Why fit a microwave .....reasons to be cheerful, Part 1 ... (1 Viewer)

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Baked beans, no need to get a pan out. search for an igniter, get the gas hob lit, watch the pan, then wash and dry the pan afterwards

If that's not a (minor) reason to be cheerful, I'm sure there are others ...

IMG_20230504_121739.jpg

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Yeahbutt.. you have to have loads of battery power plus an inverter.. or stay on sites all the time.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
We've never used ours. Just takes up cupboard space. But then we rarely stay on sites with leccy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Our van came with a microwave and when on hook up. Use it most of the time for cooking veggies in a plastic steam type pot and the occassional baked potato or the 2min bags of rice.we only ever use it via the inverter except for short bursts of 2 to 3 mins only and only when we can recharge easily.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Our van came with a microwave and when on hook up. Use it most of the time for cooking veggies in a plastic steam type pot and the occassional baked potato or the 2min bags of rice.we only ever use it via the inverter except for short bursts of 2 to 3 mins only and only when we can recharge easily.
Same usage style for us too Jim. (y)

I draw the line at buying baked beans in microwavable containers. I prefer to open the can of Branston, empty the contents into one of our own microwavable dishes, add a nob of butter, and nuke the lot, until piping hot. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)

OP
OP
M

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....

I draw the line at buying baked beans in microwavable containers. I prefer to open the can of Branston, empty the contents into one of our own microwavable dishes, add a nob of butter, and nuke the lot, until piping hot. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
I wouldn't expect anything less from a mess manager ... ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Did a bit of research and we ditched our microwave, and replaced it with a mini oven of same physical size. Much much more efficient, power is 1:1 resistive and can do lots more than a microwave. It can be a grill as well as a oven.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Did a bit of research and we ditched our microwave, and replaced it with a mini oven of same physical size. Much much more efficient, power is 1:1 resistive and can do lots more than a microwave. It can be a grill as well as a oven.
Yes, but you have megawatts of batteries. :rofl:

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
It draws same 1400w either the microwave, or the oven. The microwave wastes 4-500w of that power. The oven uses all of it, and heats up pretty quick to 180-190C. Then it cycles to keep the temperature set. It can bake two pizzas in les than 14mins, and bread rolls in about 10 mins.

Jun 25, 2021
Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
Branson Beans 😋😋😋

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004

Cheers,

Jock. ;)
same here, those thieving dogs at Heinz are having a joke at the cost of those small placcy ones.
Ive had Heinz beans almost every day for 50 years, but they've gone too far and now Im a Branston convert :giggle:

as for my MH Microwave..700w

Poppadoms, 30 seconds low cal snack with some salad, pickles (run under tap for 1 second first makes em slightly crispier)
Micro chips (rip off same as beans but hey ho)
Microwave omlette maker (not the best but works and saves pans)
Scrambled egg, mmmmm easy
Jacket spud blast for 5 mins then oven or air fryer to crisp for 10
Uncle bens rice
my homemade frozen soups in individual take away cartons, (defrosted first usually to save a little power) warms really quick in these containers Amazon product ASIN B08JCGN9YNM&S stewed steak with new potatoes, all in one pot
Bags of steam veggies,
I could go on....BUT got to say the air fryer is rapidly taking business from the micro. Those micro chips take 2 minutes in the micro (soggy ish) but 3-4 mins in the air fryer, lovely and crisp.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our microwave is occasionally used to cook fish, to which swmbo is allergic. However on current trip, 2 months away, it hasnt been used at all except as a cupboard.

Wingingit#1

Free Member
Dec 13, 2022
Funster No
MH
Adria
M&S baked beans 40p - 50p a can (y)
20230505_070501.jpg

Any other cheap beans youve gotta have Worcestershire sauce in to give them flavour .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't see the point of a microwave in a van our one at home over 90% of its use is warming milk for the coffee easy enough to do that in a saucepan.

Baked beans if you don't get the timing spot on it dries them out, tried porrage I end up spending ½ hour cleaning up the microwave and no porrage left in the bowl. Not one of the best inventions. :rofl:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Baked beans if you don't get the timing spot on it dries them out, tried porrage I end up spending ½ hour cleaning up the microwave and no porrage left in the bowl. Not one of the best inventions. :rofl:
Clearly operator error Lenny. ;) I've been doing my porridge (or purritch pending accent ;) ), in a microwave for over 30 x years now, and only the rotating plate has needed the odd wipe clean, never the interior of the microwave. ;)

Oats/oatmeal, salt, water/milk, cook on high for 2 x minutes, then stir. 1x minute more on high, job done. Enjoy (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
Hardly use the one at home so don't want to waste space in the van.

Anyway not using a saucepan means you miss out on eating the beans straight from it as they seem to taste so much better like that😁

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Clearly operator error Lenny. ;) I've been doing my porridge (or purritch pending accent ;) ), in a microwave for over 30 x years now, and only the rotating plate has needed the odd wipe clean, never the interior of the microwave. ;)

Oats/oatmeal, salt, water/milk, cook on high for 2 x minutes, then stir. 1x minute more on high, job done. Enjoy (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Using a microwave and putting milk in it Jock !!!! :oops::oops:

They won't let you back over the border come independence ................ :rofl::rofl:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Using a microwave and putting milk in it Jock !!!! :oops::oops:

They won't let you back over the border come independence ................ :rofl::rofl:
Life's full of choices Peter...................................with independence not being one for me. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :LOL:

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
Oh abd they are good for decontaminating sponges/cloths from bacteria..:)

Wet sponge...or cloth in..2 minutes rinse done...like brand new
Does anyone else put two capfuls of Zoflora disinfectant in the final rinse when doing a wash in the washing machine, Clothes, towels and bedding come out smelling devine. And it kills any nasty Bacteria in the washing machine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back