Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Advice please on the best all round motorhome satnav ?
I have read lots of threads and it seems all the dedicated MH/Camper one have issues, like everyone Im just looking for something that gives me a heads up on narrow roads.

Many thanks in advance for your help

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a snooper and am quite pleased with it. It is a motorhome/lorry one so you can set length,height and width.

It is not infallible and it will sent you down some very small roads.

But always seems to get us to the destination in the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
You pays your money and you takes your choice! However, just to balance Graham's comment, I like my TomTom Camper & Caravan satnav although, being 5 years old, it's now 'old technology' and I'd be looking at newer tech ones if I were to replace it. Whatever you buy, make sure you get lifetime updates!!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
You pays your money and you takes your choice! However, just to balance Graham's comment, I like my TomTom Camper & Caravan satnav although, being 5 years old, it's now 'old technology' and I'd be looking at newer tech ones if I were to replace it. Whatever you buy, make sure you get lifetime updates!!
I would like to have tried a TomTom Camper device, Bill, but they no longer make them. I bought a Trucker 5000 having been misled by the apparent capabilities as published on their web site (especially POIs). They swapped that for a Pro Truck 5150 which did have POI support but I've had nothing but trouble for 6 months or so, especially with updating it and with trying to obtain adequate customer support. It got so bad that I agreed with them last week that they would take it back and refund the money I paid originally.

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@GJH - Graham, that confirms my suspicions that there is no TomTom replacement for the Camper & caravan model so I will definitely be looking elsewhere next time! I'm sort of thinking of getting a new one next year when my current (paid for) map subscription runs out unless @Tricky 1969 wants to make me an offer!

OP
OP
Tricky 1969

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Thank you all for your comments, yes Hilldweller eyes are the best but a road that looks good at the start may not be a mile in and maps do not always show you how narrow a road can be in places, then again satnavs are using those maps for there basic input so nothing is perfect.

I posted this thread as I had a slight scrape at the weekend which damaged my awning, the road was wide enough for cars and me to safely pass but the problem occurred on a tight bend when a lorry ( who must of though the same as me) came the other way ( no one hurt ) but the raised verge push the top of me MH over into the lorry.

Not sure even a camper sat nav would of chosen a different route, it seems both TomTom and Gamin have changed their software and no user is truly happy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If you must buy a satnav Garmin is by far the best.
But Copilot is far superior to any satnav and fraction of the price.(y)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
@GJH - Graham, that confirms my suspicions that there is no TomTom replacement for the Camper & caravan model so I will definitely be looking elsewhere next time! I'm sort of thinking of getting a new one next year when my current (paid for) map subscription runs out unless @Tricky 1969 wants to make me an offer!
It's a real pity about TomTom but the years of complaints on their forums (which I wish I had consulted before spending my money) seem to indicate that they are not really interested in changes to their software and devices just because customers want them.
In a post recently somebody mentioned that they knew a software engineer who used to work for TomTom and said that the software department is like a bunch of headless chickens running around not knowing what the other is doing.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It got so bad that I agreed with them last week that they would take it back and refund the money I paid originally.

Brilliant. More people should be like you instead of being shafted by suppliers. Same applies to MHs.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thank you all for your comments, yes Hilldweller eyes are the best but a road that looks good at the start may not be a mile in and maps do not always show you how narrow a road can be in places, then again satnavs are using those maps for there basic input so nothing is perfect.

Spot on. In the last month or two a FUNster has described how his satnav took him down a narrowing lane. But he chose to follow the satnav not his eyes. Maybe there were no turning points. He did survive but a very unpleasant experience. So back to my first post, trust your eyes and turn back while you still have options open.

We nearly died in Davros a few years ago. We were on the main road to bypass the town but road works directed into the town, wherever satnav wanted to take us was a diversion. We did the gran tour many times before pulling into a car park and use MAP to get us out of there. Otherwise we'd have gone round in circles 'till we ran out of fuel and food and died there.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I bought a cheap tablet computer from Aldi and have tried quite a lot of the different apps that are out there. Often you get a few days for free to evaluate it.

I like the iGo best set to truck. You can't put dimensions in but it has been pretty good in the 6 months we have been using it (paid version). It does not replace a paper map or common sense. Just because the satnag shows the route beyond the low bridge it doesn't mean you can get under the bridge (to be fair iGo routed us round the bridge but someone else's app didn't). iGo does give lane guidance which I like.

OP
OP
Tricky 1969

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
I need to get a new road atlas ( preferably a European lorry one) and I reckon I will down load the Copilot Caravan app as a back up.

Our Hymer is not a big one but being wide and LHD can make some roads and towns a challenge!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I will down load the Copilot Caravan app as a back up.

We've used for over 10 years. It's not perfect but on the whole does the job and the user interface as good as any I've seen. Mine is currently running on a £35 Doogee Android phone. Not a great expense there.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I would like to have tried a TomTom Camper device, Bill, but they no longer make them. I bought a Trucker 5000 having been misled by the apparent capabilities as published on their web site (especially POIs). They swapped that for a Pro Truck 5150 which did have POI support but I've had nothing but trouble for 6 months or so, especially with updating it and with trying to obtain adequate customer support. It got so bad that I agreed with them last week that they would take it back and refund the money I paid originally.
I have the tomtom trucker 6000 and i have to say it has been nothing but trouble since i got it last december, it has spent more time not working than working. Tomtom support are just bloody useless and that is putting it nicely. I even sent the unit back as the sim had packed up and they sent it back to me fixed but still not working. I spent then another 3 weeks on the phone and on there support system trying to get them to activate the sim they put in the unit. I was told to reset my device no less than 15 times and each time i reset it it then wiped out the camera subscription i paid extra for. This then led to more calls trying to get this sorted as well. At the moment it is working BUT i have my old tomtom camper edition which i am now going to keep as i just dont trust this unit now. I have managed to put POI's on but they dont appear when you are driving only if you want to navigate to them which is a bit of an annoyance but better than nothing. To date i have not found any decent satnav, the new motorhome i have ordered apparently comes with pioneer truck satnav but i suspect that will cost and arm and leg to update the maps each year :(

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have the tomtom trucker 6000 and i have to say it has been nothing but trouble since i got it last december, it has spent more time not working than working. Tomtom support are just bloody useless and that is putting it nicely. I even sent the unit back as the sim had packed up and they sent it back to me fixed but still not working. I spent then another 3 weeks on the phone and on there support system trying to get them to activate the sim they put in the unit. I was told to reset my device no less than 15 times and each time i reset it it then wiped out the camera subscription i paid extra for. This then led to more calls trying to get this sorted as well. At the moment it is working BUT i have my old tomtom camper edition which i am now going to keep as i just dont trust this unit now. I have managed to put POI's on but they dont appear when you are driving only if you want to navigate to them which is a bit of an annoyance but better than nothing. To date i have not found any decent satnav, the new motorhome i have ordered apparently comes with pioneer truck satnav but i suspect that will cost and arm and leg to update the maps each year :(
Not just me then.

If I were you I would bypass support and e-mail the CEO, Harold Goddijn <Harold.Goddijn@tomtom.com>. That's the only way I got real action.

OP
OP
Tricky 1969

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
@zac from everything I've seen on multiple forums you're not alone.
I think I'm going to get CoPilot caravan, I'll post my findings once I've given it a few "interesting" trips
Thanks for your comments re the Tom Tom- I've always had them in cars ( but the older versions) such a shame they've gone down hill.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thanks @Forestboy would you recommend the caravan or truck version ?

Sorry just got back fron physio
We just use the standard Copilot full European coverage as it has an RV setting which works perfectly for our van a 5 tonne 7.7 metre tag axle. Taken us all over Europe in the last 3 years Croatia and the islands, Sicily plus all Italy Czech Republic, Slovenia, as well as the usual countries France,Spain, Portugal, Germany etc. etc.
Ran it alongside our trusty old Garmin for the first year but now don't use the Garmin just the Copilot on RV setting not perfect but certainly far superior when compared to ridiculously expensive satnavs.
Does take some time to get used to there's just so much on there 3 years on I'm still learning.
Good luck whatever you decide don't forget you still need a decent map.(y)(y)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Sorry just got back fron physio
We just use the standard Copilot full European coverage as it has an RV setting which works perfectly for our van a 5 tonne 7.7 metre tag axle. Taken us all over Europe in the last 3 years Croatia and the islands, Sicily plus all Italy Czech Republic, Slovenia, as well as the usual countries France,Spain, Portugal, Germany etc. etc.
Ran it alongside our trusty old Garmin for the first year but now don't use the Garmin just the Copilot on RV setting not perfect but certainly far superior when compared to ridiculously expensive satnavs.
Does take some time to get used to there's just so much on there 3 years on I'm still learning.
Good luck whatever you decide don't forget you still need a decent map.(y)(y)
I completely forgot about the copilot version, i brought this 2 years ago for the scooter on the iphone whilst in spain and was using it for that. I did see it had a motorhome setting on it but never used it. Cant be any worse than all the ones i have tried so far.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've just bought the Avtex/Garmin caravan club model. After using a snooper for the last 5 years can say I'm really unimpressed (n)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
well @Forestboy I think I'll take the plunge, and as you say its a lot cheaper than a satnav which may or may not work!!

Good luck you'll be fine just takes time to get used too, plenty on here use it and can always help and advise, Brilliant for planning and altering trips.

Satnavs are old tech now and have hardly changed in the last 5 years. we've tried them all Snooper far too expensive bloody useless sent back got a full refund. TomTom same although probably slightly better than Snooper full refund. Chinese cheapie got full refund after the 3rd one failed.
Garmin best of the lot use a Zumo 660 waterproof on our bike thats done 5 continents over 50 countries and probably 250000 miles still good but like all satnavs dreadful for planning, tend to plan on Copilot then programme into the Zumo as I don't like my phone fixed to the bike too much vibration.(y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Which copilot though...?
Regular UK+ because not going to Europe
Caravan or
Truck ???

Must admit, quite happy with 'free*' Waze in the car.

* free but with minimal data charges & have to be online.

OP
OP
Tricky 1969

Tricky 1969

Free Member
Oct 27, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Which copilot though...?
Regular UK+ because not going to Europe
Caravan or
Truck ???

Must admit, quite happy with 'free*' Waze in the car.

* free but with minimal data charges & have to be online.
Im going for Caravan+ European as we will be visiting south of france and northern spain.

I do use waze in the car and google maps

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Be aware that the standard CoPilot won't warn you about low bridges, even in camper/caravan mode.
It tried to take me through a couple of very low bridges in France but my Garmin Camper took a slightly longer route and bypassed both.
Haven't tried the caravan or truck version of CoPilot.

While it's not perfect, the Garmin tends to be fairly sensible.

Richard.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back