Wild camping south west

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by baker6609, Jul 12, 2016.

1. baker6609

baker6609 Read Only Funster

Thank you all for the welcome to the site.
    Would like to attempt wild camping in the south west, loving Dartmoor for the glorious views and the south for the sun shine. Any ideas of overnight spots, good and bad experiences? Loved to hear from you all!

2. The Old Man

The Old Man Funster

No suggestions I'm afraid.

My experience is that much of Devon and Cornwall is covered by local By Laws that prevent overnight camping.

In many ways it is understandable when you observe the number of camper vans being driven round by surfers and otheryounger sports enthusiasts.

The only place I've wild camped undisturbed has been on some of the minor roads over Exmoor.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

See Here - "Although it is convenient to pull into a layby to admire the view and have a cup of tea, overnight sleeping in vehicles at the roadside, or in car parks is not permitted under National Park byelaw No 6."

4. GWG

GWG Funster

South Devon very unfriendly for Wild Camping, as so many Campsites that want £30+ per night make a big lobby group on the Council. Especially Torbay. Well known spot is above Battery Gardens in Brixham, but very popular so you lucky to get a spot. Paignton Seafront is £2.50 from 17.00 to 08.00 but camping not allowed so you sleep sitting up with a cuppa in your hand
    Most side roads have vans "parked" but you you will get a knock if residents report you sleeping.
    Most car parks on Dartmoor are patrolled by the Rangers, so you will get knocked in the night.
    Good luck, if you find any gems, keep us posted, although I suspect most Wild Campers keep their favourites secret.

5. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Funster

Wild camping is allowed on Dartmoor, but only in tents.

You could always pull in with the trucks in a layby on the A30, that's probably the best you can get.

6. Speve

Speve Funster

You could try Wildcamping .co.uk get the app and that will tell you what's around including standpipes and pub stops

7. roadster55

roadster55 Funster

If you've got a small van conversion it's a lot easier to wild camp TBH. Check out English heritage car parks at castles or other attractions for example, or try common land car parks on the high moors. Stay away from car parks near towns.

8. eleanor rigby

eleanor rigby Funster

We stopped at five wyches farm between haytor and bovey tracey. Rural, long drop loo, outside showers and a couple of weeks ago only £12 a night. Not quite wild camping but safe and within easy wAlking distance of some spectacular scenery.

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Just get the ferry from Plymouth to Roscoff. You don't need to wild camp in France, plenty of aires. That's what we do! :)

10. Abacist

Abacist Funster

I cross Dartmoor regularly from Ashburton across towards Tavistock and I regularly see the odd motorhome obviously intending to wild overnight. Whether they succeed or not I don't know but it is against the bylaws and there are plenty of rangers about to enforce them and to protect the national park, its animals and environment. Frankly Dartmoor would be spoilt if wilding were allowed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1