, mainly for the High and Low Tatras (again quite busy), into Hungary, we only visited the far east (Zempleni area) as have been to the west/Budapest a few times previously. Now into Romania (for about three weeks, generally within Transyvania and the hilly bits. From there, we may go east and visit Moldova, then Bulgaria (western part), Serbia/n. Macedonia, into Greece for 3-4 weeks (mainly Pelonpenese). We have a ferry booked from Greece to Ancona in Italy (able to camp on board, and saves about 1000 miles, we paid ÂŁ254). Then across Italy through Tuscany and Piedmont area into France (Grenoble area) and head north from there, either back to Dieppe or Rotterdam. Just under 4 months, projected 7000 miles (including back to North of England). Only a brief outline but hope this helps.
Sounds wonderful

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Yes, an obvious question. I am generally very thorough and I keep the documents in the van with a front tick sheet, itemising which ones need to be refreshed each year. Before leaving home as I said in the post, I looked at the tick sheet, realised the V5 was packed (or a copy of it!) and did not think to put the original in the documents pack. My mistake, very silly and all that but I guess we all make mistakes, well most of us!
Oh dear easily done I keep all docs together in document bag , but never carry.it with me in the UK. Which is all well and good until I.need to know how something works :rofl:
Keep saying going to.put copies in the van , not done it yet.........
So do understand
A cost effusive way of booking hotel room could be pay on arrival through one of the booking sights cancel before certain time on the arrival day go in pick up your post and cancel room
Just a thought

OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Hungary/Roumania/Bulgaria/Greece borders all had a good long look at our documents.
We were surprised!
Roumania/Bulgaria had horrendous queues of hgvs
Difficult to get past on a normal road.
Lots of Roumanians we came across spoke very good English.
Yes, we were a little surprised at the time it took, probably nearer 3hrs by the time we got across, the queue was not particularly long (about 15 vehicles) but most were white Ukraine transit vans and Moldovan vans, all being searched. We had no issues (other than the essence of my post which was not really an issue anyway going into Romania) and it was all quite pleasant and relaxing. Vehicles in the EU lane were going through in a few minutes whereas the 'non EU' lane about 15 mins per vehicle. All good fun! Thanks for the reply

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Yes, we were a little surprised at the time it took, probably nearer 3hrs by the time we got across, the queue was not particularly long (about 15 vehicles) but most were white Ukraine transit vans and Moldovan vans, all being searched. We had no issues (other than the essence of my post which was not really an issue anyway going into Romania) and it was all quite pleasant and relaxing. Vehicles in the EU lane were going through in a few minutes whereas the 'non EU' lane about 15 mins per vehicle. All good fun! Thanks for the reply
Don't mention the B word

OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Oh dear easily done I keep all docs together in document bag , but never carry.it with me in the UK. Which is all well and good until I.need to know how something works :rofl:
Keep saying going to.put copies in the van , not done it yet.........
So do understand
A cost effusive way of booking hotel room could be pay on arrival through one of the booking sights cancel before certain time on the arrival day go in pick up your post and cancel room
Just a thought
...now there's a thought, thanks for your response. I know what you mean regarding the documents, I think I'm paying the price of being too efficient and getting things in hand (or so I thought!) too long before the trip. I didn't like carrying the original V5 with me for security reasons but I think I will in future. It's also easy to get too complacent because I've never been asked for it before, albeit that is in Schengen. I should have known better though and a bit annoyed with myself.

Feb 10, 2017
Newcastle-under-Lyme
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2014
If you need the original V5 document sending across to you, I’d suggest using the Poste Restante service and it be waiting at a suitable post office for your arrival. You will some proof of ID to collect the item but far easier than trying to sort any other way I think

OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
If you need the original V5 document sending across to you, I’d suggest using the Poste Restante service and it be waiting at a suitable post office for your arrival. You will some proof of ID to collect the item but far easier than trying to sort any other way I think
Yes, I've used poste restante many times in the past but it appears from a quick search that it does not exist in many countries, Romania/Bulgaria being two of them. It does in Greece but that's the 'wrong' side of the schengen zone, unless one of us goes across to collect it without the van. Thanks anyway

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
...now there's a thought, thanks for your response. I know what you mean regarding the documents, I think I'm paying the price of being too efficient and getting things in hand (or so I thought!) too long before the trip. I didn't like carrying the original V5 with me for security reasons but I think I will in future. It's also easy to get too complacent because I've never been asked for it before, albeit that is in Schengen. I should have known better though and a bit annoyed with myself.
It adds to the adventure and makes a good story around the camp fire 🔥 :wink:

I'd tell you about the time some forgot their passport and didn't say anything until we were returning at Calais. :rofl: we'd be in the EUROPE for 3 weeks and they weren't uk residents .but that's another tale

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Can't help re the V5, but your trip sounds like an excellent adventure. (y)

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Get yourself to a private camp site and have the V5 sent to that address marked as documents by DHL, signed on delivery.

We crossed from Ro to BG and then into GR May this year. All borders needed the V5. Once in Greece V5 goes in the document wallet. On Ro Hu and Bg border they put your V5 in the system and count the 90 days for temporary import. The vehicle is only allowed 90 days, then out.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I have always understood that the Schengen Agreement only pertains to the movement of people. While Bulgaria is not yet a Member of Schengen, but Greece is, you will probably be subject to a passport check, but as long as you are within the 90/180 day rule entry to Greece on UK passports should be no problem.

Since Bulgaria and Greece are EU countries there should be no restriction on the MH crossing, so acceptance of V5c or a copy should not arise.

I have quoted my own post because if I am correct then all the subsequent posts about how to get original documents are irrelevant.

If I am wrong I will accept that, but somebody will have to explain why.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I have quoted my own post because if I am correct then all the subsequent posts about how to get original documents are irrelevant.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019

Do you not carry your Polish vehicle registration with you when you travel?

I know for sure Ro and Hu law requires you to have the vehicle registration document with you, or they can seize the vehicle until you can produce one. This applies to all national and foreign vehicles. The fine is on the spot, and nationals can produce it to a local police station later with the ticket. Nobody drives without the vehicle registration, even in EU. Only us Brits.

OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Man
Get yourself to a private camp site and have the V5 sent to that address marked as documents by DHL, signed on delivery.

We crossed from Ro to BG and then into GR May this year. All borders needed the V5. Once in Greece V5 goes in the document wallet. On Ro Hu and Bg border they put your V5 in the system and count the 90 days for temporary import. The vehicle is only allowed 90 days, then out.
Many thanks, that was also my understanding. The only thing I was unsure about was whether or not Greece would accept a copy (rather than original) of V5 as indicated by the Romanian Customs Officer (albeit he was not certain). It is my intention to get the original sent out. Cheers.

OP
OP
J
May 21, 2021
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Do you not carry your Polish vehicle registration with you when you travel?

I know for sure Ro and Hu law requires you to have the vehicle registration document with you, or they can seize the vehicle until you can produce one. This applies to all national and foreign vehicles. The fine is on the spot, and nationals can produce it to a local police station later with the ticket. Nobody drives without the vehicle registration, even in EU. Only us Brits
Not sure what you mean by 'Polish' vehicle registration? I do carry the V5, unfortunately, it is not the original. The Romanian customs officer said it was fine to enter Ro on a copy certificate but Hungary does not. Ironically, all my other documents such as conformality certificate, insurance docs, proof of vehicle ownership (receipt) are all originals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back