Which drill? (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Strange how opinions differ, I've stopped buying any Makita tools now because in my opinion they are poorly made, I have one Makita tool which I still use and that's a heavy duty router which I've had for 10 years, the rest have been shocking, never had any issues with Dewalt though.....tis all about opinions :)
Agreed.
I always used Dewalt but when my last one failed (hammer action failed) I thought I'd try Makita.
Never again....gutless waste of space and the battery spends more time powering my makita site radio than in the drill.
They appear to be a fashion accessory more than a practical tool these days.
Every one looks like a trainer shoe.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have had Bosch Makita and now Ryobi.

I sold my Makita because it wasn't as good as the Bosch and didn't seem to be as good quality as the Ryobi.

I have a couple of the Ryobi One+ kits.

They do a full range of tools along with 1,2 and 4AH batteries and fast chargers etc. They do everything from drills, saws, planers, strimmers, radios plus much more

I have the drill, the torch and the hoover. The drill is pretty neat it has a magenet on the top size of the battery holder which you can put your screws on. Has a built in light.
I thought it was a bit gimicky at first but it has proven to be solid and reliable.

I now only get the Bosch out for the big jobs.

Edit: adding link;

?

Deleted User
Funny as i just hit buy now on a 2nd hand Black And Decker drill.

Carry on :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I reckon just for rock pegs etc one of the top quality :LOL: offerings from Aldi or Lidl will fit the bill.
Cheap and cheerful if a bit heavy and clunkie but for occasional use it would be fine.

?

Deleted User
So why you trying to get the chuck out ?

That is my old corded hammer drill that i will not part with. I want to put a quick release chuck on to cheer it up a bit.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I'v had Makita , Dewalt top drills but the best I'v had is Metabo by far (y)

Another vote for Metabo, my 230v drill is over 20 years old and has been abused badly, still going strong.(y)

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Agreed.
I always used Dewalt but when my last one failed (hammer action failed) I thought I'd try Makita.
Never again....gutless waste of space and the battery spends more time powering my makita site radio than in the drill.
They appear to be a fashion accessory more than a practical tool these days.
Every one looks like a trainer shoe.

I'm the same, all of my Makita batteries are now used to power the radio.....expensive radio
It's great that these tools are now a lot lighter but build quality has suffered greatly I think

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
They make more than a dozen models of drill. It's up to you to select the spec and price range for the job.
Makita is more successful because they make over 130 tools that use the same battery system.
All the EDIT shop fitters I worked with in recent years had already ditched dewalt.

Last edited:

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Could have been shirtlifters :whistle:

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Or ................ find a battery drill that's cheap because the battery has died (any car boot sale) and connect the two battery connectors in the handle to a length of cable with a cig lighter plug on the end. Drill original battery voltage doesn't matter because it will never be heavily loaded and you will have a battery drill whose battery never goes down. I used one for years as a tugger for lowering the corner steadies. It went with the van & is probably still in use somewhere.

On a serious note any battery drill other than one using LiPo batteries tends to die within two years as the batteries expire whether its used or not - hence the large number available for pennies at car boot sales.

My DeWalt batteries are over ten years old & both batteries are still going strong. They are used in my impact driver too & they're showing no sign of wearing out yet. You get what you pay for. I'd recommend sticking with the better known brands, Makita & DeWalt etc. The drills from ALDI & LIDL etc aren't worth the money & the lack decent torque.

I'm liking the idea you have for 12volt cig lighter socket power. Very interesting idea indeed.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't knock the Lidl drills until you have tried them :)FOR 40 QUID (that's cheaper than any of the quality drills batteries )let alone the drill,charger(1 hr) and battery ---The jig saw is as smooth as silk to use and the circular saw is good for ripping 3/4 ply (20mm)The drill although a bit on the heavy side has done everything I have asked of it and when any run out of power you have 3 batteries to go at -I have stopped grabbing my Bosch jig saw and now grab the Lidl one and when someone wants to borrow anything I throw them the lidl ones not really caring --They all come back asking where I got them from and I have no doubt when on offer again they will go out and buy a set --£120 for all 3 that will do any DIY-ER or close to £200drill/350jigsaw/circular saw400 =£950 ??-I usually kill a Bosch corded jigsaw every yr/18mths (£135)and my Bosch cordless jig saw(£400) now sits in the garage while I am still trying to kill off the lidl one after a very surprising 3 mths all 3 are still working good -When they die I will simply get my money back :D(y)and hope they have been on offer again because I will be one of the first in the que -Gone are the days of buying very expensive battery tools,you simply don't have to now.
OK I concede I will still buy myself a Millwalkee impact drill ;):D
terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
2018, Apache 634 150 Auto
Exp
Since 2015
I really don't understand why anyone would want to put an awning or windbreak on a hard standing. Either put the van on the edge of the hardstanding and put the awning on the grass or have a grass pitch where you can peg out whatever you like.
So, no comment on the drill type then.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Aye Makita takes the biscuit
image-jpeg.101024
Got a spare Andy? ;)

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Hi Steve if you only want to drill a few pegs into the ground occasionally there is a 14.4 v work zone in Aldi for £20 it will do what you want ;)IF you want to spend more (no need to) then over the years I have found /abused :LOL: until dead ---Makita are always good value for money -Dewalt are shit and should be about 1/3 of the price they ask (well over priced for what they are)Panasonic are very good but now we have a relative new kid on the block Milwaukee (y)(y) been using them for a couple of years now and they are mega impressive(y) and 3 yr g/tee -just reg online and if anything goes wrong they pick it up next day repair and bring it back within a couple of days --A few weeks ago Lidl had some lithium drills/jig saw and circular saw all £40 each and a bargain for a DIY er (y)(worth waiting until they come back in store)-I bought one of each just to try (3 yr gtee)thinking I would kill them within a week and get my money back -well they are still going strong, and I have abused them :eek:;)They could do with bigger batteries but for £40 quid (y)(y)they have impressed me and I take a lot of impressing with battery drills/tools The jig saw is not far off my £400 Bosch one in the smooth action in use and that is high praise indeed (y)If yo are not in a rush then wait for the lidl (y)cheap Aldi:) mid price=good Makita;) top price = excellent Milwaukee (y) Chances are the aldi will do what you want:D
terry
Wow, Terry, cool reply, thanks mate (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I would ask what diameter drill you plan to use for the pole holes. You can spend a fortune or buy one from Lidls etc. for much less however, all will be useless if they can't make a hole big enough.

If you are making small holes, I would buy a Lidl drill (or more precisely, a hammer drill) which will be more than adequate. IMHO, the tools listed above are generally overkill for such a job - ideal for trades people but expensive for your stated requirements.

I do wonder how popular you would be on some sites if you are making holes in hard standings.

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
I would ask what diameter drill you plan to use for the pole holes. You can spend a fortune or buy one from Lidls etc. for much less however, all will be useless if they can't make a hole big enough.

If you are making small holes, I would buy a Lidl drill (or more precisely, a hammer drill) which will be more than adequate. IMHO, the tools listed above are generally overkill for such a job - ideal for trades people but expensive for your stated requirements.

I do wonder how popular you would be on some sites if you are making holes in hard standings.

Current pins are approx. 1/4" dia x 8" long. Plenty of awnings pitched up on hard standings so I should be OK. However, my intention is to ask first before making holes, don't want to upset anyone (y)

OP
OP
ABZSteve

ABZSteve

Free Member
Banned
Jan 8, 2014
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2015
Lots to think about, cheers folks

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Current pins are approx. 1/4" dia x 8" long. Plenty of awnings pitched up on hard standings so I should be OK. However, my intention is to ask first before making holes, don't want to upset anyone (y)

I'd get a cordless Lidl hammer drill for such pins. It will last a long time and won't cost a lot.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Steve When I used to put up the wind breaks I used a 40 quid set of aldi drill, shitty jig saw and grinder that was left in the van along with a 3/4 inch auger bit and a big rubber mallet -The drill worked fine drilling 14 holes about 8 ins deep simply drilled one hole pushed in a wind break stick/pole moved along to next space drilled another until all where in place then smashed them home with the rubber mallet - Usually completing all 14 while others around me were on there 3rd or 4th pole -I don't expect a lot from a 20/40 quid drill but they are more than good enough for your requirements -Go spend 20 quid on the Aldi one and if it does not do what you want I will give you £20 so you will have lost nothing and you can then spend 150 quid on a professional drill that you probably never use to it's capacity
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back