Wild spots Falmouth to Hastings

Discussion in 'England' started by barryd, Sep 26, 2010.

1. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Ok you lot. So we are meandering our way around Britains quite frankly lovely coast. Since leaving the North we have done the Forest of Dean, North Devon, north and west cornwall and are currently on a cracking CL between Falmouth and St Mawes.

Our intention is to carry on along the south coast and try and see some of the places we missed or couldnt get to on our Christmas visit.

Plenty of CL's to be had and we usually just ring up on the day or a day ahead but we are yearning to find that perfect wild camping spot. I know they are easy to find up north and in Scotland but you must have em down here. In January we tried to get to Rame Head near Plymouth where I had heard there is a wild spot but the snow, ice and frankly very narrow roads and a stroppy sat nav made it impossible. Anyone know if you can wild there and a safe route to get to it?

Would anyone be willing to share their favourite wild spots along this route? Please PM me if you dont wish them to be broadcast.

Ideally we want somewhere in the middle of knowhere so dont really want car parks in towns etc. Something on a headland or by a lake where we wont disturb too many people (and we wont get disturbed!) to much.

I know its a big ask but there must be a few tucked away!

Im trying to search on my own but my connection speed is hopeless.

Cheers
    Barry

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Barry we have wild camped lots of times all along the coast there on our yearly trips down to the Lizard and Kynance Cove, but it was a few years ago now. The details will be in our journals though, so if you get really stuck we will be able to dig them out and help with a few spots.

However at this time of year all along the coast you find that there are tons of places to wild camp, if you look and "get your eye in" you'll be literally spoiled for choice, our favourites in the off season by the coast were always to look for the "View Signs" on OS maps, lots of these have small carparks well off the road and we would park up there, impossible in August but in September and October these places are often deserted. Have a nice trip:thumb:

3. barryd

barryd Read Only Funster

Thanks Jim

Only have a rubbish AA atlas but will start looking a bit harder. The CL's have been great and really cheap (£3.50 one of them and stunning) but it would be great to find somewhere on a cliff top or something.

Problem with Cornwall and Devon is that roads very quickly become goat tracks so I have been reluctant to explore off the beaten track too much which is also lazy as we have a flipping motorbike.

4. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

A few years ago we found a nice place (wild) in the New Forest outside Beulieu, next to a couple of ponds.

PM me if you want details

• Like Like x 1