will this effect 3.5+ motorhomes?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Steve, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

With the new regs. on trailers and this and what else to come, apart from more expense.
    Steve.
    ps
    to all those who like attacking posters with ' more facts please' this is a clipping from the horse & hound mag. and may be only of concern to horse box drivers but that would be discrimination so I guess it will be anyone?

Attached Files:

• Scan.jpg
      Scan.jpg
      File size:
      100.9 KB
      Views:
  2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I seem to recall this came up before on here? It only relates to goods vehicles not leisure vehicles. I think perhaps horse boxes will be classed as goods vehicles because they are used for transporting product rather than just being a leisure vehicle?

4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

A horsebox in France is food transport!:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 6
  5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Carry a motorcucle and you are a goods vehicle, its the thin end of the wedge and the beginning of the end.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xT59cIZdhk"]I'm A Free Born Man Of The Travelling People Liam Clancy 23 28 - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 2
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

You are still in vehicle designed to carry passengers, so I wouldn't have thought the French will be quite that pedantic.
    And if they are, visit Germany instead!:thumb:

7. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Now that makes a total mockery of the EU.

I have been a supporter of the EU ( in general though there are more and more specifics which are turning my opinion ) but this is probably one step too far

We now have to pay the french govt a tax on any goods that come through the country

Tell you what folks.. they stick the EU and specifically the french govt where the sun does not shine ( yesssss... I will admit I am a little miffed ( !!!!! ) right now )

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

PHGV, is the term applied to motorhomes GEO has posted in the past that carrying a motorcycle is in fact carrying goods as it is not something pusuant to the use and enjoyment within the motorhome, in fact strictly speaking tables and chairs are goods for use outside. Whilst there is the slightest doubt then there is room for legislation to fine you. Get it to court and lets get it defined once and for all:thumb::thumb::thumb: The DVLA have no idea what their rules mean and VOSA make it up as they go along how is Joe Bloggs supposed to know whats what. you will be saying "A" frames are legal next:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:. Sorry lads I'm bored.:RollEyes:

10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

A car boot full of your weekly shop is carrying goods. It doesn't make your car a van.

Yes I understand the MOT rules about 'living van' and 'motorhome', are the French going to search every vehicle on their roads?:Eeek:

We mustn't confuse MOT rules with taxation classes and with what the French define as a passenger carrying vehicle, exempt from their new tax.

Their website is very explicit on this point.

11. Phill D

Phill D

i believe you are correct this is the key. their web site and all its contacts are geared towards company owned HGV's and fleet vehicles.

12. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Good idea:thumb:
    Just need to find a way of getting to germany without going through france that won't cost more than the tax.

13. stcyr

stcyr Funster

Goods vehicle = vehicle carrying goods 'for reward', NOT vehicles carrying equipment for personal use/pleasure/leisure etc.

Today we used the MH to carry a staircase, a heater, a 100m roll of electric cable, 14 bottles of wine, 3 bags of food/sundries, a large bundle of willow whips, 2 bicycles, a goose and various other things. This does not make it a goods vehicle as we were not being paid to transport them.

:Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

its road pricing it will be here soon, if anyone realy belives all the average speed cameras that have been installed are for safety think again

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

whether paid or not, your stuff or not, your load means you are carrying goods or burden in the eyes of the law.

anything not immediately condusive to the vehicles purpose...ie: camping...becomes carried goods....including a bike on a rack.

in reality....who gives a ####....certainly not 99% of those who do carry stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Phill D

Phill D

this was published yesterday in ITS international.com

14 November 2013

How does France’s HGV eco-tax suspension affect RUC professionals?

First publishedon www.ITSInternational.com

Following violent protests from HGV drivers in France, the country's planned introduction of their distance-based eco-tax scheme has now been suspended. French Finance Minister Pierre Moscovici has announced plans to renegotiate the contract concluded with Italian-led consortium Ecomouv, charged with implementing the country's controversial heavy goods vehicle (HGV) eco-tax, to minimise the cost of the levy for taxpayers in France.

He emphasised that although the HGV tax has indeed been suspended in the wake of ongoing violent demonstrations in Brittany, the intention is still that the levy will be introduced.

everything i have read on this topic refers completely to Haulage vehicles only.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

the UK's haulage industry could learn from the French......we pussy-foot with a few trucks holding up traffic as a protest...the French completely block all major routes bringing the country to a halt.

in this instance violent action, what the hell...it worked didnt it and got the scheme suspended.
    you can read that as cancelled..

• Like Like x 2