Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
doubt you would now Al.

i know Spanish law states a car cannot flat tow another car but in their blinkered view, pushing it with another vehicle is still towing it

usually just off the bferry to the carpark .then wait till its dark and push it to one of our stops .
there are alot of garages and motor shops around juan carlos,s ticket shop . easy tow .push .but dont tell anyone .sshh

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
i knew i shouldnt read this thread of for a week tommorow now i have to find a tow rope before i leave

Yes but better now than read after and weep.....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
previous link now all sold, but heres another seller charging 35p more:thumb:

Link Removed

att

Free Member
Jul 17, 2013
Lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Brand Spanking Newbie
Carry a box of matches.....Easier, cheaper and far more effecient:Cool:

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tow Ropes

OK it's on the list. Will try to get a flat strop type as they roll up pretty small.

Hand winch and land anchor next:roflmto:

Dont park where you may get bogged down in the first place. Thats my advice.
Remember get correct type of rope/strop, some are for lifting some for pulling or you could join AA RAC Green Flag etc, etc.:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
aa and rac . even adac dont like coming out if your up a track in maroc though .
gotta have some fun . lifes too short to miss out on fun .

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We carry a tow rope and a towing strap - used to be a boy scout - motto - 'Be Prepared'. :thumb:

Thankfully, not had to use either - though it was a close call when I sunk both front wheels into a sand hole at French campsite earlier this year. Actually managed to dig out sand (with on-board shovel) and used Milenco grip-mats to reverse back on to firm ground. Took about 3 minutes. As an aside, the Milenco mats were nowhere to be seen afterwards? Buried deep in the sand! :ROFLMAO: But at least the mats worked, and I was in VERY deep. Just wished I'd got a pic before I escaped.

Mike

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tow Ropes

aa and rac . even adac dont like coming out if your up a track in maroc though .
gotta have some fun . lifes too short to miss out on fun .

I used to do recovery, wish I could have said I dont like going up tracks sir, can we stop the war for 24hrs whilst we get your tank airlifted out.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
used to have a diamond t with hundred ton winch on it . never pulled any tanks out but have recovered several trucks that fell off the road .
almost put a hiab on the back of my unit when i removed the tipping gear . still have pto. etc . some things you do miss . but it would spoil the exemptions if i did . but still think about it .

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Some years ago after very heavy rain in a Czech camp site we got very stuck. Eventually a Czech tractor pulled us out - his tow rope was very old and knotted in the middle, and broke at first.

Ever since then we have carried a tow rope rated at 3.5 ton. Never had to use it though!

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We carry two tow straps-----one for light pulling and one to pull out bogged RVs-------we haven't had to be pulled out for a long time,:Smile: but have used the straps on others ::bigsmile:--------We also carry jump-leads
Nigel & Pamala

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Yep, I carry a tow rope, and also grip trax if I'm going somewhere I know will be boggy/slippery. Also have gloves...

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
The rope I use with my bucket to draw water from my wells doubles as my tow rope.

Apparently the Hymer can't be towed for more than a few yards without disconnecting the drive shaft.

JJ :Cool:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Some years ago after very heavy rain in a Czech camp site we got very stuck. Eventually a Czech tractor pulled us out - his tow rope was very old and knotted in the middle, and broke at first.

Ever since then we have carried a tow rope rated at 3.5 ton. Never had to use it though!

Our van is 3,500kg max (ie 3.5 tons), but often wondered what the breaking strain should be for tow-rope?

On the one hand, you're not going to want to lift the van up with the rope, but on the other, if you get VERY badly stuck, I can imagine the force required to recover could be huge? :whatthe:

Any thoughts...

Mike

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
rolling weight with a 3500kg load is about 1000kg or less dependent on friction. sink the wheels in mud or sand up to the chassis your talking 5-6000kg at the maximum point of load. in the real world you dont normally get totally stuck and need no upwards force to break the friction. therefore work on the assumption that a tow strop rated at the weight of your vehicle will get you out of trouble most of the time. if that wont shift it, you will need a heavy recovery vehicle

all tow ropes and straps deteriorate with use or if put away wet. always make sure you take care of your recovery equipment and replace if damaged. you need to know it will work as expected when needed

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Euro-vans all seem to have towing points------but I am amazed at how many RVs have no recovery point on the front-----putting a tow-rope on something solid like the front axle is fine on the road, but not much fun when stuck in mud:Sad:---towing out backwards (on the tow-bar) is not always an option:Sad:------Also a VERY big risk of front body damage with a rope under the front:Sad:
Even our old Dodge pick-up had to be pulled via the front axle (when being recovered after a breakdown)
Nigel & Pamala

Last edited:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Our van is 3,500kg max (ie 3.5 tons), but often wondered what the breaking strain should be for tow-rope?

On the one hand, you're not going to want to lift the van up with the rope, but on the other, if you get VERY badly stuck, I can imagine the force required to recover could be huge? :whatthe:

Any thoughts...

Mike

Take a look at the aussie off roaders recovering their vehicles with kinetic ropes, they pull fourbies out that are down way below their axles....wouldn't recommend you use the same method on your mohome but it gives an idea of how useable the ropes are

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Euro-vans all seem to have towing points------but I am amazed at how many RVs have no recovery point on the front-----putting a tow-rope on something solid like the front axle is fine on the road, but not much fun when stuck in mud:Sad:---towing out backwards (on the tow-bar) is not always an option:Sad:------Also a VERY big risk of front body damage with a rope under the front:Sad:
Even our old Dodge pick-up had to be pulled via the front axle:cry:
Nigel & Pamala

make tow points now before you need them . i have two at the front coul;d be used to mount two solid tow bars as an a frame .
on my vw camper i took to africa i made mounts to take high lift jacks etc . too late when its in two foot of mud or sand .
for some desert runs straps were left in place but wrapped in to the spare wheel cover on the front and back .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back