Wild Camping in the New Forest

Discussion in 'England' started by Susana53, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Susana53

Susana53 Deleted User

Hello everyone,
    I am new to this website and wanted to ask your advice. Can anyone tell me what the rules are for overnight parking in the New Forest please?

2. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Hi Susana

Welcome to MHFun

As far as I know, wildcamping is not allowed in the New Forest. There are several campsites available, but if you are not on one of them I am pretty sure that you will soon be moved on by the local police or Forest Rangers.

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Doubt you'll get away with it but there are some super forestry sites available.

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

This is correct

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Forestry Commission do not allow MH camping in their forests, apart from on recognised sites. See Here for details of their response specific to the New Forest.

Graham

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  6. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Especially now it is a National Park

Regards Pat:Sad:

7. dshague

dshague Funster

you will only wild camp in forest if you have a transit van with a caravan on tow and do plastic guttering on the side :Rofl1:

8. Susana53

Susana53 Deleted User

Thanks to all the above for answering my question. It's good to know these things as we're going to the New Forest this weekend and have now booked into one of the sites.

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

It's been a while though - two and half years since it's full powers started.

What's sad about a national park for all to enjoy?

Graham

10. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Hi Graham

We live here on the edge of the National Park but are still classed as being in it, being made a National Park has made our planning laws so much more stricter than before and a lot more paperwork to get even simple things done, the New Forest was always available for people to enjoy and so they should, but there is uproar here at present as they are now trying to greatly restrict use of the Forest for horsesriding and the walking of dogs among other things.

Regards Pat

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Hello Pat,

I appreciate that planning laws within national parks are stricter. I used to work for a Local Authority whose area was partly within the North York Moors National Park so came across the effect of them from time to time.

It's basically all down to a public interest test which tries to serve the best interests of the public at large - and, as always in such cases, some people lose privileges which they are used to. The best example, I suppose, comes from the first (Peak District) national park where private landowners lost the privilege of keeping the population at large off their land.

It's an unfortunate fact that the ways in which some horse and dog owners (and some MH owners) "enjoy" facilities is detrimental to the ability of other people (including horse/dog/MH owners) to enjoy those facilities and, as such, needs controlling.

Graham

12. Paula

Paula Read Only Funster

love it :BigGrin:

13. JJ

JJ Funster

I was refused entry to the Setthorns site (which I and members of my family have visited for nearly thirty years) because my Iveco had no windows. They had let me stay there in the same vehicle the previous year but not now. We were gathering there as a family for a very sad reason but no... rules were rules.

I was so cross I parked on a layby adjacent to the site and walked in to visit. Stayed two days... no trouble (and no charge!)

Later in the year I visited the same site again with my newly acquired classic Hymer. No problem but I was surprised to see a windowless van on the next door pitch. It was allowed on because they had a tent...

Next time the Iveco goes on with a tent... they tell me this is fine providing I sleep in the tent not the van...

I ask you... what is the sense of it all? (Please don't give me the "They think you are a gypsy" reasoning. :)

14. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

It's an unfortunate fact that the ways in which some horse and dog owners (and some MH owners) "enjoy" facilities is detrimental to the ability of other people (including horse/dog/MH owners) to enjoy those facilities and, as such, needs controlling.

Graham

I can see no circumstances when this has ever happened.

Since the C&CC took over the Forest sites they are now charging £1 a night for dogs, why? Is it that the powers that be think visiting dogs are fouling the forest? If so then why aren't the cow, pony, pig and chicken owner's also being charged per head of animal?
    The main detrimental effects appear to be extended families 'picnicing' at weekends. Treating the forest as a city play park and leaving their detritious laying around when they depart.

In answer to the original question..."parking in the New Forest overnight, except in designated areas (official campsites) is not allowed.
    However, arrive after dark, park discretely, move off early, no problem. Loads of truckers do it all the time.

15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Sorry if you don't like my response but that sort of action has resulted in all motorhome parking being banned in some places.

By all means let us try constructively to show councils/others that there are benefits to providing facilities - but don't give them ammunition to back up claims that motorhome owners think they have a right to ignore restrictions just because they don't like them.

Graham

16. david1234

david1234 Deleted User

Since the C&CC took over the Forest sites they are now charging £1 a night for dogs,

since the c&cc have taken over hollands wood we dont go there? why because its now double the price it used to be.

so i never renewed my membership to c&cc or cc club.

what most people dont get with these clubs is they buy alot of sites up with your membership money then charge more for the use of the them.

same with national trust dont join any of them just dont use them.:Doh:

17. BuzzLand

BuzzLand Deleted User

Why should a government decide where it's citizens can and can't sleep at night? That's why.

It's like we're having to pay to live and sleep in our own vehicles (already paid for with tax, mot and insurance) because the government wants us to all be funnelled into expensive b and b's/hotel car parks or campsites which are out to make money.
    So for me the whole national park is more of a restricted park in my eyes. 'Yes you can come and stay, but you can't do a thing outside of what we say.'
    So really I take a freeman on the land stance on this whole 'national park issue'; I'll park where I like and you can sod off :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

This year is the 60th anniversary of the first national park - created well before the advent of widespread motorhome use and to protect the area for all to enjoy. Of course there are restrictions in national parks, they are there to enable the protection of the area.

What is wrong with businesses making money? Do you not do your job to make money? As for tax, MoT & insurance, they have nothing at all to do with the subject.

Several people have had that "freeman of the land" attitude in a number of places with the result that motorhomes have been banned not just overnight but also during the day.

The constructive stance is to provide evidence to local authorities of the benefits of providing facilities for motorhomes.

Graham

• Like Like x 2
  19. BuzzLand

BuzzLand Deleted User

I'm all for people making moeny, but not at the skewed angle that's being put on people by basically rail-roading them into it.
    The money we pay into our vehicles has everything to do with it mate.
    Why should someone who has put a small fortune into their machine suddenly have to pay out again for the privilage to sleep in it?

So again I say the national forest is con job. You can go in but not actually sleep and enjoy the land in it's raw form that we've been born in.
    You seem to favour an over-regulated nanny-state while some of us actually believe in small government which keeps out of our affairs. Thank god some of us our left to speak reason.

20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Because as well as individual rights we all have a responsibility to each other. If we were all to selfishly take what we want, just because we wanted it and whatever the detriment to others, then we would have anarchy.

That's not over regulation, it's basic consideration for other people.

Graham