Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi All,
Taking my first trip Sept 1st, to the Scotish highlands, I will need to take a stop over somewhere around Kendal,
Does anyone know of a nice spot I can head for in the general vicinity???
Steph.

Feb 17, 2009
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2006
There's a campsite attached to the services just before Penrith (Westmorland services) that we've used before, which is very handy although I can't remember the cost (think it was about £12 with hookup) and the breakfast in the services there are excellent.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
There's a campsite attached to the services just before Penrith (Westmorland services) that we've used before, which is very handy although I can't remember the cost (think it was about £12 with hookup) and the breakfast in the services there are excellent.
£23 per night till November...inc ehu. According to their website .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I have been told that if you come off M6 at Tebay and head back on road to Kendal there are a couple of quiet laybys there

But I would make an earlier start get yourself to Scotland, they actually encourage parking in some town centres

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
You can stay in Ambleside cheap here.
Telephone a mobile number on the gate at the end of the car park.

upload_2016-8-15_22-57-6.png

Or here where we wild camped, by the river and a quite road.(centre of picture B528)

upload_2016-8-15_22-58-51.png

Reactions: f6c

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Right this might sound a bit long winded , but stick with it & I might be able to help. Come off the M6 junction 36 at the Kendal turn off heading onto the A590. At the roundabout where the A591 begins turn left, follow the signs for the A590. Then just a short distance along & before the dual carriageway begins you want to turn right (onto minor road) which I believe is called Nannypie Lane. On this lane you'll find a large lay by on the left hand side. Its far enough back from the road to be fairly quiet. There are quite a few quiet lanes along this road if the lay by doesn't suit you. I've bunked down there for the night with no problems & its only 10mins from Kendal.

Last edited:

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
You could always go a little further and come of the M6 at Shap, there are several places in sight of the motorway that you can bunk down for a night. I am currently overnighting on a forestry commission road on the way to Keswick but this would be too far off your route to be viable. Fantastic views though!

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
It seems the council tried and it is smaller but still room for 10-15 vans.
Looking at the red marker, have you actually stayed there as it's in a different place to the original aire?

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We drove through Ambleside a couple of weeks ago and although we didn't stop and check, it looked as if the old aire next to the car park was still up and running of a fashion. I saw a notice on the entrance gate with a phone number to contact and a "friend of a friend" had apparently used it last month. Don't know how they've got round the issues with the LDPB, but I think the rugby club may be involved with the site now ?
If it is where the arrow shows, it will be handy for the crazy golf (y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It seems the council tried and it is smaller but still room for 10-15 vans.
"The council" (neither Cumbria CC nor South Lakeland DC) didn't try anything. Lakes Parish Council was the original body which complained to the Lake District National Park Authority which then took action to prevent the use of Miller Field for camping in the absence of planning consent (which the land owner knew he would never receive).

The rugby club allows rallies on its land but that is outside the requirement for planning consent (as it would be for any other nearby parcel of land).

However, if somebody is allowing land not covered by the enforcement notice to be used for camping without such consent it is likely to go the same way sooner or later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back