Which way to go? (1 Viewer)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I currently have an ageing and unreliable Dell laptop and a Hudl1 tablet.

I need to buy something to replace the laptop.

My needs are: Excel, Word, downloading photos from a camera SD, linking to a free standing hard drive, web browsing.... and that's about it.
Everybody but everybody keeps nudging me to an iPad but I'm unsure if I would be able to manage and update all the MS and assorted files I already have.
I know tablets in the Samsung range would be OK, as would another MS based laptop.
Some time ago I had a Samsung N130 notebook which was very good and I'm tempted to get another.
I think it's the keyboards that drag me back (grew up with a typewriter) from the iPad route.

Any thoughts or suggestions very welcome.

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None
While you can do excel and word on an iPad, they are by no means easy so my advice would be to avoid and get a new laptop, stick to what youknow

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
If you really want/enjoy the experience of learning new stuff and don't get too frustrated when your old system won't "talk" to your new one, then an Apple (spit) iPad might be okay but...

I chose an Android powered device and, although there was some new learning to undertake (and still is), I love the way I can do EVERYTHING on my one device.

It "talks" to my external speakers and printers and keyboards etc (all wirelessly) and has loads and loads of free software (apps).

For me Android Wins Hands Down .

JJ :cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you, like many, struggle with touch interfaces, then you can't beat a proper keyboard. I know you can get keyboards for Ipad's and indeed Android based tablets, but you then have two physical things to balance in order to use them, rather than a laptop that you can at a push use open while held in one hand. Of your 'must have' list, Excel is extremely difficult to use on a touchscreen although I expect others here would disagree, but suspect it depends what exactly you are trying to do with Excel. I also struggle to type at speed on a touch screen of any size as with membrane keyboards. It's a cognitive thing where you don't feel the positive moment of the key. A few years ago, Bell Labs did some work that showed that even the best touch screen user couldn't get above 50% of speed and 30% of accuracy of an equivalent tactile keyboard user.

Linking to an existing freestanding hard drive is likely to prove challenging from any Apple based device.

So you have to decide how important Excel is to you. If a real must have, then the lappie is the only way to go. Of course you could always opt for one of the laptops that converts into a tablet, but I'm unconvinced of the benefits over a tablet and keyboard.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Don't know about the latest iPads, but most don't have external ports to connect anything like an SD card or USB lead, you would have to buy adapters that fit into the charging port.
Other than that, an iPad is brilliant.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Get a Windows-based PC with a proper keyboard.

I have an iPad mini and it's OK, but I wouldn't be without a proper laptop.

Have a look what they've got at John Lewis - never knowingly undersold - and where they have an extra year's free warranty (2 years instead 1). Available online or in store, and pretty good customer service if you encounter any problems. If you're not happy, they'll refund or exchange - whichever you prefer.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
You don't need the very latest state-of-the-art laptop for what you want. A bit of searching around can get you a machine that is perhaps one or two models older but still very serviceable - just beware of second-hand or refurbished, okay as long as the battery has been replaced. I've got a 10 year old laptop that is still going strong and does much more than you are asking - although I have had to buy a new battery for it.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I currently have an ageing and unreliable Dell laptop and a Hudl1 tablet.
I need to buy something to replace the laptop.
My needs are: Excel, Word, downloading photos from a camera SD, linking to a free standing hard drive, web browsing.... and that's about it.
Everybody but everybody keeps nudging me to an iPad but I'm unsure if I would be able to manage and update all the MS and assorted files I already have.
I know tablets in the Samsung range would be OK, as would another MS based laptop.
Some time ago I had a Samsung N130 notebook which was very good and I'm tempted to get another.
I think it's the keyboards that drag me back (grew up with a typewriter) from the iPad route.
Any thoughts or suggestions very welcome.
I have all sorts but always much prefer to spend time on my windows 10 laptop. Office at my fingertips. my laptop is a Dell highbred which can be a proper laptop or an excellent windows tablet. Absolutely love it.... (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back