Why Do People Sell So Soon After Buying

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Fergus, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Fergus

Fergus Read Only Funster

Just looking at adverts for motor homes and I am struck by how quickly people sell their motor home and what few miles they do. Made me think, what are the reasons people sell after 12-18 months. Why do some MHs have 3 previous owners when they are only 2-3 years old.
    Do people just go off the idea. Once they have done some of UK and a bit of Europe do people lose the urge, can be bothered, done that looking for something new?
    What do people here think?

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I'd imagine they upgrade..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

We're selling our van at 12 months old as we want to upgrade to a model with a different layout and spec
    I suspect other buyers do a similar thing rather than spending too much on their first MH

• Like Like x 3
  4. Phill D

Phill D

its a known fact that most people take a few buys before they arrive at the layout that best suits their needs.

hence the moost important factor in selecting your new toy

5. houdini

houdini Funster

Or perhaps decide they want a different layout, etc?

Edit: Oops, snap!

6. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

For some, the lifestyle appears to be attractive but they soon find that it isn't all roses and they sell. A lot of really good nearly new vans around for this reason.

• Like Like x 2
  7. etap

etap

Just done that, after caravanning for 37 years bought a new MH 2 years ago and sold it privately, bought another new one a couple of months ago because we wanted a different layout, suppose it takes a try at it before you know exactly what you want, can't have it all its a compromise.
    Etap

• Like Like x 2
  8. TUCANO

TUCANO Funster

There is a theory that you finally buy the van that really suits you when you buy your third, I am onto my third but it is just a more modern version of my second :doh:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Glandwr

Glandwr Funster

It does need a fairly strong relationship to stand long periods stuck together in a tin can.
    I suspect that it is not for all, but they do not find out until too late and have to sell.

Dick

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

I guess that some people have dreams of what they will do when they retire, get the mh and find that they can't fulfil their dreams; some because their partners can't retire at the same time, get ill etc. but some friends have found that their children start making extra demands on them once they retire and expect free babysitting etc on a regular basis, so curtailing the travel plans that they had. If the van is sold quickly, the losses may be reduced.

11. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

We sold our first one after less than a year. Wrong layout :doh:

This one seems right so isn't being changed anytime soon

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wicketter

Wicketter Funster

We decided to downsize and changed after nearly 3 years. Best decision we ever made!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We are on our third in (about) 20 years. Each was the ideal layout at the time we had it..... Might change again in a couple of years depending on finance but we love the van we have now :)

14. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

All of the above replies I think!

For us, we have had a caravan and camped a lot including in wierd places like Jordan and Saudi Arabia so we were pretty sure what we wanted when we bought a MH. Had it two years and if we ever sold it we would buy something similar.

If I could make a suggestion, folk need to work out what they want to do with their MH before they buy one. If I was going to spend six months in Spain every winter (nothing wrong with that) we would have a very different vehicle to what we have now.

• Like Like x 6
  15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

As already said life changes layout and size requirements. We are on our 14th van since 1969 and looking for another all the time. If this one had a fixed bed it would be ideal.

16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

some say it takes 3 to 5 vans before you find "the one"

17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Our first suited us with the three teenagers in tow. We got it right first time with having caravans . So new what layout suited.
    We sold to another family , now members again on here.
    We would have kept it if Ralph hadn't decided to build our own. We are so glad he did.
    We know we've got it right this time too , as he's built Pug just how we wanted it. We're narrower and don't have the big Luton on now , so we will be able to get to the more out of the way places we love to explore.
    I think the idea is , don't rush in and buy . Try try try.
    Then you don't waste loads of money getting it wrong.

• Like Like x 3
  18. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

We found moving to another country helped solve that one & then encourage them to emigrate to the other side of the world.:LOL:

• Like Like x 5
  19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

And you need to reach a compromise with your other half (if any) as one person's idea of paradise might be the other's vision of hell.......

If we were to spend a longish time in Spain in the winter we would want an awning!!!! With life being as it is going overseas for any length of time is not on the cards for quite a while.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Fergus

Fergus Read Only Funster

Wow, what a lot of replies and very quickly. Perhaps I can ask your thoughts on a couple of things mentioned.
    1. What is the ideal layout? Obviously will be different for different people, but assume it is for a married couple. It would be interesting to find out what did not work, what did work and why.
    2. Someone mentioned downsizing. There is a great temptation to buy big, afterall even the big ones are only about the size of an average lounge. Do people make the mistake of buying too big first time?

Great replies so far. Thanks to everyone.