Wild life ...in the snow

Discussion in 'Nature & Wildlife' started by yodeli, Feb 6, 2012.

1. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

I really love to have a walk when it has been snowing a lot. When I woke up this morning everything was covered in snow. It was sunny, a bit windy, but very very peaceful so in the afternoon I decided I would have a long walk around the stadium...see how nature had coped with this unuasual cold. Here are a few pics ...

I found a lot of Hares footprints:

You have the wise one , who stays still.... till he made up his mind .... why use energy by being multitasking?:Doh: Then you have the one who never can make up his mind and needs to turn round to find his way... and the one who just goes on without thinking even a second:RollEyes:

The last one was a bit of a puzzling one ..... The foot prints are here , right in the middle of a virgin snow, all fresh ... no snow at all has fallen in the mean time ... although ....where has he gone? nothing around at all ?? I though may be a big wild bird has taken it away through the air , but ... no mess around so ... ??? where do you think he has gone? (Please JJ don't answer this one , you can't do magic from that far away ... iam not that daft:RollEyes:!!)

More pics to come ....

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

That 4th picture is very spooky, Frankie.

3. JJ

JJ Funster

It is obviously a crop circle rabbit...:Rofl1:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

The 4th picture, I think you should ask a magican about that one, a bit strange. :Smile:

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Obviously a 5 metre tall hare practising to represent France in the triple jump at the Olympics. The single footprint was made on landing between the hop and skip stages :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  6. yodeli

I found as well something I had never seen before ..... The marks of a bird wings. When the birds open their wings i guess the end of the feathers touch the ground , see these must be a crow' wing's print.... next pic is the other side.

Of course there was as well bird's foot prints !

And who is trying to test the temperature? Missus Mole is out obviously for a little walk too .... underneath my feet:Laughing:

Oh ... and ....errr ..... would you believe it?...I found a very small animal with big footprints ...Look......: A frog footprints messing about in the imaculate snow:Eeek: tsssss:Blush:

Frankie

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

The feathers might possibly be tail feathers dragging.

Do you have Pheasants in your area? We have these trails in the snow with us.

8. yodeli

Here are a bird footprints (BTW ... do you say footprint for a bird as well?? or for animasl in general, even ???)
    Next pic has been taken at he bottom of the stadium, next to the "périférique" (4 lanes), and the following one , stadium limit from the other side.

Next to the stadium is a funny strange little house , surounded by green fences... here are the municipal hives... , no bees to be seen ... they all ZZZZZZZZZZ sleep:Eeek: far too old outside :BigGrin:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. yodeli

Yes I have seen a few but not in winter , only in spring and summer

10. Drew

Drew Funster

Lovely pictures, can't fathom the disappearing hare though :Eeek:
    Last year when the snow finally started to melt there were lots of lines in the snow where the grass was showing through (difficult to describe and I didn't take any photos:Doh:), they were the tunnels of moles that had come up to the surface, but still under the snow, and dug tunnels. When the snow started to melt these tunnels left amazing patterns in the snow.

• Like Like x 1
  11. tofo

tofo Funster

Could it be an ouzlam hare

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oozlum_bird. :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  12. blamehofman

blamehofman Read Only Funster

Lovely pictures and one very puzzling one , but they do say hare today gone tomorrow ......... I saw something strange today too in the ice . The River Wansbeck flows past the back of our house and has a thin covering of ice in places where the water is deeper and flowing very slow , a large crow swooped down and landed on the ice ..... Obviously a crow is not a water bird so how did it know it was safe to do this when it would never go in the water otherwise .

• Like Like x 1
  13. yodeli

May be from the air , birds have a magnifyed sight when it is icy on the surface and then know they can then land on it ???
    Or ..... His mum told him when he was a small birdy... will you please stop playing in the water , unless it is icy :Blush::Blush: (sorry ... end of the day.... crap joke:BigGrin:)

Amicalement

Frankie:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 2
  14. yodeli

Right now there are 2 baby hares playing in the snow in front of me( i can see them through my bedroom window of course!) ! They are jumping again and again and chasing each other !!:BigGrin: Sooooo cute ! the moon is nearly full and so with the snow reflecting the light one can see very well outside !!!

Love it :Smile:

Frankie:Smile: