Why are motorhomes so persecuted?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by juliandavies, Mar 17, 2009.

1. juliandavies

juliandavies Read Only Funster

I've only been full-timing for a few weeks but already I've noticed that MHs seem to be frowned upon by many. Often this includes caravans but often it is just MHs...

1 - LONDON PARKING. I once parked in Shoreditch completely inside a legal bay. Two separate people came up to me and told me I could not park "that" there. Apart from the fact that I COULD park it there...it was none of their business!

2 - CC SITES. Why do they seem to have an intake of breath when you say you are a (large) MH?? Why do I get shoved to the enormous pitches. I am at Cherry Hinton at the moment and another MH just arrived (20ft tops) and was forced onto the space for massive MHs. Both of us could EASILY fit on any of the pitches. I do not get this attitude from private CL sites. Most of the certificated sites seems to want to tell you that you can't come!
    PS At this site the waste disposal is on a massive hill!!!

3 - DEVELOPERS. When I sold my house I agreed with the Management Agents that I could park my RV in the enormous unused carpark for a couple of months. This was fine. The residents were happy. The police were happy. But then the developers insisted that I move. The reason? It would attract other MHs (despite the fact that it had been there for 2 months without doing so). [Still cant believe the post someone wrote about not being able to park an MH at the property they were planning to buy!?]

Can't think of others right now (just wanted a quick rant) but I know there are all sorts of prejudiced attitudes to MHs (especially American RVs)...
    Any others anyone?
    Grrr:Angry:

2. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

Generally we are penalised because of the actions of a small number of morons. Also there is a paranoia regarding New age skyvers/travellers. However they seem to get away with holding authoruties to blackmail. We had a group near us some time ago in their untaxed ,dodgy vehicles and in order to 'persuade' them to leave the Council gave them FREE DIESEL!!!
    Now the area they were on is barred to motor vehicles. Years before they came, families would go and pitch a tent just for the day so the kids to camp with thier parents close by,no more.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Add to your list

Being asked to pay more because your an RV :Angry: and when you ask why the reasons given are:

You use more water and electric and you dump more.. where that comes from I don't know.. must be all the roughage we eat .. :RollEyes: Makes no odds that the tugger with a 20ft van with a huge awning has a fan heater blowing in it all day ... :Angry:

4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

what about being asked to pay more because you are a MH? not just an RV but an ordinary MH:Angry: the reason? they see us as having more money.:Rofl1: the very words out of a site owners mouth when asked,

And then theres the charge for an awning? whats that all about, the caravan pulls up (does teh numerous things they do) and then gets their awning out, tehn parks a car next to it, LOOK AT ALL THAT SPACE HES TAKEN! we merely extend and awning and then bang your up a £2 a night? why? not even a ground sheet:Angry::Angry::Angry: just a winde out canaopy.

MAkes me mad I tell ya, MAD:Angry:

However when a site owner attempts any of the above, do as I do, move on and find somewhere MH friendly, they do exist I promise.

5. juliandavies

juliandavies Read Only Funster

you what!!!! thats outrageous!
    maybe they presume that only fat yankees would own an RV...:RollEyes:

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There are all sorts of restrictions in London on all large vehicles, not just motorhomes. In Hackney (which includes Shoreditch according to a Google search I just did) vehicles must not exceed 2.27m in width or 5.25m in length or weigh in excess of 2540 kg to park within Controlled Parking Zones. Outside CPZs the maximum weight is 7 tonnes. CPZs also usually require permits.

There is also the London wide Lorry Control Scheme, which bans heavy vehicles (not just lorries) from parking overnight.

In general I reckon the long term solution is to persuade local authorities to provide a number of spaces specifically for larger private vehicles. If motorhome owners can persuade their own local councils of the economic benefits which can accrue from encouraging visitors in MHs then they are (more and more) often willing to listen.

In London, though, I think flogging a dead horse would probably have more chance of success :BigGrin:

Graham

7. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

The only justification they can give for using more water and dumping more waste is when MHs stay on site for only one or two nights.

MHs can store up waste for many days so they can dump a week or so waste during a one night stay. They can also fill up with relatively large amounts of water. This means that one nighter MHs do indeed dump more and use more water than tuggers.

8. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Unless they were officials of some kind then they dont have any authority or right to tell you. As you say it was 'none of their business' i suspect they were not, so smile and then ignore them.
    Many large mh or rv owners are on this forum. It would prove extremely useful, especially those such as yourself who are fulltiming, to compile a list of unwelcoming sites both in the UK and Europe. Why not start a book? I've even thought of a title for you....."The Good The Bad and The Ugly."
    Should have told them to contact the Police and see how far they would get with that.

9. lady jann

lady jann Read Only Funster

one of the reasons we are persicuted i think is that we are some of the last remaining free spirits in the u. k . and cherish our rapidly dissapearing freedoms !!!! :Sad:
    we always seem to get a wellcome on the continent :Smile:

rayval

for ever young :thumb:

10. bald eagle

bald eagle Read Only Funster

I think its best to let it go over the top of your head, and don't
    worry about what other people say and think. lifes for living.

11. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

I'd agree with that. Especially after experiencing harrassment from HMRC on going out from the UK as to where i'm going and how much money i have etc......not to mention the unwelcoming return where i'm treated like a common criminal and certainly a lot worse than if i was an illegal immigrant! :Angry:

Once i'm across the channel, then the attitude changes completly and i feel more relaxed and free. I often think it's like escaping from a POW camp!

12. scotjimland

That is only a small minority of owners.. and in any case, what does a 100lt of fresh water and 100lt of waste cost ? No where near the nightly fees ..
    The same service is provided in France for free or a couple of Euro..

On two occasions I've had an RV TAX levied, what else can you call it ? I was booking in for 28 days then told it was £2 extra for big uns.. .. so that's a spurious argument ..

13. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

14. scotjimland

The discussion was about motorhomes being ripped off in the UK .. simply because they are motorhomes.. I've never been penalised in France nor am not disillusioned about what things cost nor expect ANYTHING free or to be subsidised..

French aires generally charge for water/dumping, you pay for what you use.. not your SIZE .

I specifically said we have been penalised for being an RV .. for no other reason than they think we can afford more... "so lets milk them" seems to be the attitude by some site owners, not all I hasten to add, many are honest and fair with charges, .. others just see us as a cash cow.. :Angry:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  15. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Good idea:thumb: Put us on the list at Cornish Farm Touring Park, as we don't welcome very large RV's

The reality is that we get complaints from people with smaller vans and caravans "Do I have to look at "That" all day long" Can't you move them some where else"

Also when a large RV comes on site for one or two nights, after several days freeparking that they arrive with a 50 gallon black tank full, which they dump and wash away with 50 gallons of grey water into our holding tank

The tank that we have to pay to be emptied. The last time we had it emptied it cost us £130 for disposal of "1000 gallons of hazourdous waste" So the 100 gallon dump costs us £13.00

Add the water for washing the RV, the awning and the towed car and another dump before they leave knackering posts and the corners of the adjacent pitches and you will see why we dont jump for joy when a 40' RV pulls up.

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Bearing in mind the larger RV's tend not to wildcamp, they only produce the same amount of waste per head as the rest of us, apart from a few who are always so full of it they will dump less anyway, hee hee. As to clipping other pitches then I suggest that is a layout and management problem. Other mh owners are usually pleased to large RV's, I know I would be, but then I don't use sites and don't spend much in motorhome shops or have work done in garages. I am a self confessed recycler skin flint, cheapscate and proud of it. I do not waste the resources I have lining other peoples pockets. When I wild camp we buy all of out food etc locally, vist local attractions then move on to the next place, we tour, we do not actually camp. Stop, cook, sleep, move on. we enjoy life on the move. It is only new age travellers who give us old age travellers a bad name. Businesses need to learn they cannot differentiate or very soon the people who provide their living will find that income reducing as members vote with their feet.
    I think that was a very blinkered veiw Eddie. but then maybe you have been having a bad day. Hope it improves.

17. roadtraveller

roadtraveller Read Only Funster

We got a ticket, in Chicester for overhanging the bay, and even though my partner is disabled they wouldn't waiver the fee. So we will never go there again, my other rant is height barriers at certain stores and supermarkets. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

18. scotjimland

We don't wild camp or free park, as wildman said, we are really too big, so we never arrive on a site with waste other than what we produced that day.

As for 'pitch clipping' the biggest offenders are the tuggers with 4x4s churning up the grass completely unnecessarily.. and those that complain about the size are jealous .. or just being busy bodies.. for example,

There was an RV on our present CL, parked well away from the main pitching area, the owner was getting it road ready, then one of the visiting CC members complained because it wasn't taxed !! .. What the hell has that to do with anybody except the owner.. absolutely nothing, they were just being 'busies' .. why can't people just live and let live .. some people seem to get a perverse pleasure from complaining and trying to cause trouble.. :Angry:

19. kkclassic

kkclassic

RV Welcome

I have to ask Eddievanbitz this, as An RV Owner at 30Ft long am I not welcome at Cornish Farm despite the amount of work I have had carried out by your workshop?

20. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Why is it blinkered? Pure business sense! a couple of days stay for a large RV for us is simply not viable or desirable, and we do get complaints from other guests.

As for the layout of the campsite there is no problem. Most large RV drivers manage to drive on and off their pitches and drive around the site without a problem, others manage to demolish all sorts of things and take out bollards, lights and plow the grass for us.

Our site is busy, wins awards and I am very happy with it and I never have bad days, sleep soundly and enjoy driving a large RV myself:Rofl1: