Why So Many Guests

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by madbluemad, Nov 30, 2009.

1. madbluemad

madbluemad

Hi Folks
    Ive noticed that there are 173 members on line and a whopping 224 guests.

Why so many guests. Why dont you guys register as members, it will help the site and everybody is really welcomed here so join the funsters folks, it only takes a minute.

Jim
    :thumb:

2. nozzmoking

nozzmoking Read Only Funster

Every forum will have a multitude of 'lurkers'. People who want to get information but for whatever reason don't have the time/inclination to register and get involved. I expect we've all done it.

The search engine spiders also show up as guests. Each time a post is made a spider will be in there collecting and indexing the content almost instantaneously.

3. derekfaeberwick

derekfaeberwick Read Only Funster

They might be members who haven't logged on.:Smile:

Well, some of them might.:Eek!:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

if people have problems logging on or getting booted it is often easier not to log in.

5. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

You never know who is reading open forums, thats why it pays to think before you put things in writing.:Wink:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

The dark side are lurking...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. nicklb

nicklb Read Only Funster

I know that when I joined it tookabout three months to get my account activated, do not know why but it was very frustrating( they must have heard of me!):Doh:

8. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Nick, sorry you had problems. the process should take less than 3 minutes not months:Eek!: Funsters activate their own accounts. We send you an email within seconds of registering; you must answer that to prove that you reside at that email address. This automatically validates you. Usually the whole process takes just a couple of minutes. Presently we have around 600 new members a month joining us this way.

We do insist that every email is unique and that it is valid and answered. Problems occur (every single day) when our authentication email gets mistaken for spam and gets eaten or hidden on the new Funsters system. Or the email that is registered is wrong and they never get the mail, (every other day) We then have to manually register you.

If we turned this validation off, like one forum I know does:Wink: Then we would get at least double the amount of new members, but not genuine ones, as a lot of those would only be interested in spamming the membership and we just don't have (or wish to have) a large number of moderators to delete the spam they generate.

Re: all those Guests
    A lot of the "guests" at any one time will be search engine robots indexing our vast resource and spam bots trying to reach our members.

The rest are regular users sent here mostly by search engines. Google sends us 4000 visitors most days, most of these people are pointed here from Motorhome related searches, but if you think about the wide variety of things discussed on our forum from airguns to windows XP, all indexed by google, so guests could be searching for almost anything and finding what you have to say about it:Eek!:

9. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

And just to prove Jims point ( not that it needs it )......

The post about the Pilote 800 which was made today already shows up on Google page 1 when you search Pilote 800.

Thats fast.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  10. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

A lot are going to be disappointed who Googled 'minge r' :Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. nicklb

nicklb Read Only Funster

Not a problem, I am here now and lovin it:thumb:

12. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Google is constantly indexing the site and then placing our content high. Look, I just Googled "why so many guests" The name of this thread :Smile:

13. Wyaye wires

Wyaye wires

Google is just amazing! Thats how we found this site and joined the funsters - the best thing we have done

:Smile: