Wildcamping in your motorhome

Discussion in 'Wild Camping' started by Jim, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

As many of you know I enjoy wildcamping, I have written a beginners guide to wild camping for our magazine. Its not the definitive article but covers most aspects. Please feel free to discuss that wildcamping article here. Thanks. Beginners Guide to Wild camping

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 22
  2. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Thanks Jim,a supurb article telling me a lot of what I already knew as well as confirming practices I believed to be right but had not read anywhere until now.

I particularly liked the reference to the rucksack, :Rofl1: Iam not sure I am yet that brave, and I had never thought of burying it but I too remember, now you have reminded me, of the dug latrines of scout camps too many years ago to remember.
    I will have to invest in a good spade for my motorhome.

I must admit there is something adveturous about wildcamping that is lost when on a campsite.

Nice to know my photo was of some use serving as a reminder how much I am missing having soe time off and decent weather to go off again.

Norman and Sue

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

It's an excellent article.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  4. bryandh

bryandh Funster

Good read, excellent advice....many thanks.

Regards, Bryan

• Like Like x 1
  5. Drew

Drew Funster

Good read and excellent advice, we haven't had a go at wilding yet but your advice has made it a little less daunting. Particular interesting about disposal of black waste, as we don't use chemicals I wasn't too worried about burying if needed but had wondered about using public loos, also good point about carrying a spare cassette. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rayb182

Rayb182 Funster Life Member

Good bit of advice, well done Jim and thanks for using our photo of Loch Leven, one of our favourite spots.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

well, that's that place bolloxed .. :Laughing:

good article Jim.. spot on

I would love to see the members reserve the term "wild camping" for it's true meaning.

(ie.. not for any place that they can park up for free..)

• Like Like x 4
  8. otis the staffy

otis the staffy Read Only Funster

Scotjimland support what you say thats why we tend to use the term Free Camping when not really wild.:thumb:StaySafe

• Like Like x 2
  9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

A very good article that I agree with 100%. As a confirmed wilder the article lays down all the golden rules that experienced wilders know and adhere to and those contemplating wilding will now have a better idea of the basics that we do as second nature. By the way thanks for using the photo.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Very good article Jim.

You could consider a shopping trolley for the cassette trip to the public loos in place of the rucksack.

Also, RADAR keys are readily available through Fleabay.

That way there'll be no-one in the next cubicle listening to 'the plop' and there'll be a sink to help with hygene and cleaning up any spills.

June

• Like Like x 1
  11. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

As newbies we hadn't had a go at wilding in case we were committing some sort of offence. In fact the only time that we have really been near to it was just after we got the MH. I had to go to Harwich one weekend and we parked down on the front close to Old Harwich with a "view" straight across to Felixstowe docks. There was us and one other van there, looked like a self build, and we panicked all night. We were up and gone by 8am !

Having used the MH properly since then we now know a few of our limiting factors. Only one habitation battery ( now have a gennie), fresh water tank too small (looking at getting bigger one fitted + bigger grey waste) and not carrying enough food.

Your article has taught us a lot and we feel a lot more confident about wilding.

As an HGV driver I have had the dreaded knock on the door in the middle of the night. "But officer I have to deliver here at 7am" made little differance. I have had people knocking on the door looking for other things, but that is another matter !!!!!! :Blush:

• Like Like x 2
  12. bryandh

bryandh Funster

The article points out the does and don't's regarding wild camping and I suggest that mis-use of the RADAR KEY SYSTEM must surely be a major DON'T such keys being for the exclusive use of those with a disability and needing to use such facilities. Plenty of other options available for Black waste disposal. Oh, and hope I am not the next to use your shopping trolley

Regards, Bryan

• Like Like x 2
  13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I think he meant one of those little trolleys you pull behind you. Not the Tesco jobby:BigGrin:

14. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

Correct about the shopping trolley.

We bought one just for the cassette and it doesnt get used for anything else.

I dont advocate mis-use of the RADAR key scheme, however, if the toilet is free and we leave everything smelling fresh and clean, are we really causing harm?

June

15. Snowbird

Have put some photos in an album titled "Off Grid Camping" This is what my idea of wilding is all about. In my opinion its not a case of saving money or being a freeloader. I personal don't like campsites and the regimental regime that goes with them. If ever the day comes that I cant travel,then I would consider a caravan and perhaps stay on campsites but whilst am still able to travel I will use my MH as it was designed,as a camper. I also don't use motorways,not because am a tightwad but because one motorway is much the same as another anywhere in the world. I have always advocated the responsible use of wild camping spots and will continue to do the same. When I say wild camping I don't mean Tesco carparks,Industrial estates,back street alleyways etc. I mean wilding in the wild. I also don't use generators as I have invested money in alternative energy so that I can wild. Whats the point of sitting in the wilderness listening to the waves from the ocean or the birdsong with a generator running in the background....Heaven forbid and God help the idiot that parks next me with one.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Dave, some good points. I have just added this paragraph to the article.

Wildcamping is not about saving money, it is about parking up in quiet locations that for a night or two you can enjoy and call your own. In my opinion some confuse wild camping with the free camping. There are legions of people who proudly boast they never, ever, pay to camp, they will park anywhere, if they have a nice location its a bonus, but if its tucked around the back of the cement works, as long as they are not paying, that's good. The difference between me and them is that I would pay to camp on a nice isolated bit of headland. I don't wildcamp to save money, I wildcamp because I like camping in nice isolated places on my own.

17. JJ

JJ Funster

• Like Like x 1
  18. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

• Like Like x 1
  19. Snowbird

In most cases the only neighbours that I have with me whilst wilding are the ones I chose to bring with me. Otherwise I may as well be on a campsite.

20. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I would certainly agree with that Snowbird, but as this is only a small country it must happen now and again.

Hopefully everyone could agree to not disturb each other.
    I would certainly be looking to park as far away as possible in the case of two MHs in the same area. Even to the point of looking for somewhere else if I was second on the scene. :thumb: