Why when we spent 30k,40k,50k+ on a MH

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by colyboy, Nov 3, 2015.

1. colyboy

colyboy Funster

Why when we spend 30/40/50k+ on a MH. We then have to shell out many more pounds to have a decent lock on our doors and windows?

colyboy

• Like Like x 2
  2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I didn't

3. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Neither did I (y)

4. G7UXG

G7UXG Funster

Me neither.

5. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

There isn't a lock made that will stop thieves if they want to be in and the opportunity presents itself.
    They will just do far more damage.

• Like Like x 5
  6. hchris

hchris Funster

Very true how can you make plastic windows secure

• Like Like x 2
  7. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

As above. Its pretty easy just to simply break a window if they want to get in.

• Like Like x 2
  8. chaser

chaser Funster

I'd be more worried about having to take it back to the dealers to have it put right.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Agree with the above, plastic and thin sheet metal isn't going to stand up to leverage by a decent hand tool or crowbar for very long

Extra locks on doors are pointless when you have flimsy plastic windows

Get an alarm that'll make their ears bleed and use common sense when choosing where to stop/park

• Like Like x 2
  10. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Having had an attempted burglary in our van at Pisa a couple of months ago due to them pulling on one of the side windows and braking the catches I was asking the same question! Fortunately our dogs were inside so that's as far as they got!

I was able to secure the windows by putting some straps round the window support arms where they are attached to the side of the window 'glass' and then round the casing for the blinds at each side - it was very secure then and would be a good way to secure them in the future but the worry is that if they then tried to get in again the likelihood is that they'd break the 'glass' itself!!!! I'm working on a more visual deterrent so they can see that even if they did manage to get the window open it wouldn't do them any good as they wouldn't physically be able to get in ... similar to the bars on the rear windows to stop us falling out when in bed - you can see them on the rear door windows and one on the side window too.

As for the rear door windows themselves, by locking the bike rack in the closed position they wouldn't be able to get them open at all.

[​IMG]

11. chaser

chaser Funster

Always thought this, while you don't want people in your van , don't really know what they would Nick that would make them a lot of money apart from passports , all that's in ours is two old phones maybe the tv but it would have a job to be worth £20 apart from this its just clothes and food , we don't carry any money above £50 , no computers , no cameras, nothing of any value they would have a right shock.

12. parknride

parknride Funster

It's the inconvenience isn't it, and I have nightmares my cat would get out if they broke a window and get lost. :cry:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

Yeah but the scumbag thief doesn't know that until the damage is done though

I've bought a cheap tablet (£80) which is small enough to hide so really there's only the tv to steal albeit this is well out of sight in a cupboard when we are out of the van.
    I haven't fitted a tv bracket for security reasons as it would be a dead giveaway there was a tv in the van somewhere to a thief peering into the unoccupied van

Our phones and cash/cards stay with us when we go out and would be extremely difficult to steal when we are asleep without having to move us off the bed!

• Like Like x 2
  14. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

So gassing you no good either ;):D

• Like Like x 4
  15. Eve

Eve Read Only Funster

My van has very dark windows,I have often sat and watched people put there faces so close looking in,and they don't realise I am a bit further up looking at them!
    British vans will always be a target,and agree,if a thief wants to break in they will find away,commen sense does play a large part any where you are.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

This is my onboard security. Anyone who wants to break in is welcome to try it (y)

IMG_0021.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  17. etap

etap Funster

Minxygirl has given us the answer to the break in problem.
    Get an alarm that makes a sound like a loud dog, that should do it.
    Etap

18. buttons

buttons Funster

I had a young chap call yesterday selling security. I said we have a good security system, he said what is it, I said would you like to come in and meet him. He declined the offer..:)

• Like Like x 2
  19. Zigisla

Zigisla Funster

I have been thinking of this since we ordered the unit a few weeks ago and it began to take over my every waking moment. Then after reading a few threads and starting a huge bun fight between those defo for and those defo against, I have come to a conclusion. Seriously think of how you use the unit, where it will be stored and most importantly the likely areas you will leave it for hours on end when out walking or such like. I, for the first year or so will be on the New Forest Sites and a few of the BritStop pitches. Will be unit be stolen? - most unlikely as the cab has alarm, immobiliser and the unit has tracker fitted. Will they break in? - Possibly, but what damage will be done. If I have the external door locks, then as said before, the damage doesn’t bare thinking about or they move onto smashing the windows. Can they jimmy the flimsy hab door? - yes, when in will they damage the inside rummaging around? - maybe not. Although terrifying, aggravating etc, replace the hab door lock and move on. I too have two dogs, will they be with us yes, but not always and can be left in the unit. They will certainly be in at night time. I had my Folding Camper gas locker broken into and whilst it wound me up that I have been violated and nicked my stuff, it was the damage done to the front end when they ripped the locks through the flimsy body panel. Yes insurance paid out, but I had to postpone a trip cos the locker couldn’t be secured. Another lesson learnt, make sure you have personnel contents cover as the gas bottles and tools, even the pegs weren’t covered.

• Like Like x 1
  20. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

Whilst I agree with everything that has been written so far.

Sometimes, having additional security bolts, alarms and tracking devices is not a choice.

It is often required by companies offering insurance.

Stef.

• Like Like x 1