Wifi hotspot for motorhome (iBoost?)

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by peterc10, Dec 27, 2013.

1. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

I am looking at improving my ability to pick up wifi in my motorhome when touring in the UK and Europe. I have an Android Tablet and phone and my wife has an ipad and iphone. I need to get regular wifi because I run an email based helpline. I would like to try to pick up and use local wifi systems, preferably free (McDonalds, campsite bar, etc), but paying for them if need be occasionally. I like the idea of the iBoost system but have several questions.

I like the convenience of the omnidirectional system, but what are others experiences of using this aerial - is it powerful enough or does it struggle when compared with the directional aerial?

I want to sucker mount my aerial on the roof of the motorhome, which is easy for me via a convenient roof light. However all the photos I see show it mounted on the wall. Can the mounts be used on a horizontal surface and still hold the aerial vertically please?

I notice that Jim is selling a similar system (aerial and wifi transmitter) which appears to be a lot cheaper. With the i Boost I like the idea that it appears as one connection to the host wifi, which would enable us to only pay once for wifi but both be able to use the system. Does Jim's ones work in the same way or is it a simple repeater? How easy is Jim's to set up? I downloaded and read the instructions (from the manufacturer, Solwise) and became totally confused by them. Can Jim's aerial by mounted on the roof?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ukbill

ukbill Funster

http://www.faculty-x.net/motorhome omni directional kit.htm

this is what we have and its great so long as u have a usb port for the connection
    i have used it all over the place but always beware if u have a site which has very strong wifi then dont use it or u will overpower the wifi and not be able to connect

3. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Thanks but unfortunately having tablets and phones means we cannot use USB direct. We would have to plug this into a wifi repeater, like the one that they advertise at the bottom of the page. And that would end up with a system that is similar to the one that Jim sells.

Can the aerial be mounted onto a horizontal surface?

4. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

A directional antenna will be much better.

If you have a directional and an omni, both the same power, the omni has to spread its search field over 360 degrees. The directional spreads it over say 30 degrees making it 12 times as powerful (and less likely to get interference).

When I was searching for a system I wanted the omni as well for convenience, but had to go for directional for reliability in the end.

Shouldn't be a problem sticking the mount to a roof, the sucker on mine can turn all over the place (although I've now taken the sucker off and pole mounted the antenna).

Can't comment on either of the systems you have asked about as I haven't used them. The iBoost gets great reviews though.

Edit - Ref the free WiFi, do you have BT Broadband at home? If so you can use the FON network all over Europe (I think) FOC.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. ukbill

ukbill Funster

yes large suction pads and holds great onto side of mh i use it on sites with wifi but if not i normally use my mifi

• Like Like x 1
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I love my iBoost. best money I have spent in a while.

• Like Like x 2
  7. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

But I don't want it on the side - I want to put it on the roof. And the mount system shown on the photo you link to does not appear to lift the aerial high enough to get the base of it above the roof.

8. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Do you have the omnidirectional or directional aerial please?

9. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yes I have heard about Fon, and it looks good. But no I don't have BT at home, and I am not planning to if their customer services can't even answer a few simple questions I have asked them!

You used to be able to buy the Fon router separately and attach it to your existing home router, and join their network. But I can't seem to find it in the UK any more. Has anybody got a link to where I can buy one please?

10. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Another iboost fan here.

Being a BT customer has it's advantages if you are touring in the UK.

11. Wissel

Wissel Read Only Funster

https://shop.fon.com/en/products/all

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I am now fluent in Indian goodness gracious me English.

They are very polite but it's such hard work understanding them.

They've currently lost our phone number during the change from TalkTalk. We have a phone with a random number.

But their broadband is working OK.

I'm pretty sure folk on here say they can't find FON in mainland EU.

13. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

I have the one Jim is selling , I have been using it with my van for a couple of years now ( I bought of eBay ) do a search on here for Alfa r36, mine works very well with the Ariel I use and connects to my tablet and the wife's laptop with no problem

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

15. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Directional. The omni in next to useless and I got rid of it.

16. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Thanks that answers one question!! Can the directional aerial be mounted on a roof please? Photo only show it on wall but the sucker arm appears to be long enough to stand the aerial above the mounting point.

17. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

I have tried them all and now have the iBoost system and it is by far the best system. Buy it and you will not be disappointed.

18. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

aha but you enter Spain, hee hee. There is a post someplace to explain buying and setting it up.:thumb:

19. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

But it then asks for a Spanish post code, which I do not have, and will not move on until I fill it in. Do you have a link for the post please - I have tried searching this forum for Fon and got no results.

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Are you using directional or omnidirectional aerial please?