why the wait?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GWAYGWAY, Apr 23, 2016.

1. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I have spoken to a Hymer Dealer about a new A class that is in their depot and for sale and was told that they would not be able to let me have it for 10 weeks because they have to produce documentation to HMRC that the VAT will be paid and the once that was done DVLC would take week to produce a registration document. I know I could get one from Belgium pay the VAT and get it inspected for less time than that.. Is this Bu****it as they are selling a UK spec vehicle that should not need to be inspected and certified and they are VAT registered so the vehicle is on their books. After they do the paperwork then the van would be put through the workshops for a PDI and I would be able to collect it.. If this is so why the hell do people bother buying new? There must be a very buoyant market to let them do this and get away with it. Paid for at order in full and wait 10 weeks?????? they might well go bust taking everything with them in that time.

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. chaser

chaser Funster

Keeping it to show people round till they get another one:(

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Why not tell them you're thinking of buying one in Belgium or Germany - might get a better price and quicker delivery

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jenben

Jenben Funster

Our experience is that it does appear to be a buoyant market in the UK, a limited number of RHD vehicles to sell and plenty of customers willing to buy them. In saying we were happy to buy LHD and buy abroad this simply indicated that we knew much better deals were available and lessened their interest in us as customers. They were right :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

sounds like a right load of cods to me too, but the paying for it in full bit and still waiting makes it sounds more suspicious

another good reason for buying used, even if nearly new, or as you say even go abroad (y)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    Will you get the next one,or the one every man and his dog will have marched in and out of ?. Just a thought.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We've been told about 3 weeks from delivery to the dealer (the dealer is Geoff Cox and it's a SunLiving by Adria motorhome) to us picking it up and that includes putting on the accessories we want. So if Geoff Cox can do it in 3 weeks why not the dealer you are talking to? Might be worth asking :)

Oh and we pay for ours when we collect it although we have put a small deposit down. It's being built to order for us with RHD, autobox, and bodywork strengthened for the kayak rack. We've been told we can reject it even on hand-over day if it doesn't meet our expectations!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Telling you a load of boll**ks, they have to inform HMRC withing 14 days of importing it and as they are a VAT registered company the VAT will be declared on their next return, as it is RHD as you say does not need a VCS certificate and assuming they are a dealer they can register it online. By the time you get it another 100 people will have tramped through it damaging bits & pieces.
    My last imported van took me 30 days to get registered that was LHD and I had grief with DVLA, previous one 5 days. I can't afford UK Hymer prices.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Really? That's what you get for listening to unscrupulous lying UK dealers...... and your prepared to pay more for this sort of nonsense!:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

We have just bought a new A class hymer at Peterborough and we have a pick up date of 12th May would have been sooner but this was the 1st hand-over date free.

The salesman put the forms into DVLA on Monday and on Friday he gave me my reg no. so I could get insurance sorted. I think your right they are messing you about, we have just paid a small deposit and balance paid on collection, same as puddleduck.

Liz

• Like Like x 6
  11. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Bought a new Hymer on the dealer's forecourt and picked it up in 2 weeks. The 2 weeks was to allow the DVLA to get the V5. The dealer already had a list of registration numbers that were reserved for him which he gave me so that I could choose the one I wanted. The dealer was Becks in Norfolk. What dealer are you using?

I agree with others it is likely that they will use it as a demonstrator model. They may even take it to a few shows as a demonstrator, putting miles on it. They can do that with trade plates.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Like you I would not be happy about this. If you decide to proceed don't pay in full up front. Pay a deposit by credit card and balance on collection. When we bought our van it was moved to the sold van compound and locked up and would not be used to show customers around any more. You have to insist on this. The dealer seems to be taking advantage of you and you need to put your foot down. Tell them that you will buy it only if they adhere to these terms which will be key terms of the contract.

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't do dealers, but went a walk round don amotts couple of weeks ago and was amazed after reading posts on here, OK, not hymers I know but he had brand new vans for immediate delivery all over.

14. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

And then zero the mileometer before you pick it up...effectively 2nd hand :)

15. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

They have had £70000+ leave and not return. They are charging a higher price than the Hymer lists seem to show and a damn sight higher than the EEC price, careful studying of the price list and adding the full whack for the extras on board it still didn't match the discounted price offered. I think the dealers are just playing the field as there is a smaller market for RHD.. Belgium looks nice at this time of year for a daytrip to my nearest Hymer Dealer by an hour.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Belgium trip is the sensible option, Hymer claim prices are the same but they stick on £2000 delivery charge, its €500 in the rest of Europe, Belgium dealer looses it in the price, UK dealers cant get anywhere near the discount that Belgium and German dealers offer. Vans that UK dealers bring in for stock tend to be loaded with masses of extras you would never normally order to inflate the price and profit.

If you really want a RHD it is €1500 extra but it will push out the delivery by a few months as they only build a few batches a year.

17. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Where's the dealer?
    We are waiting till end of May, but for a van that's not in uk yet.

18. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I will not say who the dealer is as It might just be the SALESMAN I spoke to, I am researching the matter, in the meantime Gertie The Chausson is still gaining miles, She might be going on a trip to Belgium next and very soon, as soon as I get the money from my house sale that is in final moment before completion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Well you went to the right place to buy that van, you wont get stitched up at Becks

Peter

20. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Yes, I have no complaints about them at all.