Wifi booster

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Stonemags76, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

Have just bought the iBoost wifi booster from

www.motorhomewifi.com

And can't say how pleased I am with it! It's not cheap at about £160, but it works brilliantly! We are on Marjal at Guardamar, and the wifi signal is dire, but this booster has made as quick as broadband! I had trouble ordering online - due to the rubbish signal - and the guys were very helpful, even offering to phone me to take my order! In the end it arrived in Spain in five days, and was very easy to set up.
    I have nothing to do with the firm, but have been struggling with site wifi for two years now, so this is a revelation!
    Thought I'd let other fun steers in on the secret!
    :Smile::Smile::BigGrin::RollEyes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. buttons

buttons Funster

You are right it is not cheap, there are a plethora of similar gadgets available that do the same job for a more realistic price. I guess the " i " in the name will double the price.:BigGrin:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Stonemags76

Stonemags76 Funster

I forgot to mention, it is wifi, and enables use of multiple wireless devices at the same time in the van. I can be on the ipad, and Paul can be on the macbook at the same time wirelessly.
    :Smile::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nirvanauk

Nirvanauk Funster

May be a daft question but as it is a directional antenna then how do you know what direction to point it in?

5. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

6. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I have got this one too. I did a quick review of it on here a few months back but dont know how to find it.

7. hilldweller

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ukbill

ukbill Funster

9. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I am getting one as well but with the 3G integrated.
    It will have a 3G antenna on the roof and the directional wifi antenna.
    One box inside to manage all the connections and switch between them.
    4 port lan box to connect my main computer up and wifi for my laptop, tablet and phone :thumb:

Expensive but a great bit of kit.

10. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

A cheap and simple wi-fi booster I use at home is an extension cable between the wi-fi card on the PC and the antenna that normally sticks out the back of the wi-fi card. Only costs a few quid on eBay.

If an upstairs room is out of range or has dodgy reception I can re-site the antenna away from the back of the PC so it picks up a clearer signal.

11. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

12. ukbill

ukbill Funster

looks good but its more for if you want to connect more than 1 device isn't :Smile:

13. Chris

Yes I think so. In the Summer in Spain I was on a site and was able to buy one wifi voucher and 4 of us were running iPads off that one voucher. I could have shared the code with my neighbours and would have done had they not been grumpy Germans:BigGrin:

It's also good in the UK to pick up BT Openzone.

In France on most sites I was able to point the antennae at the free wifi bar or office and pick up a powerful signal.

It is pricey but we tend to stay on sites and buy wifi vouchers so it will pay for itself in the long run.

I doubt it's the best or cheapest thing on the market but it suits my very limited IT skills.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ukbill

ukbill Funster

hopefully the 1 coming today will be all i need i just need 1 so that it can pick up the wifi on sites that have it at designated spots
    and anyway its another gadget :Laughing:

15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I bought a directional wi fi booster from a different supplier last year, this had been given good reviews by others. I found that this did not significantly improve the connectivity of my laptop and in some cases it was worse, I tried the booster on a friends laptop in the same location and it worked OK, more networks etc.

A few observations and questions:

Is the wi fi booster basically a better LAN card than is fitted in most laptops, especially tablets, with a signal amplification circuit.If so does this mean that if your laptop has a good wifi Lan card and good connectivity then a booster does not make much difference as seems to be the case with mine.

My understanding of networks is that no matter how good your connection to a network is the speed of the connection will depend on the bandwidth supplied to the network by the ISP and the speed on the network will decrease according to useage by other users of the network. For example would a few people watching internet TV reduce the bandwidth available to other users.

Does a booster 'grab' a signal to the detriment of other users as some people I have spoken to seem to think.

My techie knowledge is very limited so any not too techie answers would be very much appreciated.:Smile:

16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

17. hilldweller

A few comments in red

18. Chris

Dont know much about this sort of thing. All I can say is if I switch my ipad on it might detect 5 or so available networks. The motorhome wifi device would pick up 20 of varying strength. Even if it picks up the same network it boosts the signal strength coming into the van.

So if you see a site wifi aerial for example and point the exterior aerial in its direction a 1 bar reception can become 5 bars.

19. hilldweller

Spot on. A Directional aerial is just the same as a telescope. The more directional the more it boosts the signal but the more accurately you need to point it.

Telescope = magnification. Aerial = gain.

And just like a telescope, you want to see the stars you don't point it through a window, you go outside for a clear view.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Chris

I tried this gadget out at home first. I live in a built up area. My ipad picked up our immediate neighbours networks, probably 2 or 3.
    When I plugged the iboost in the list of available networks was 2 or 3 pages.