Wiind Out Awning?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by leeboy, Aug 11, 2014.

1. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    anyone fitted their own Fiamma or Omnistor wind out awning? if so what do I need to look out for, do I need spread plates on the inside wall or will washers be ok? It's on a Chausson flash 10 and I've contacted them at Chausson but had no reply. Do you think the side walls will be strong enough, each bracket (held on by 2 x 6mm bolts) will be holding 8Kg each.
    Thanks in advance.
    Lee.

2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

u will defo need a spread plate but i reckon u r best getting it fitted then u have somewhere to go back to if there is a problem try john cross they will do a fun discount

3. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Yes I've fitted 3 in my time and as said above you'll need spread plates , you can buy the proper firings from fiamma

There's a good bit of weight in one so I'd advise using the proper gear but it isn't difficult to do

You may need a couple of fit mates to lend a hand though

4. Adam b

Adam b Read Only Funster

I fitted mine on a chausson flash 510, no problem you will just need a help to lift the awning once you have fitted the brackets all the bolts & plates come in the box.

5. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

You will need to use spreader plates (ie the normal Fiamma fixings) and also some spacers which are the depths of the wall so that you don't squash it when tightening the awning plates on, you'd be surprised how FEW bolts some fitters put on when fitting massive awnings ... it's frightening!

It might be worth having a shuftie at any Chaussons you can with awnings already fitted so you can see how it's done and where on the wall an awning is put, especially the height above the door, and where the fittings themselves are placed. I've had a look at some photos on the web of your MH and there doesn't appear to be anything that would prevent you getting access to the inside wall to fit it.

6. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Out of interest Adam, what width awning did you fit?
    Thanks,
    Lee.

7. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Hi Minx,
    went to Lowdhams yesterday to have a look but they had none in. The only issue I could see in mine was where the drop down bed is as it is boxed in, however after removing several screws it gave access to the side wall. Just not sure if it will take the 3 metre or the 2.65 metre.

Thanks,
    Lee.

8. Adam b

Adam b Read Only Funster

fitted the 2.65 omnistor got it from john cross great price with funster discount

• Like Like x 1
  9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

10. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Hi Adam,
    would you mind telling me how far below the roof trim yours is fitted and if you installed the drip stop?
    Thanks,
    Lee

11. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

12. Adam b

Adam b Read Only Funster

I positioned it so as two of the brackets are inside where the bed is boxed in & the third in the wardrobe. Hope this helps.
    Adam

13. Adam b

Adam b Read Only Funster

Getting my awnings mixed up it was a fiamma

14. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Thanks Adam, hope you are as happy with your 510 as I am with my best of 10, I've just installed under bench air conditioning and a scooter rack to mine along with twin reversing cameras, one acts as a rear view mirror and I can swap to the other for reversing or for keeping an eye on the scooter whilst driving.
    Regards,
    Lee.

15. Geordies

Geordies Funster

We got one fitted on our bestof10 from new, it's away getting cameras fitted right now, but should have it back Thursday. Can answer any questions you have then.

16. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Thanks Geordies,
    fitted reversing cameras and was very time consuming. Ditto your last sentence, If I can be of any assistance regarding scooter rack or air conditioning please feel to PM me.
    Regards,
    Lee.
    P.S what width is your awning?

17. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Can't remember width of the awning, I'll measure it when it comes back, it looks right tho. I could have fitted the camera myself, but like the awning, I took the view that anything which involves going thro the outer skin I will take back to the place of purchase. Just in case a few years down the line there is water ingress and they try and say it was because of anything I had done.

18. Geordies

Geordies Funster

The awning is a Fiamma F45, @ 2.6m long. Seems to have 4 mounting bolts, one in bathroom cupboard, one above where the grill is (was, taken it out tonight, neither use nor ornament), and presumably the other two behind the woodwork at the top of the wall. Hopefully the attached photos will give more info. Any questions just post on here or pm me. P8140496.JPG P8140498.JPG P8140499.JPG

19. The Wino

The Wino Funster

Had one fitted to our best of 10 will try and remember to check fittings tomorrow

David

20. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Hi Geordies,
    thanks for the photos, very useful. I've ordered the same from John Cross. I removed my grill and replaced it with a microwave/grill, also partially covered the vent as the wind howls through there when blowing in the wrong direction.
    Regards,
    Lee.