Why?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Rob e Lee, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

We used to caravan and now have a Motorhome. Can anyone give me advantages over towing a trailer/car behind motorhome as opposed to car towing a caravan? I know a caravan takes setting up a bit more but then you immediately have the advantage of a smaller vehicle to get you to those out of the way places.

Rob

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you have a small motorhome you really have no reason to tow a vehicle. If you are a motorhomer that likes to set up camp like a caravanner, ie awnings and patio plants, then a small car can come in handy when you need to get out and about.

I've never felt the need to tow, but then I've been a grateful passenger in cars that others have towed. :thumb:

3. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

Hello Jim

Thanks for that quick response! My wife and I are loving our Motorhome and use 2 x Electric Bikes to get around. We have the type of bike that always require you to pedal and feel that we get a fair amount of exercise when using them. We've seen so much more with the bikes rather than keep jumping in the car.

Rob

4. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, we had a caravan years ago, great when the kids are young.:Smile:

But wanted a motorhome to tour, and that's what we do most of the time, but if we are going to be in one place as in Spain over winter, or an out of the way site, we take the car on a trailer.

So we have the choice, and sometimes we have the car with us.:Smile:

You have no choice when you have a caravan. :Wink:

We go to Germany September / October and never take the car, we stay on stellplatz and the chosen form of transport are bicycles, the Germans are sorted with their cycle paths.:thumb: Bob.

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

After years of motorhoming we have now gone back to a caravan.. for several reason ..

1) cheaper to buy and own, no tax or MOT
    2) we have car to run around in
    3) for it's size, (12ft) it offers more living space than a similar sized MH

the advantages of a MH are

1) you can use aires
    2) you can wildcamp
    3) it's quicker to set up on site
    4) on board fresh and waste tanks

IMO , a motorhome is best suited for touring with one or two night stays, a caravan is better for longer on-site stays.. but in saying that, we have also toured extensively with a twin axle caravan..

A small campervan gives you the best of both worlds, but with a big compromise in living space and facilities..

There is no right/wrong , only what suits you..

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I've been posting the same for years now.

It seems crazy to wear out a car towing it behind a MH.

Generally speaking a caravan offers better accommodation because of all the space a cab takes. A lot cheaper too.

If you want to tour - MH, if you want a long relaxing stay - caravan.

I must say, I've never towed a caravan so I may be talking bollox.

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Did you not consider putting bikes in a caravan ?

We love our electric bikes. Well, my wife is not quite so keen after falling off hers and sampling Spanish hospitals.

8. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

I do not set plants

I do not set up plant pots JIM... everything else as you know.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob:Blush:

9. aba

aba

if you have a larger motorhome and a family car it can be easier to tow the car with the motorhome as most of the popular family cars eg ford focus peugeot 307/8 cant tow a suitable sized caravan you need a 4x4 and the road tax on some 4x4's can be more than the motorhome and car and if you tow the car with the motorhome you can leave it at home if you dont want to tow.

in my circumstances and there being only 2 of us we have a smart and an a frame but quite a large motorhome.
    the cost of insurance for both vehicles is around £900.00 the road tax for 12 months is £165 for the motorhome and £30 for the smart.
    most 4x4's wont do the 40mpg of the smart on a daily running around basis and will cost more than £195 to tax for 12 months.

its just what suits your circumstances at the time.
    i did look at 5th wheelers but the running costs of the large 4x4 was just prohibitive.

10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I towed quite big vans for donkeys years without a 4x4, . There are several good modern family diesel cars that will tug a large van very ably.. and return over 40mpg .. no need for a thirsty 4x4

11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We bought a motorhome, rather than a caravan, as neither of us has towed and we didn't fancy starting. At the moment the MH (second one) suits us as we are happy to walk/cycle/use public transport. If we ever get to the stage where we need a car to get around, though, we will trade in the MH and current small family car for a larger car and a caravan.

12. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

You can't take a car, caravan and motorbike.

13. Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee Funster

We Did

Hi Brian,

When our two sons were small we always took our bikes. We carried two bikes on top of car and two on tow-hitch. Have always liked cycling and now with the two Electric Bikes we can go further afield. Often we end up having cycled 30-35 miles and hills that got in the way were no so daunting!

Oh by the way, my wife fell of her bike in Brugge - no injuries, just embarrassed.

Rob

14. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

We are going from a caravan to motorhome very soon (hopefully) the reason we are changing is that we have never moved the car once we got on site, we only chose sites that are a max 2 mile walk from villages or pubs etc and only do a max of 3 nights in the same place.

Andy

15. Terry

Terry Funster

Well I for one never understood why some people with small sub 20ft m/hs tow a car :BigGrin: why would you want to ?OK if you have a large RV that cannot get to most places :Doh: but then again a caravan may well be the better option-Good job we are all different :thumb::BigGrin:
    terry

16. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Just about freedom of choice.

Had a caravan and loved it.

Have a motorhome and love it more.

Sometimes we have the car with us, sometimes we don't.

Sometimes we eat meat, sometimes we eat salad.

Wha't you don't get with the caravan is that choice. Unless of course you have a couple of shire horses.

The comment about having ot have a 4x4 to tow a caravan is ludicrous, but nearly all caravaners seem to believe it.