Why is there such prejudice against fitted aircon (1 Viewer)

Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Hello we are new to this forum, but are avid motorhomers, previously touring caravaners for 3 years prior to having our motorhome now for 12 months, we had fixed aircon on both caravans, heating and cooling,but due to roof constraints due to extra solar we have just cooling,we’ve had truma aventas on our caravans but have truma compact on our bessacarr 494. We enjoy the comfort of having on demand cooling for the rare English hot days but find it’s a necessity for warmer parts of Europe,we go out for the day and like to come back to a cool retreat.we have never had issues with noise complaints we are considerate of noise for other people and choose sites with larger hedged or screened pitches, so many people say aircon isn’t necessary and you just need a good fan and shades or blinds down,we are all different but each to their own, we would not be without aircon.we love the heat and sun but when you just want to cool off or when you get into a cool fresh bed its so worth it.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Welcome, not noticed any air con haters.

There are lots of people who don’t have it as it’s reliant on hook up which we don’t use. If I was always on hook up, I would consider it.

I use one at home when on nights and find them great.

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
:pink:

Not sure I’d class it as prejudice. I reckon everyone is free to fit whatever they like to their van …personally I wouldn’t for a couple of reasons.

Weight - I like being under 3,5 tonnes and it helps keep payload for other things.
Power - its good to be able to not have to rely on mains and Aircon would use valuable power

With a campervan, I know we not exactly roughing it, but being out in the air, even if it is hot, is all part of the experience.

PS the other issue is that the adria twin aircon unit means you lose the skylight over the beds and it makes the rear of the van far too dark

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
:hiya2: and welcome to Fun. No opinion on air con but your user name will go down well! :nod:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Welcome To The Dark Side ..

May 25, 2019
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2017
Hi and welcome
Can I ask how you have found the Truma compact - we currently have a Truma aventa which has been great but on our new van -if it ever arrives - we’re thinking of getting the compact- also is your the compact or compact plus ?

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We are rarely on EHU. Even with our 450W of solars and LiFePo4 batteries we would not be able to run it for much time. We don't head for the likes of Spain in the summer so not in the scorching sun Instead we go spring and autumn. Comfortably warm is what we like.

OP
OP
the darkside
Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Hi and welcome
Can I ask how you have found the Truma compact - we currently have a Truma aventa which has been great but on our new van -if it ever arrives - we’re thinking of getting the compact- also is your the compact or compact plus ?
Hello,we have the compact,just cooling no heat pump as it’s a smaller unit

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We had some French guy complain about the noise last year.
He kept us up most of the night before having his friends around talking and drinking into the small hrs.
The next day he wanted to sleep at midday outside on his pitch in the shade of our van and complained it was noisy.
It was ticking over on night settings. You could hardly hear it.
Although he never spoke English he understood my short response.
They are worth every penny. Keeping the dog cool.
Welcome to fun :dance2:

OP
OP
the darkside
Nov 20, 2022
Congleton
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 494 lounge
Hello,we have the compact,just cooling no heat pump as it’s a smaller unit
If I listened to the negative comments I wouldn’t have EP levellers, Truma aircon, twin 11kg Gaslow, 32” & 27” tv’s, 560ah Lithium

But I don’t so have everything and a lot more

Welcome btw 😉👍
Well said,we like what we like and to hell with what others think

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
The the darkside said : I’ve been reading the forums for months, just an observation how many say it’s unnecessary to have it,it was an observation thats all.

Mind you we are sat at Salerno in Itay at present in 37 degrees of heat and at times like this a/c seems a rather attractive option. 🤪

Oct 10, 2009
Bishop's Stortford
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Since 2011
Two on Tour Re: It being the darkside ‘s first post, as an “ignorant techie” (an oxymoron I know) I found it both timely and informative. I have just agreed a battery upgrade and the installer was singing the praises of aircon. He wasn’t doing a hard sell as he already has too much work, but he uses it on sites with a solar and an inverter adding the extra power needed.
I wonder if, with the development of battery power and sites charging for electricity, a new breed of “glamping” tourers will be joining us more hardy folk?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We seldom stop on sites in hot countries so no hook up so it would be a bit pointless.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Until you hear a Penguin Aircon unit, as fitted to many American RVs, at full chat youll know you ain't heard noisy.
Mine had one in the bedroom and one in the lounge. Luckily there wasn't enough amps on hookup to run both together.
Designed to run on American 50 amp hookup

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
We have the Truma Aventa 2400 fitted and it was useful to have when camped in Athens recently. I’m currently investigating the possibility of running it from an inverter when off grid as we have a reasonable solar and battery setup. I wouldn’t want to run it in full cooling mode but just in top ventilation mode in conjunction with the blown air Truma at the lower level - it works well like this with the roof vents open when I’ve tried it out. I suspect that the power consumption in that mode would be manageable but there’s nothing stated in the manual. I’ll email Truma and see if they can thrown some light on it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back