Which Lane Quick question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brakers, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Brakers

Brakers Funster Life Member

Hi Thinking of hitting the Europe roads next year and I've been watching some youtube videos of people driving onto the ferries and eurotunnel.
    On some of the videos there is very little indication which lane for Motorhome users to take.

My motorhome is aprox 28ft long and 10ft high and 7ft 7" wide some of the lanes only indicate cars and busses and the other lanes lorries, so which one do we take. The Autotrail I have is classed as a HGV do I go into the lorry lane or not?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Speve

Speve Funster

No take bus lane they use the same train as you and it's very easy don't worry about it just take your time and if in doubt ask.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Don't panic. When you get there you will be told what lane numbers to use and directed to board..

As for disembarking, follow cars as if you go with HGV you may get tied up in customs and truck queues..... Just follow the crowd... (y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

I think you will find you need to stick to the cars an buses lane(y) and once you've gone through customs they will issue you a card with a lane number;) all pretty painless :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

Its not a problem you will be directed all the way onto the train, It's likely there will be other M/H - you'll be following them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Linda and Steph

Linda and Steph Funster

Just keep an eye open for the height warning! Keep to the left hand lane when indicated.

• Like Like x 2
  7. The Wino

The Wino Funster

You will be told on arrival it would be chaos otherwise

• Like Like x 1
  8. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

as far as I recall there is only one low barrier and it is very obvious, as above go with the flow and follow instruction(y)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cavs

Cavs Funster

I think you might be asking about which lane to take to get to the Eurotunnel check-in. Do not take the freight lanes, follow the cars/buses directions, then as others have said, you will be directed after check-in.

(If you're doing Eurotunnel from France, use check-in terminals to the right hand side as once you're beyond them, all motorhomes have to go through customs on the right hand booth, and getting across can be a pain!)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 2
  10. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

As they've all said DO NOT take the freight lanes.

In the passenger lanes you split into under 1.8m high and over height lanes but don't panic if you end up in the wrong one. There are crossovers before you get to the barriers

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. tonka

Just to add you are NOT A HGV...
    Your V5 may state "Private HGV" that is only a taxation class... (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

This video will help if you are not sure where to go / what to do at the Folkestone tunnel terminal. If you are still confused after watching this, probably best to stay at home :)

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  13. KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield Funster

Easyliving - thank you for using my video as a guide - if anyone who has travelled recently through the Terminal has noticed anything new or different that they think might be of benefit to other travellers please let us know.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brakers

@Easyliving Hi Paul thanks for that, I'd already watched that video, My main concern was the ferries DFDS was one video I watched and it did not seem to make it clear which lane large motorhomes should go in, hence my question. The Euro Tunnel was no problem, but all the helpful coments that were made were reassuring.
    Also Tonka gave me helpful advice about the taxation class of my vehicle.
    Best wishes Tony

15. PhilG

PhilG Funster

this.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PhilG

PhilG Funster

DFDS ,as with the rest, if you are not freight , use the car and Bus lane. My friends 11ton motorhome goes as a 10 M MH through the car lane . They will park you with all the non freight , non car stuff in you own line, and you will go on the upper deck with coaches and lorries usually. Cars go up the rat runs at the side to the next deck

• Useful Useful x 2
  17. tonka

This ??
    That ????

REALLY.... You have to pick up on my grammer.... :whistle:
    Think there is a rule about that somewhere but I cant be ARSED... (y);)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. grumps147

grumps147 Funster

Entering Dover port the first separation is for border control, and the two choices you should use is either coach or car. When using the coach lane when it was very busy once, we found ourselves stuck behind a coach getting the full treatment by the gendarmes. I vowed always to use the car lanes from then, we must have been 15 minutes while cars were mostly flowing through fairly quickly. After passing this it's fairly straightforward after the choice of ferrying operator signs but for one thing, we found the gantry lane signing confusing when we went with P&O this year after passing the book in booth, and only just picked up the right boarding queue lane sign, something we never noticed with DFDS.

• Useful Useful x 2
  19. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

I really don't think you need to worry @Brakers / Tony. We last went on the ferry (Dover - Calais with P&O) in 2012 and I am getting a bit vague now about the procedure but I'm sure we had no problem.

You should bear in mind that hundreds of motorhomes use the ferry every week and they all manage it so there is no need to be concerned, just follow everyone else.

We are thinking about trying the Newhaven - Dieppe route for next years trip, apparently there is a good discount if you are over 60 and book on the phone.

Paul

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Brakers

Hi Easyliving You're probably right but it doesn't hurt to do a little reasearch and ask your friends a few questions just to clear up any uncertainties you might have, I've traveled by Euro tunnel and the ferries before but only with a car and watching the videos just raised a few questions so that is the reason for this thread. My motto is if unsure ask, as the only stupid question is the one which is not asked.
    Thanks for all your input it's been very helpful.
    Best wishes Tony